shape
carat
color
clarity

My 2.29 ct AVR...Take 1!!!!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loved these additional shots. Even from far away you can see how white it is, yet it still throws color!! LOVE...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, thank you so much, Skippy, Dani, 04diamond, and LLJsmom!!!

04diamond<3 said:
Can't believe I haven't posted in here!!! It's STUNNING and ENORMOUS!!!! I love those facets and it really just looks perfect on you! Question about your setting. I love the vatche, just wondering if you ever intend on putting it in a different setting?

Thanks!!! I like the Vatche a lot, but I really prefer it with a modern round brilliant. I do want to set the AVR in a more antique style ring as I think it would be more complimentary, but I don't want to rush since I will have to live with whatever I decide forever!!! So I need to be SURE!!!

Volfan4life87

Rough_Rock
I'm late to the party but my god, that stone is absolutely breath taking! Beautiful!!! :love: :appl:

redroze

Shiny_Rock
Some days I come on this thread just to admire your AVr's beauty. It is astonishingly stunning and I know you'll find a good home for it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Volfan4life87|1397070561|3650641 said:
I'm late to the party but my god, that stone is absolutely breath taking! Beautiful!!! :love: :appl:

redroze said:
Some days I come on this thread just to admire your AVr's beauty. It is astonishingly stunning and I know you'll find a good home for it.

Well, thank you both so much!!! I doubt a day goes by that I don't catch a glimpse of the pretty facets of this ring and think how much I love it! I was outside this afternoon at our daughter's track meet, and it was throwing off pretty colors in the sunlight! I just wish it was about 4 cts so I could see those facets even better! :lol:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS,

Thank you for posting a link to your beautiful ring.
I'm a little late to the party, but it is drop dead gorgeous :love: :love: :love:

I especially like the close-up pictures of the prongs, their faces are finished off like the ones on my Tiffany ring.

Also, thank you for the profile shot on page 2 so I can see just how much of the diamond is visible from the side.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1410188499|3746975 said:
DS,

Thank you for posting a link to your beautiful ring.
I'm a little late to the party, but it is drop dead gorgeous :love: :love: :love:

I especially like the close-up pictures of the prongs, their faces are finished off like the ones on my Tiffany ring.

Also, thank you for the profile shot on page 2 so I can see just how much of the diamond is visible from the side.

You are so welcome, Cheryl! I do really love my ring! I think they do a good job at replicating Tiffany prongs!

As I said on that other thread, I can reach in with my brush and clean the whole pavilion with the head at standard medium height. I have found that it is absolutely necessary to be able to do so, as an ultrasonic alone just doesn't do a good enough job.

hair guru

Rough_Rock
Trade
I can't stop coming to this page and looking at your marvelous ring! I was to Good Old Gold 2 weeks ago and decided to look for an AVR myself, mostly based on these pics in your post but then also seeing them in person sealed the deal. Mine wont be nearly as big, but I really love the pattern and am hoping mine will turn out beautiful in a Sholdt semi bezel setting. Are you close to finding an antique setting you like?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hair guru|1410439086|3748949 said:
I can't stop coming to this page and looking at your marvelous ring! I was to Good Old Gold 2 weeks ago and decided to look for an AVR myself, mostly based on these pics in your post but then also seeing them in person sealed the deal. Mine wont be nearly as big, but I really love the pattern and am hoping mine will turn out beautiful in a Sholdt semi bezel setting. Are you close to finding an antique setting you like?

Oh, thank you so much! I am so happy that you were able to go to GOG and find your own AVR! I love them at every size! No, I am afraid I haven't found a new setting yet, but I do believe I will eventually change to an antique style setting. I have seen an OEC in Sholdt, and that is a beautiful option for those who want to combine elegant modern with the old cuts! Can't wait to see your ring!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Goodness! This ring is just fabulous! :appl: I can't help coming back to this thread now and again to just appreciate all the lovely photos. The AVR is just breathtaking! Love it! :love:

nycspring

Shiny_Rock
Rockinruby said:
Goodness! This ring is just fabulous! :appl: I can't help coming back to this thread now and again to just appreciate all the lovely photos. The AVR is just breathtaking! Love it! :love:

+1 It is my favorite ring on PS!! Your AVR is beyond stunning! :love:

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Your AVR is truly a breathtakingly beautiful stone DS! Are you any closer to finding the right antique-style setting for it?

mns12

Shiny_Rock
WOW :love: What an incredibly, beautiful stone. It looks perfect on your hands. And such great pics.
Glad this was bumped!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby|1436931664|3902980 said:

Aww, thank you so much!!!

nycspring said:
Rockinruby said:

Wow, that is about the best compliment ever! Thank you!!!

