shape
carat
color
clarity

Music Recommendations for Toddlers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I am about to throw the 4 music CDs i have for my son out the car window. Soooo sick of them!
Wondering if anyone has a favorite to recommend?
He''s 1.5 years

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Curious George soundtrack! It''s for kids but it''s great because it''s a lot of Jack Johnson and smoother type of acoustic stuff.

Also, Dan Zanes, The Welcome Table is great too :)

I like these because they aren''t kitschy

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Cello--you are genius! I have that CD!!! DH is a HUGE music buff and bought it a long time ago. Totally forgot about it.
Thanks

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
My 3.5 yr olds favorite CD is Jim Croce''s Photographs and Memories. It''s so weird!

But, when he was younger, we had one that''s called Disney #1 or something along those lines. He loved it and it''s not too hard on adult ears. Also, I took a lot of songs that I like and he recognized from his movies and made a CD. I put Baby Mine by Alison Krauss (from Dumbo), Colors of the Wind (or whatever that Pocahontas song is called) and things like that. To me they''re more "music" than most kid''s stuff, but JT liked them because he recognized them.

He still likes his kids'' music, but more often than not he''ll ask for real music now. It''s so funny when he says "Mama, put on some Rock n Roll!"

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Elizabeth Mitchell.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I grew up on Free to Be You and Me and still love it!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if this will sound familiar to anyone else but... my sister found a company that records cd's with your child's name in the songs. My niece LOVED hearing her own name and getting to say it in the song. I'll see if I can come up with the company.

This might be them... Sing a Song About Me

ETA: Here's another: Name Your Tune It has 14 basic songs that they put your child's name into. ($5 off if you use the discount code FACTS)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2009 3:48:17 PM
Author: meresal
I don''t know if this will sound familiar to anyone else but... my sister found a company that records cd''s with your child''s name in the songs. My niece LOVED hearing her own name and getting to say it in the song. I''ll see if I can come up with the company.

This might be them... Sing a Song About Me

ETA: Here''s another: Name Your Tune It has 14 basic songs that they put your child''s name into. ($5 off if you use the discount code FACTS)

My son has something like this, too. But, because he has a common name, he didn''t think it was all that unusual to hear it in a song. Still, a very neat idea.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2009 3:59:29 PM
Author: somethingshiny

My son has something like this, too. But, because he has a common name, he didn't think it was all that unusual to hear it in a song. Still, a very neat idea.
Really? My niece's name is Ella, so not common by any means, but I would have thought that most kids would love to think that someone was singing directly to them thru "the box". lol.

How old was your son when you got it?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
He got it when he was born from his Great Grandma (beyond the grave, but that''s another story...) He started listening to it when he was probably 1.5. But, we have the radio on all the time so he heard lots of songs with is name in them. My mom and grandma have been singing the songs with his name to him since he was born and we would all make up songs with his name in them, so that probably took away some of the fun of the personalized CD.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I received some Raffi cd's as a gift. They are annoyingly catchy, but DS LOVES them! (he's still an infant.) I remember them from my youth!

They Might Be Giants does kids music now too. I bet they are good, because I like their adult music!

Why am I on PS so much tonight? Oh, just got done settling DS for the third time in 3 hours. Lovely.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone listen to Baby Beluga by Raffi anymore or is he old school?

My kids loved that CD and it was a sing-a-long in the car every time we put in on.

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Well my recommendation would be for Justine Clarke''s ''I like to Sing'' album, as I have not met a toddler or preschooler, mine included, who did not love it. However I could be leading you astray (if so I''m sorry) as I''m not sure if it is available outside Australia. Also she does sing with a very noticeable Australian accent, which is not appealing to everyone, but her songs are catchy, and amazingly not as annoying as the Wiggles. For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q55dqVHgyoU

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! Great suggestions. I''ve never heard of the CDs with the child''s name in them. So cute.

Swinggirl--Raffi is old school but i still love him. I looked for that CD a while ago and couldn''t find it. I sing baby beluga to Co all the time
1.gif
Would you believe i used to listen to him on the record player!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
poor Jake is stuck listening to High School Musical and Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus soundtracks
40.gif
9.gif
when is big sisters aren''t in the car I have some of the baby einstein CD''s that he will listen too. I also just play him music I like to listen to as well.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Snacktime is rather decent. I despise all toddler music, so Miller gets to listen to whatever I''m listening to. He has grown to like it too.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My kids love "kids reggae." It has songs like Puff the Magic Dragon set to reggae. It can be found at libraries so you can test it out first. I think it''s more geared toward 4+ but you can try it now and see how your child responds.

The library is THE BEST resource for kids CDs since there are too many to choose from when looking to buy.

http://www.amazon.com/Reggae-Kids-Various-Artists/dp/B000000Q2D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1253723231&sr=8-1

Now that my kids are older 7 + 9, theyalso love real music. Heart and Pink Floyd. lol

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
We play classical and jazz for the most part. I''d literally go mental if my kids were old enough to choose the Disney stuff. No Jonas Bros, no High School Musical, and definitely no Miley Cyrus. EVER. Personally, to me, it''s like torture, none of them can sing! Role model wise, some of the HSM kids and that Miley leave a lot to be desired.

Now, Savannah loves her some Beyonce . . .

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2009 1:21:31 PM
Author:Jas12
I am about to throw the 4 music CDs i have for my son out the car window. Soooo sick of them!
Wondering if anyone has a favorite to recommend?
He''s 1.5 years
LOL, I remember those days. I don''t have any recommendations since have not bought a toddler CD in years but I remember getting so sick of them.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2009 2:55:51 AM
Author: swingirl
Does anyone listen to Baby Beluga by Raffi anymore or is he old school?

My kids loved that CD and it was a sing-a-long in the car every time we put in on.
My kids LOVED Raffi Baby Beluga when they were in the 1 to 3 age range. Now I have "Baby beluga in the deep blue sea, swims so wild and swims so free" running in my head." Thanks swingirl Had not had that tune in my head in years!

Stay away from any Sesame street CDs where the characters are singing.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
My kids listened to kiddie tapes but also Beatles, Big Band, show tunes, Nat King Cole and all the things I liked including George Michael. When they started to sing along to "I want Your Sex" I put away the George Michael tape!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results