shape
carat
color
clarity

Must visit pearly places in Japan?

Lily1895

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I'm currently planning my honeymoon to Japan and I was wondering if there were any special places or shops that would be worth a visit while I'm there. I'll be mainly basing myself in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka with the chance to day trip around. However, I was wondering, other than Mikimoto, is there anywhere else worth visiting for a potential special pearl purchase?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Someone mentioned Gellner in Kobe? Kobe isn't very far from Kyoto via the fast train.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
This is just me and I like to see things in person. I would ask to arrange a trip to Lake Kasumi-ga-Ura and see the pearl farms there if that could be arranged.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
NacreLover|1428535758|3858931 said:
This is just me and I like to see things in person. I would ask to arrange a trip to Lake Kasumi-ga-Ura and see the pearl farms there if that could be arranged.

That would be really cool!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Sarah at Kojima Pearl Company would know if they do tours.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
A tour of a pearl farm in Japan would be cool. Sort of where it all began.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I'm also heading to Japan later this year! Lily please update us when you get back. I'd love to hear about your experience buying pearls/visiting pearly places in Japan.

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
I love the Mikimoto Pearl Museum on the top floor of the Mikimoto store in Ginza. I visit it every time I am in Tokyo.

I have viewed pearl farming off of the island of Kyushu - but no tours.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We lived in Japan for nearly 2 years in 1990. I searched for pearl deals and could not find any. Even though the dollar to yen was favorable, they were really pricey. My work gave a beautiful triple strand to a retiring office administrator. They apologized the pearls were not Mikimoto but were still of the highest quality. The pearls were gorgeous. So you may want to access some Japanese expat forums that may have tips as to pearl shopping. Good luck.

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
I am in Tokyo every couple of years and I agree, pearls (and everything else) are really pricey there. I just go to Mikimoto to ogle the beautiful pearls. If I buy, it is usually Hong Kong or the US.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results