Sundial said:
Your AVR is truly a breathtakingly beautiful stone DS! Are you any closer to finding the right antique-style setting for it?

Hey, Sundial! :wavey: Thanks so much! I was really shocked to see this thread bumped because I am working on a setting right now, literally! I have lots of hesitation because settings are such a financial commitment and I want to choose ONE FINAL setting! But hopefully I am on the right track this time! Stay tuned!

mns12 said:
WOW :love: What an incredibly, beautiful stone. It looks perfect on your hands. And such great pics.
Glad this was bumped!

Thank you so much, mns12! Truly, it really is an exceptional stone and I am so fortunate to have it! I hope to have it reset in the near future, so maybe there will be some new pics before too long!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1437023842|3903469 said:
Rockinruby|1436931664|3902980 said:

Aww, thank you so much!!!

nycspring said:
Rockinruby said:

Wow, that is about the best compliment ever! Thank you!!!

Sundial said:

Hey, Sundial! :wavey: Thanks so much! I was really shocked to see this thread bumped because I am working on a setting right now, literally! I have lots of hesitation because settings are such a financial commitment and I want to choose ONE FINAL setting! But hopefully I am on the right track this time! Stay tuned!

mns12 said:
Glad this was bumped!

Thank you so much, mns12! Truly, it really is an exceptional stone and I am so fortunate to have it! I hope to have it reset in the near future, so maybe there will be some new pics before too long!

So happy I bumped this thread! It's very exciting to hear you are working on a new setting!!! Yay! :appl: I love your taste in jewelry so I'm sure it's going to be fabulous! :dance:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby|1437099976|3903927 said:
So happy I bumped this thread! It's very exciting to hear you are working on a new setting!!! Yay! :appl: I love your taste in jewelry so I'm sure it's going to be fabulous! :dance:

That is so sweet of you! It has been sooo hard to decide! I am getting close, though!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1437103644|3903950 said:
Rockinruby|1437099976|3903927 said:

That is so sweet of you! It has been sooo hard to decide! I am getting close, though!

Aaaaahhhh! Getting close? Care to share your thoughts at this point? I'd love to hear!

And by the way, I think I VS1 is the perfect combo for an AVR - it's white enough that it's definitely a white stone, but not so white that it takes away from the softness of an old style cut. Perfect!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1437103735|3903952 said:
Aaaaahhhh! Getting close? Care to share your thoughts at this point? I'd love to hear!

And by the way, I think I VS1 is the perfect combo for an AVR - it's white enough that it's definitely a white stone, but not so white that it takes away from the softness of an old style cut. Perfect!

:wavey: Thanks! I hope you are enjoying your gorgeous AVR ring! I just love the setting you chose! I'll tell you that my problem is that I am torn between something that is more simple and elegant, like yours, or something a little more Edwardian or Art Deco. It is hard deciding when I can't try the rings on! And it is a big financial commitment and I need to get it right the first time! I am trying to make myself decide soon, though! Have you been happy with your setting?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what you mean - these settings don't grow on trees!

Yes, I love my setting. But something I haven't mentioned is that it was only ever intended to be a temporary setting. In the next year or two I'm going to switch out the diamond for an AVC - preferably a star cut. I love my AVR, and I wanted to own it for a while and enjoy it, but I've always intended to switch it up to an AVC eventually - certainly within 2 years from now. Either way, though, I LOVE my setting and will be putting something else in it when my diamond moves on (probably a rubellite cut to fit). I'm hoping that my next diamond will be my last.

