shape
carat
color
clarity

Muscular cramps in Kids

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, my 3 y/o wakes up about once a week on average because she has cramps in her right calf.

Took us a while to understand what the problem was (at 3 y/o, when you wake in the middle of the night you can't say what's wrong most of the time... Just sobbing uncontrollably.. Poor thing). Once she pointed us to the calf we could clearly feel the completely hardened muscle...

I did what I would have done for myself: gave her magnesium supplements according to weight and it works well. It's clearly related, because when we try to fade it out, it starts again.

I asked our GP and the pediatrician if we need to check further in order not to miss any underlying condition that could be the cause.
They said no.

Bloodwork hasn't been done, since she's otherwise healthy and it's been very traumatic last time. We have to go to a lab and they are clearly not well versed with kids.. They just hold them down, which is absolutely awful. If we need it we now go to a pediatric hospital where they use distraction + numbing patches and nitrous oxide if they have to draw multiple vials.

But I'd rather not go there now because of covid.

Any thoughts? All classic causes of low magnesium don't apply to kids and /or she'd have symptoms /pain elsewhere as well...

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just going to throw this out there- I had calf pain for years. Decades. Doctors told me it was “growing pains”. Sure, that makes sense in my 20’s! Eventually I was at a podiatrist and he told me I have extreme pronation. He said, “do you get calf pain?” And I said, “YES!” $500 and some new orthotics later, I’m cured and it’s heaven.

Not saying that is what your kid is going through but I had to put it out there just in case. Make sure they’re getting enough water, and gentle stretches couldn’t hurt? I like the yoga video Telus for kids.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hope your kiddo feels better soon! <3

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
A warm bath and trying magnesium lotion for kids applied to the legs could help. Also as @pearaffair said check her fluid intake is ok.
I get leg cramps so I can really sympathise. Mine are due to hypermobile joints. ::) I take Mg supplements and use lotion.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A warm bath and trying magnesium lotion for kids applied to the legs could help. Also as @pearaffair said check her fluid intake is ok.
I get leg cramps so I can really sympathise. Mine are due to hypermobile joints. ::) I take Mg supplements and use lotion.

Oh yes- warm bath for the win! That was my “medication” for years.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @pearaffair and @Niffler75 !

She's ok with the supplements, we're watching fluid intake and she loves massages... I'll ask dh's second cousin, he's a podiatrist. I just don't want to miss any warning signs for an underlying condition or some treatable cause like @pearaffair s pronation

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I haven't had that myself or with my kids. Just wanted to say that I've also always heard that those were "growing pains." I, too, found that explanation suspiciously vague. My best guess is it means, "We don't know but hopefully it will just pass on its own."

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel sorry for the poor wee mite
i had cramps in my calves and toes in my 20s that would wake me up at night
to not be able to explain what hurts must have made it worse
i think mine was caused by excessive exercise and sweating, i dont think we knew about electrolytes and stuff
i think i ate more bananas

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I used to get this as a kid, quite a lot! Again doc said "simply growing pains" and my Mum would massage it, encourage me to stretch etc... Looks like you are doing everything you can already.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you can find some answers and good treatment. As a kid, I had a lot of "growing pains". Mine turned out to be autoimmune disorders. One specifically, is a type of arthritis. But at 3 years old it would be very hard to get test results. Just something to keep in mind perhaps.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you can find some answers and good treatment. As a kid, I had a lot of "growing pains". Mine turned out to be autoimmune disorders. One specifically, is a type of arthritis. But at 3 years old it would be very hard to get test results. Just something to keep in mind perhaps.

Thank you, @lyra ! On the list of things to look out for it goes!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably you're already doing this, but I suggest keeping a calendar of the leg-cramping instances, and if appropriate note anything different about an episode (if it takes longer to stop cramping, or if muscle twitching/quivering is visible under the skin, or if the cramp location seems to have changed, etc.). Also track anything you're doing to address the cramping, particularly as you introduce anything new/different.

I hope it stops of its own accord very soon, I feel for your little daughter ... walking up in pain in the night is disorienting and disturbing, and I hate to think of your little one experiencing it at all let alone weekly.

She hasn't had a fall or trauma to her lower back? A pinched nerve or spinal injury could be the cause ...

Last edited:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @marymm ! The magnesium has been working like a charm, no cramps if she takes it.

I have to say the cramps were pretty horrible.. Her tiny little calf looked like there was an ping-pong ball under the skin from cramping..

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I suffer with leg cramps as well, so I can totally empathize with your daughter. They are fricking AWFUL. I don't understand why they don't show up during the day!! When I get them, they start at my feet and move up pretty quickly. If I don't get up immediately and stretch it out, it will travel all the way up to my inner thighs and THAT is excruciating....and the soreness can last for 2-3 days afterwards.

Besides drinking lots of water (or even better, 50% each water and sugar-free gatorade), they come on if I forget to take my magnesium/potassium supplements. Personally, I'm in a quandary because I work in a van (metal lunch box) in the sun all day. If I stay hydrated, I have to ask all my clients to use their bathrooms, uncomfortable anytime, but worse during covid. I can't just walk into any old restaurant anymore. If I don't stay hydrated, I get cramps nightly.

I've been told that my cramps are related to my underlying anemia and iron malabsorption. Have you had her blood levels checked for iron, magnesium and potassium? I have a blood panel done every 6 months to monitor iron levels and get an infusion every 12-18 months. The lower my iron, the higher the prevalence of leg cramps and numbness of hands while sleeping. Hope this helps!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to get this in my calf. My father said it was growing pains and would massage the area until it was better. Mg supplements are a good idea, I would also push things like bananas, nuts, and brown rice since they are all good sources of Mg and K+.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suffer with leg , cramps as well, so I can totally empathize with your daughter. They are fricking AWFUL. I don't understand why they don't show up during the day!! When I get them, they start at my feet and move up pretty quickly. If I don't get up immediately and stretch it out, it will travel all the way up to my inner thighs and THAT is excruciating....and the soreness can last for 2-3 days afterwards.

Besides drinking lots of water (or even better, 50% each water and sugar-free gatorade), they come on if I forget to take my magnesium/potassium supplements. Personally, I'm in a quandary because I work in a van (metal lunch box) in the sun all day. If I stay hydrated, I have to ask all my clients to use their bathrooms, uncomfortable anytime, but worse during covid. I can't just walk into any old restaurant anymore. If I don't stay hydrated, I get cramps nightly.

I've been told that my cramps are related to my underlying anemia and iron malabsorption. Have you had her blood levels checked for iron, magnesium and potassium? I have a blood panel done every 6 months to monitor iron levels and get an infusion every 12-18 months. The lower my iron, the higher the l ,prevalence of leg cramps and numbness of hands while sleeping. Hope this helps!

I'm sorry you have this problem as well @SandyinAnaheim ! So far the supplements are helping really well. We'll have a panel done when I can go to the pediatric hospital without having to worry about Covid.

Hope you don't suffer from any cramps in the heat!!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry you also know this pain @doberman !

My other kids had more pain in the shins /bones when in a grow spurt... Less cramps.

I used to get this in my calf. My father said it was growing pains and would massage the area until it was better. Mg supplements are a good idea, I would also push things like bananas, nuts, and brown rice since they are all good sources of Mg and K+.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results