shape
carat
color
clarity

my 4 carat princess diamond!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, this is my first post ever attaching a photo! My son had to help, but anyway.....all done after about 100 tries.

For those following the story, it is a stone bought for size (and color and eye clean while set) not cut. My h. is certain that it will pass all (reasonable) tests of looking fab. once set. He also accepts that it is as good as possible for what he wanted to spend,(hence, his decision to buy it) and totally acknowleges that there is much, much better out there but for a lot more $. He himself says that its crap, but what do you expect for the money??? So he is not stupid, but actively thinks that size is more important all things being equal. I think a really good 3 carat could cost upwards of $50 with great cut....maybe even $90000 and up??? Well, these were the prices I was encountering when I went to buy it myself. He has been looking for me for about 6 months, and in that time found me a great one but my Mum took it!!!
29.gif
21.gif

My h. believes that the difference in appearance re better cut/ quality does not warrant the extra cost (for him) because he feels it will still look better than most.

I am sitting on the fence until it is set.

Maybe I should add that this is not an er upgrade as much as a `project`.

Specs;
4.06 c
9.32*8.84*6.21
color F
clarity SI2
table 74.3 %
depth 70.2 %
crown 7.8% or 35.5 degrees
pavillion 59.8% or 40.1 degrees

1231123221gdg.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been following your story and I really feel like you don''t like this diamond, baggage and all. Maybe it''s just a symbol for him buying you something he admits is "crap" and buying what he thought would be nice rather than taking any account of what you wanted. I guess you can dress it up however you want to, but I''m not sure you will feel any better. I don''t know much about princess cut, but it looks nice and I''m sure being big like it is will sparkle, but I guess what I''m curious about is what you really want to fix, your diamond or your husband? I would guess it is easier to fix the diamond
2.gif

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
I must admit my priorities have changed since I first started looking at diamonds 6 months ago. Ive become slightly more detached and Im sort of leaving it to him, but Im not holding my breath either.

I already have an er that is a good cut, so Im not super deprived. Infact, I realise that this is no problem at all....I only bring up my delemer because you guys are diamond experts and lovers. I would never complain in real life that my dh bought me a diamond that doesnt have a good cut etc!!! LOL.

And yes, if there is anyone who has ever wanted to change her h. it is me!!!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!!

But back to diamonds....if this doesnt work out, I will have to buy something myself so I will have the pleasure of an amazing cut diamond, but a small one!
30.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon, that picture doesn''t look bad at all. I know next to nothing about cut quality on princess stones, but what I think you need to be sure about is the SI2 part. Is it a GIA or AGS certified stone? If so, that is good. I''d just be sure the nature of the inclusions (as in you don''t want big ol'' feathers near the corners, etc.) and be sure they are eye-clean. The SI2 is what brings that stone down to a reasonable price, but just check the inclusions since it is such a large stone.

wen104

Shiny_Rock
I am not an expert but I think the stone looks beautiful. I will tell you that most people would not know what the cut is nor could they ever afford to purchase a glob of frozen spit in 4 carats. Wear it with a smile girl. I have a pre pricescope princess in a .76ct and it is beautiful. Isn''t even certified but sparkles like no tomorrow. It was purchased well before the certifications really were in every store but I have no remorse about that stone. I also have a Ideal H & A .70 Rb in which I seeked out. It is beautiful but put side to side they both sparkle and are great! I can tell you the Ideal stone cost alot more but when people see them both they always like the princess better. You cannot win and also remember the small amount of people posting in here are ants in millions when they are put in public! I would take that ring in a heartbeat and be proud my man could afford to even get me that whether perfect or not. Love those diamond and wear them all in great health!

emotion-5.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am no expert, but it would be a stretch for me to call this stone "crap" (your DH words not mine) or anything of that ilk. Looks pretty nice in fact! Is this the only picture you have (looks professional btw....); how about some pictures in diffferent lighting?

Did you have this stone independently appraised? Personally, I would want to know if the inclusions would be an issue for setting--but from the size of the stone and picture, from here I cannot even tell where they are/it is.

cheers--Sharon

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not an expert either, but honestly, neither is most of America. The fact alone that your diamond is 4 carats would give you the holy-crap-that''s-a-big-diamond prize in my book. Anyway what are you complaining about? It''s a gorgeous, HUGE, expensive sparkley piece of carved glass - I would take it without further question. Me and my .90ct EC are very happy with each other, ideal-cut or not. It''s easy to get caught up in these message boards, man - you see everyone else''s gargantuan jewels and you think that you need to get something huge, perfect, and super-sparkley. We all shouldn''t forget that it''s the gift that counts - the one that means you''re in love with someone great. Right?

Now husbands, on the other hand, they might need some recutting ever so often...