So really, the question is - what will my next setting be? Yes, I love my current setting, but my final, and dream setting will be something far more ornate. Ideally, I'd love an AVC in the J VS2 range (just lifting both color and clarity a grade from where I currently am) in the (roughly) 3.5ct range; my goal is for an AVC which is 9mm square. And then, for setting...I'm not sure. I *think* possibly a halo; I love M2B's stunning halo'd cushion and it drops my jaw every time I see its photos. I think that the AVR's, particularly, cry out for a full setting. Those edges are very sharp looking after the softness of the cut, and I think they tend to look like a diamond which is 'undressed'. I do love my setting - LOVE it! - but if it were my forever setting, I'd go for something where they diamond was completely 'housed' and 'dressed' - I wouldn't leave it 'dangling out there' by itself! I'd want to look like I'd given it the full treatment, and set it into the sort of surrounds that it deserved.

This is not to say I don't like solitaires. I adore solitaires!! But there's something about the bigger stones, and the edge of the AVRs, that just look to me like they need to be fully surrounded. In the final analysis, it's not a modern cut at all - and it needs a period-style setting.

On a completely different note, yesterday I bought a pair of pears from JA to go either side of my 1.78ct stone currently set in the BGD tapered tiffany setting. I've always intended to get a setting similar to LM's style of rb with pear sides, and have kept a weather eye out for matching pears. This pair came in recently (yesterday was the first time I've seen them) and they were obviously cut together; consecutive stock numbers, identical width - even to the hundredth of a mm, identical depth, and only 5/100ths of a mm diff in length. They're also the same color as my stone (G's) and both are IF. They have no bowtie, a beautiful round and elegant shape (ratio 1.55) and they have excellent polish and very good symmetry on their GIA grading. So basically - they're perfect! I snatched them up as soon as I saw them and will re-set at some point in the future. That ring is going to be a forever ring, and I've wanted a ring in that style since...oh...forever!!

Anyway, for what worth my opinion might have, I would definitely advise a more ornate setting. You've bought one of the great diamonds - both in cut and in quality. I'd put that beauty in something where the whole setting 'led' to it. I mean - let's face it - even the Hope diamond is set in a halo!!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
DS how exciting that you are working on your new setting! We all look forward to seeing Take 2!!! I know that it can be hard to decide when there are so many options. Personally I favor the simple and elegant, but I have seen some drool worthy ornate settings on Pricescope that would be beautiful for a diamond like yours. Good luck with your design.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for taking the time to explain, Mrs Blop! I love the idea of an AVC in a halo! I agree with you about having a frame for these stones that compliments them. I remember when Kathley set her OEC in a halo, and I thought how the contrast of the halo just made her beautiful OEC stand out even more. Then as you mentioned, m2b has that gorgeous AVC in the delicate SK halo which is perfection! I have even been able to try that one one and it is a dream ring! I will tell you that I love her J color AVC and would have a J color AVC even though I preferred I color in my AVR. The larger facets just work better with lower colors, I think. I LOVE your plan for your rb! A round with pear sides is hands down my favorite non-solitaire setting for a rb! And a rubellite will look great in the current setting, and that setting will work well as a RHR!

When I went to Las Vegas, I was able to see sample rings from LAD and CVB. Their styles are just perfect for antique stones and antique style stones. I was strongly considering Casablanca, which is a halo, and I had a chance to try one out that had a center about the same size as my diamond. But I felt like a halo made it larger than I felt comfortable wearing in my non-PS world! However, I think that is one of the most beautiful halo designs I have seen. There are two ways it can be made, bezel set and prong set, and the prong set would make it slightly less in diameter than the bezel set. So I suppose I maybe could consider that, although I do want a second diamond ring, either EC or antique cushion, and either of those likely will be in a halo, so I am not sure I want to do halo overkill. :confused: My other choice is based on an antique Edwardian solitaire, but I would reduce the amount of pave, especially at the base and maybe substitute engraving. I guess I will attach pictures so you can see what I am talking about.

In relation to what Sundial said (thanks for your encouragement!), at heart, I am more simple and elegant in taste and that is why I love the Tiffany repro setting I have now, BUT....it was intended for a round brilliant. I LOVED a rb in that setting but somehow it just isn't the right forever setting for the AVR. Ugh!!!

I'll go find the pics and come back in a minute.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, here is the CVB Casablanca (Anna version) which is owned by sweetpea&babycorn. There are a couple of small changes I would make to it.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-joined-the-cvb-fan-wagon-my-forever-anna-halo-ring.211109/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-joined-the-cvb-fan-wagon-my-forever-anna-halo-ring.211109/[/URL]

Then second is the inspiration Edwardian ring but I would reduce the pave and add some engraving, perhaps. Keep in mind that the setting pictured is for around a 12mm stone, so the head on mine would be smaller.

