shape
carat
color
clarity

Must I really set a red stone in yellow gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
O.K., it''s long overdue that I set this red spinel. I know you all say to put red stones in yellow gold. I do get it. But, I''m much more of a white gold person (even though I''m looking to add a yellow gold ring right now, for some reason (variety, I guess). Also, I don''t know if this antique type setting would look o.k. in yellow gold:

http://www.jansjewells.com/item.php?item_id=661

The stone is a touch darker than the photo. (Yes, it''s a Barry Bridgestock :) )

Does yellow gold (esp. in a somewhat enclosed setting like this) tend to darken a stone?

I haven''t set it as I''ve been wrestling with white or yellow gold for this setting for six months or so.

Your opinion? Thanks all.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Get what you like. I set my ruby in platinum, because I prefer platinum. Actually, the metal ended up being practically invisible, anyway, because of the diamonds in the setting.
Maybe you could take a better photo of that stone. It looks to be more dark pink than red on my screen.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
You could also do a white metal setting with a yg head/prongs - check out Timmy''s ruby setting that had yg prongs and a plat shank

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
No, it's really red.

Thanks all.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
great stone, I think that color would do fine in either color metal, so I would definitely get what you would wear most
1.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Heck no - you don't have to set it in YG! That lovely stone looks a bit pinkish-red anyway, and would look great in a white metal.

*Danielle*

Shiny_Rock
You can set it any metal you like! I would personally set it in white gold as that is my own preference.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Dear Friends.

I was about to order the setting before but since I''ve had a white/yellow dilemma on it I figured I''d better check with the wise PSers to be sure I wasn''t doing something foolish.
9.gif

White it is.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
First off- your stone is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!!

I have a ruby that I''m having a similar issue with. I''m more of a white gold person but I do think red looks better with yellow gold- so I''m doing a two tone ring instead. Pic attached. Perhaps you could do something in white gold but have the mounting be in yellow or rose gold.

Goodluck with your decision- seriously no matter how you mount that stone it is going to be gorgeous!

TwoToneTensionSettingRuby.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I'm also much more of a white metal person. I have a few red garnets set in WG or sterling that are beautiful. In fact, I have to say I prefer white metals specifically for these stones as well as my general preference for white metals. I'm actually going to have my dark red garnet set in sterling in the near future. So I say go for it.

ETA: Mine is a Barry stone too! But it's a darker red with orangey undertones compared to yours, which seems to have more pinkish flashes.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On my monitor, the stone shows a pink undertone. Can you do something in WG with YG prongs? Do you have any pictures of the stone next to a white metal?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
My spinel is set in platinum. Leon tried to convince me to use a yellow halo. I refused.

heliotrope75

Rough_Rock
I also think red stones can look great in white gold.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I have red stones set in yellow gold and in silver, and I like both color combinations. Go with what you like.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again all.

Thanks Chrono. Sorry, no photos, as my camera doesn't have a macro button. It looks fine in a white stone holder, though.

Now to set a stone in a setting such as the the link at the bottom of this post, I believe they add a few drops of a metal to each corner, correct? If so, I may get that done in YG.

I know red stones often look great in YG but - is this correct - the purpose of the YG is to minimize pink/purple tones and make it seem a more pure red?

Thanks again.

http://www.jansjewells.com/item.php?item_id=661

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results