shape
carat
color
clarity

My appraisal is different than GIA Report

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shutout32

Rough_Rock
It''s my first post on this forum. And hope someone can help me.
8.gif

I purchase a diamond online. That''s is a pear shape 0.62ct diamond. I have already put it on the setting.

I went to have an appraisal yesterdayl The GIA Graduate Gemologist graded my color as G and the clarity as VVS2. However, my GIA cert show the color as D, and clarity as IF. I''m wondering why there are such a huge differences. Very supset and disappointed at this moment.

Any advice? Should I go for a 2nd apprasial? What happen they comes up with the same grading (Color: G & Clarity: IF)?

Thanks for reading.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
How old is the cert?

shutout32

Rough_Rock
My cert. issued on Oct 4, 2005.
39.gif

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm... I'm no expert. Do you have an idealscope on the diamond? How does it look to your eyes? Was your appraisal performed by an independent appraiser (who doesn't sell diamonds)? Sometimes that can make a difference.

I'm not sure what kind of advice to give you on this. Hopefully someone like Rockdoc, Rich or Dave Atlas will come across this thread and jump in.

Oh, and how rude am I? Welcome to Pricescope!!
35.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The GIA Gem Trade Laboratory had the advantage of grading the diamond while it was loose, which makes for much more accurate color grading than when it is mounted. I would trust the GIA-GTL report loose color grade over the mounted color grade.

As for the IF versus VVS2 difference in grading, did the appraiser plot the inclusion or inclusions which determined his grade?

I know many appraisers who routinely will not grade a mounted diamond higher than VVS2, because of the difficulty to spot VVS pinpoints underneath the prongs.

I would let the appraiser know what the stone is "certed" at, and ask him if he would take a second look at the diamond with the alternate opinion of the GIA as a reference. Perhaps with the additional information (gathered from an examination made when the stone was loose) he or she might revise his or her opinion and appraisal.

SSam

Rough_Rock
Did you say you already had it set when you had it checked by a gemmologist? It is much less accurate to tell the color when the diamond has been set. I would not worry about it. Obviously what the diamond was set in will also make a a difference, gold, platinum etc.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2006 2:10:38 AM
Author: Richard Sherwood
The GIA Gem Trade Laboratory had the advantage of grading the diamond while it was loose, which makes for much more accurate color grading than when it is mounted. I would trust the GIA-GTL report loose color grade over the mounted color grade.

As for the IF versus VVS2 difference in grading, did the appraiser plot the inclusion or inclusions which determined his grade?

I know many appraisers who routinely will not grade a mounted diamond higher than VVS2, because of the difficulty to spot VVS pinpoints underneath the prongs.

I would let the appraiser know what the stone is 'certed' at, and ask him if he would take a second look at the diamond with the alternate opinion of the GIA as a reference. Perhaps with the additional information (gathered from an examination made when the stone was loose) he or she might revise his opinion and appraisal.

Ugh, why didn't I think of that? It's late here and I'm so tired, I must've had a brain-fart.
14.gif

I'm so glad one of you found this thread and helped out!

shutout32

Rough_Rock
Yes, it had already set when I had it checked by a gemmologist. My ring is 18K white gold. For the color, from D to G is a big difference.

Thank you everyone!

shutout32

Rough_Rock
Richard, thanks for your advice. I will go and see the appraiser tomorrow and bring the GIA certificate with me. Hope she will revise her opinion and appraisal.

But does it mean everytime I need to bring the cert. with me for the appraisal?

Thanks!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the way I would do it. I would tell the appraiser that the stone has a major gem lab report, but that you would like to get his unbiased opinion first, and then compare it to the lab report, discussing any differences, the probable reason why, and making any revisions if warranted.

It''s a reasonable request, which a reasonable and confident appraiser usually has no problem with.

shutout32

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Richard. I will do it tomorrow and let everyone knows the result.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Grading a diamond in a mounting just can affect what the eye sees.