Thoughts are welcome!

_32460.jpg

_32461.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Lovely choices DS! I really think if you went with a delicate minimal halo design you would get used to the increase in size. Even if you went with a halo for an emerald or cushion cut later I think it would be a very different kind of look. However I love the idea of an antique looking "crown" style solitaire. It would give you the simple elegance you seem to prefer and yet have an old world vibe that would be in keeping with the cut of your AVR.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh - I've always adored that CVB Casablanca Anna - I think it's just perfection. :love:

Do you know what the other looks like top-down? I'm wondering if it will look like a simple solitaire from above. Love the side detail, though!

I don't think you can go wrong either way. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, yay, I am so glad to get some opinions! I didn't want to post yet another poll, but maybe people who happen to click this thread will comment.

This is the only top down image of that solitaire, and I have a very unclear picture of a similar style ring. That was an issue for me not being able to see a top down view.

edwardianringd.jpg

edwardian_hand_shot2.jpg

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1437148679|3904103 said:
Oh, yay, I am so glad to get some opinions! I didn't want to post yet another poll, but maybe people who happen to click this thread will comment.

This is the only top down image of that solitaire, and I have a very unclear picture of a similar style ring. That was an issue for me not being able to see a top down view.

I like this one with no halo for you, DS, w/ single cut diamonds in platinum.

mrs-blop--I'm so flattered that you like my AVC SK halo ring. ::) I think you should definitely talk to Steven Kirsch about a setting once you upgrade to the large AVC (to get the same delicate halo look)!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go with a solitaire, I think it would break up the sharp rim of the stone best if you used an 8 prong solitaire (my opinion only, of course). However....

I have the Casablanca book-marked on my desktop in case I decided in the end that I really couldn't let go of my AVR! It's a dream setting in my mind also! So it's going to get my vote for your AVR all day long; I think that setting is sublime! It's also not hugely blingy, as the halo isn't continuous melee. To my mind, it's half way between a bezel and a halo - what a stunning, clever design!

I agree with Sundial that I think you'd get used to a minimal halo very quickly and my concern, as a previous poster noted, was that the non-halo solitaire from above will look like a regular solitaire from that angle. I do think, though, that 8 prongs would make a difference; the prongs themselves can be seen as a halo to an extent.

I know you're going to make a great choice! Oh - one last thing I just thought of - when I went from the tapered Tiffany that held my 2.15 solitaire prior to getting the AVR, I was struck by how much smaller a lower setting made my stone appear. So if the CVB design is lower than your current solitaire, even though it has a small halo on it, I don't think it will be as imposing as you think, and the lower setting will definitely make the whole thing look smaller.

And m-2-b - NOBODY could duplicate your ring and I'm not even going to try! It's the whole 5 carats that gives it that 'ocean of diamond in the moonlight' effect. Serious swoon.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You all are very helpful! MrsBlop, Caysie also suggested going with 8 prongs for an Edwardian solitaire! We just hadn't gotten to a point of drawing since I was unsure of which setting I was going with!

I will say that the Edwardian solitaire is more traditional "me", but the thing that has been holding me back is that I wanted to stay away from a solitaire-looking ring because this will be an heirloom for one of my daughters and likely worn as a RHR (and I hope to do one more diamond ring for the other daughter eventually). So in that case, I wanted something that wasn't so much like a traditional engagement ring. I was trying not to do a halo on this stone and do something with side elements, but not really a three-stone ring. I never found an antique ring that really met my ideas to be an e-ring or RHR. And that is why Caysie has had my diamond for over 6 weeks and I haven't committed to a setting design!!!! :twirl:

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
What a gorgeous stone with amazing personality! :love:
I love how beautiful your AVR looks now in its current setting and I can't wait to see your new setting when all the details are finalized.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1437158391|3904165 said:
this will be an heirloom for one of my daughters and likely worn as a RHR (and I hope to do one more diamond ring for the other daughter eventually). So in that case, I wanted something that wasn't so much like a traditional engagement ring.

Can you ask your daughter which look she prefers? It would be a shame if she didn't want to wear it because she didn't like the setting (although she could change it).

I still like the halo (the solitaire looks too plain!) :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results