shape
carat
color
clarity

Multicolour?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
There are a few stones that I''ve found on there that I like. However, it seems that all of them only say eye clean. can anyone tell me what the quality of their stones tend to be like? I''m looking at spinels. Thanks!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think I''ve ever seen a bad review of Multicolour. People generally think the colours are quite representative. I have bought two Malaya Garnets from Multicolour. I purposely picked fairly cheap stones because I didn''t want to be bothered about sending them back. They were designed to be an instant sort of pick-me-up and I am quite please with them. The cut isn''t fabulous, but then again I didn''t pay a King''s ransom for them either.

Here''s the first, along with the vendor pic

Malaya Garnet heart collage.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the second stone. My picture is quite dark, their picture is exceptionally bright. The reality is somewhere in between.

Hope this helps you.

Malaya Garnet Oval Collage.jpg

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
They are very fair with their assessment of their goods and pricing. Occassionally you can get a sweet deal if a new find pops up. Here are a few examples of spinels that I have bought from them...

Date: 8/22/2009 7:44:55 PM
Author:joy2theworld
There are a few stones that I''ve found on there that I like. However, it seems that all of them only say eye clean. can anyone tell me what the quality of their stones tend to be like? I''m looking at spinels. Thanks!

this is the vendor pic:
sspink387vendor.jpg

and some of mine:
spinel388-6.jpg

pinkspinel3stone1.jpg

and another example, vendor pic first...

electpinkspinvendor.jpg

burmaspinelsun.jpg

newpinksdaylight.jpg

Hope this helps! And after narrowing it down some you might benefit from emailing them and asking their opinion which would best suit your needs :)

-SS

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow SS-those pictures are spot on for color! I was looking at a couple tonight there..maybe I should consider them after all!

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
I am glad to be able to help. Just remember, if the picture is a knockout then the liklihood is that it will look good. If the picture is just ok, I am doubtful that the stone will look appreciably better in person. In my limited experience, what you see is what you get in those pictures (from Multicolour). Some vendors pics are really lacking and their verbal descriptions are much more telling and there are some vendors whose over-optimized pics set the customer up for disappointment!

Date: 8/23/2009 12:33:19 AM
Author: packrat
Oh wow SS-those pictures are spot on for color! I was looking at a couple tonight there..maybe I should consider them after all!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 12:26:50 AM
Author: sleepyspinel
They are very fair with their assessment of their goods and pricing. Occassionally you can get a sweet deal if a new find pops up. Here are a few examples of spinels that I have bought from them...

Date: 8/22/2009 7:44:55 PM
Author:joy2theworld

this is the vendor pic:
sspink387vendor.jpg

and some of mine:
spinel388-6.jpg

pinkspinel3stone1.jpg

and another example, vendor pic first...

electpinkspinvendor.jpg

burmaspinelsun.jpg

newpinksdaylight.jpg

Hope this helps! And after narrowing it down some you might benefit from emailing them and asking their opinion which would best suit your needs :)

-SS
Wow that is some stone SS. It''s cut really well too, you can''t tell where the socket is to plug it in at all!!
emwink.gif

I don''t think I''ve ever seen something glow like that before. Thanks for the tip about the photos.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Puuuuuuurttty.
3.gif

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
Do they ever list anything better than eye clean?

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
No, in color gem grading, typicallly "eye clean" is as good as it gets. Standards such as IF, VVS, VS etc exist for diamonds because they are Type I stones (usually common to be eye clean) whereas the vast majority of colored stones are Type II (sapphires, spinels etc) or Type III (emeralds, mandarin garnets). Multicolour has a nice discussion of how they describe clarity here:

http://www.multicolour.com/catalogue/columns/column01003.html

HTH

-SS

Date: 8/23/2009 1:54:31 PM
Author: joy2theworld
Do they ever list anything better than eye clean?
Oh ever since they started carrying diamonds, yes they will adhere to the GIA diamond clarity system for diamonds...

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the kind words, I had them tuck the socket away nicely when it was set
31.gif

Date: 8/23/2009 11:38:11 AM
Author: Gailey
Wow that is some stone SS. It''s cut really well too, you can''t tell where the socket is to plug it in at all!!
emwink.gif

I don''t think I''ve ever seen something glow like that before. Thanks for the tip about the photos.

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
Thanks. I guess I''ve been used to checking out the other sites which often say flawless, eye clean, slightly included, etc... Some of the sites even use the diamond scale to some extent with color stones, so, I was trying to figure out if these were just ok (eye clean vs. flawless) or if they were actually good stones.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/23/2009 4:12:36 PM
Author: joy2theworld
Thanks. I guess I've been used to checking out the other sites which often say flawless, eye clean, slightly included, etc... Some of the sites even use the diamond scale to some extent with color stones, so, I was trying to figure out if these were just ok (eye clean vs. flawless) or if they were actually good stones.

Any site that calls a colored stone flawless should not be trusted. IMO. Inclusions in colored stones are your friend. They will not only help you id YOUR stone but also help to determine if it is synthetic,simulant or natural. The last "flawless" sapphire I heard about around here turned out to be synthetic. This was only discovered after a lab report though.

ETA I have bought a few stones at Multicolour and have found thier descriptions to be accurate.

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
The sellers I''ve seen that use the term flawless include Dan Stair and Barry Bridgestock. I trust both of those based on what I''ve read here and purchases that I''ve made.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eye clean is an accepted clarity rating for coloured gemstones. Under magnification, many show natural birthmarks like veils, feathers, sugars and the like. Very few are flawless and as mentioned by the above posters, coloured gemstone clarity rating is graded differently than diamonds. Being internally flawless is usually a sign of a synthetic stone as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results