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/26/2007 12:56:10 PM
Author: tberube
I''m not an expert either, but honestly, neither is most of America. The fact alone that your diamond is 4 carats would give you the holy-crap-that''s-a-big-diamond prize in my book. Anyway what are you complaining about? It''s a gorgeous, HUGE, expensive sparkley piece of carved glass - I would take it without further question. Me and my .90ct EC are very happy with each other, ideal-cut or not. It''s easy to get caught up in these message boards, man - you see everyone else''s gargantuan jewels and you think that you need to get something huge, perfect, and super-sparkley. We all shouldn''t forget that it''s the gift that counts - the one that means you''re in love with someone great. Right?

Now husbands, on the other hand, they might need some recutting ever so often...
Well said
36.gif
I love my "maul store" pre-ps Leo diamond so much and I''m not going to give it up just because it''s not the best of the best of the best. What''s important to me is that my husband put some thought into it and got me something that he knew I would like (well, I helped). I''d love to have a 4 carat honker but reality is that I cannot so I''m not going to stress about it. Likewise, an upgrade is not in my immediate future so I''m grateful that I got a ring at all.

~Jess~

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure I understand. Is your husband telling you that he's bought you a 4ct "crappy" diamond? I don't want to offer an opinion until I better undertand if this is your situation. Thanks.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the advice everyone. I am feeling better now about the potential here. When I first posted figures, I was told that it was a poor performer by the stats and that it is not a good choice or performer. And I felt that maybe my h. had made a huge mistake and that we were mad for even considering this stone. I have only seen the stone once at night when he brought it home. So based on advice here I started imagining it as a really bad looking stone.

Well I told my h. to not buy it because its a really poor cut, and he had already bought it that day!!!!

So I spent the next few weeks nagging him about how we should have got a smaller one that is better cut, because cut is king, and thats the most important C etc etc.

Now, my h. doesnt get upset by much, and this all just made him laugh (and me cry!!!) And he said, for our budget, you wouldnt have even gotten a smaller one at 2 carats with everything that I want in the same price he spent. He also said, I promice it will look great, dont worry about the cut...size is what counts. So we debated for ages with neither side giving up.

Now, he doesnt go around saying I got you a crappy diamond....but he does believe that we were treasure hunting in the crappy range. We did get an si2 (UGL) but my h. thinks its more likely a P1 or SI3? He didnt need a certificate anyway as he would have bought it without as he has some basic experience in grading diamonds. (And he personally chooses all of his own stock (not diamonds) in his shop which means he has to be a details person??).

Now from the side you can see.....organic matter.....and I wish I could undo that time I looked at it thru a loop, there was an alien in it!!!! This is visible even without a loop from the side. But from the top, it is very eyeclean and white, no fog, no spit and some sparkle that seems to defy the bad cut proportions.

I didnt mean to offend anyone with the idea that some diamonds are crappy. Its just that my h. wanted me to stop nagging him about what this diamond didnt have!!! So he was like.....what do you expect when you are buying from the very lower end of the quality spectrum.

One other thing I would like to mention, being in Australia, its not like you can customise your purchase and choose the exact combination of C`s that you would prefer. Well, that was my experience anyway.

And as far as cut goes, it is still relatively unknown here. Of the few high end stores I went to, and asked cut....one told me it was a round cut (Wow, I didnt realise it was a circle!!!!!) and the other shop owner answered me by telling me where it was cut!!!!! so we are definately more backward here...except for Garry.

(BTW, I have had the pleasure of going to Garrys stores before even knowing about this site and they are beautiful. He is one of the few jewellers to print gorgeous booklets with quality glossy paper and actually list his prices. I often go to the book for drooling purposes!!!! )

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I hope that your 4 ct princess turns out better than you fear. If it doesn't, maybe you can try a trade-in with a different jeweler!! As for your dh...he doesn't making receiving such an important gift a whole lot of fun, does he
38.gif

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/26/2007 11:47:41 PM
Author: risingsun
I hope that your 4 ct princess turns out better than you fear. If it doesn''t, maybe you can try a trade-in with a different jeweler!! As for your dh...he doesn''t making receiving such an important gift a whole lot of fun, does he
38.gif
Thats right.... and the funniest thing is that he hasnt cottened on that he could get sooo much pay back if he played his cards right!!!!
31.gif
2.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2007 12:11:37 AM
Author: Sharon101

Date: 10/26/2007 11:47:41 PM
Author: risingsun
I hope that your 4 ct princess turns out better than you fear. If it doesn''t, maybe you can try a trade-in with a different jeweler!! As for your dh...he doesn''t making receiving such an important gift a whole lot of fun, does he
38.gif
Thats right.... and the funniest thing is that he hasnt cottened on that he could get sooo much pay back if he played his cards right!!!!
31.gif
2.gif
11.gif
12.gif
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results