If the 18k prongs are yellow the stone can look several color grades lower, sometimes more.

If the prongs are 18K white gold or platinum, it will add a tad of silver to it, hence the reason for the G color.

What Kind of light did the appraiser use to color grade the stone? Was the room dark or light?

Thirdly, it is a pear shape and should be graded diagonally as well as through the side of the stone. When a fancy shape stone is set, the appraiser doesn''t have that option.

FOURTHLY, does the gemologist have DIAMOND master color stones? This is CRUCIAL ! Are they SPECIFICALLY GRADED as master color comparison stones. If the appraiser can''t show you documentation for his master set being graded as such, I''d seriously consider not putting much weight on her result.

FIFTH, which is also very important..... DOES THE APPRAISER HAVE A CERTIFICATE of having their eyes tested for color hue discrimination?

All these have bearing on how color is viewed and graded.

I am one of those appraisers who just about demands any significant diamond be unset to grade it. I have just seen how far off you can be when a mounting is there. There are times when this is impractical to do, but when a stone is set and I have to grade it, I make it very clear that it is not much more than a guess.

Years ago I had an emerald cut that appeared to be K color. After removing it from the mounting and cleaning it the color was E. This was the most notable difference of any stone that I graded mounted and then loose, but ever since then, I''ve been rather "stubborn" about having stones unset where the color grade could affect the value significantly.

I''d rather turn down the job, than be wrong.

Rockdoc

shutout32

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I went to another appraiser today and got the similar result as my previous appraiser. Colour: G/H; Clarity: VVS1 (last time it''s VVS2). This appraiser did the inspection in front of me and she also showed the a "D" colour loose diamond (round). At first, I didn''t provide her my GIA cert. After I told her my GIA grading, she compared her "D" colour diamond with my ring. She told me she is not confident to put down down "D" on the apprasial as this is not what she saw. And she me suggested to find a second opinion. Also, she suggested me to call GIA and report this issue.

Is this the correct way to do? Should I remove the diamond from the setting? Is it the best way to send this diamond back to GIA for re-assessment?

I am welcome for all suggestions/opinions.

Thanks everyone!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

You have 4 options of what the problem is.

1) Both appraisers are wrong, GIA is right. This isn’t out of the question. Mounted color grading is a problem but D-G is quite a difference and it’s curious that they would both make exactly the same error if they’re wrong.
2) GIA is wrong, the appraisers are right. Again, not utterly out of the question but unlikely.
3) The stone examined by GIA isn’t the same stone as the one examined by your appraisers.
4) The appraisers are seeing something that wasn't there when GIA saw it. Again, possible but unlikely. Minor girdle damage could drop the clarity slightly but altering the color is difficult short of using electron bombardment and similar techniques that just accidentally happen. It may be as simple as a reflecting piece of crud hidden by the mounting that could be fixed with a thorough cleaning.

Who set it? If you bought it mounted, talk to the seller before you do anything to the setting. If you decide to send it to GIA, have THEM or their sub-contractor pull the stone from the setting and have their expert inspect it to confirm that it’s the correct stone and that it’s undamaged. If this doesn’t settle it, then have THEM send it to GIA. If it comes back from GIA as matching the D-IF report, have them reset it and go back to the appraisers with your new data along with the bills from GIA, the shipper and the setter (negotiate this first). If the dealer was wrong, meaning you don’t have a GIA D-IF for whatever reason, ask them for either a discount, a different stone or a full refund depending on what you want and hand them the bills from the appraisers.

I’m going to guess from your correct spelling of the word ‘colour’ that you’re outside the US, which can make the GIA shipping a little slow and cumbersome. Is the selling dealer in the US? Is either appraiser?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

bp

Rough_Rock
Shutout32,

Could you keep me informed on what you do and how things turned out? I had the same issue with the color on my stone....GIA cert states E, but independent appraiser said H. I placed a post up a thread ("Why was the color on my GIA cert way off?") here a couple days ago and received a lot of the same type of feedback/comments that you did. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results