shape
carat
color
clarity

multicolor.com gems

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you will be happier with a sapphire.

Personally I like the very unique round stone and I like the Rectangular green stone. Which cut do you prefer for everyday wear?

You see green in the round stone and the vendor says teal...sometimes it depends on the lighting and the vendor has seen the stone in all different lighting. Will they send you photos of the stone outside in filtered sunlight as well as inside in the lighting you spend most of your day in? That may help you pick. =)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kallard|1441833833|3925768 said:
That is an interesting way to put it, flash vs. sparkle. He does describe the emerald cut as having a flash. I want more sparkle than flash. Maybe this is why I have favored emerald cut - because it is more "mirror" like.

You could also make up the lack of "sparkle" by having a setting with pave

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1441836325|3925781 said:
kallard|1441833833|3925768 said:
That is an interesting way to put it, flash vs. sparkle. He does describe the emerald cut as having a flash. I want more sparkle than flash. Maybe this is why I have favored emerald cut - because it is more "mirror" like.

You could also make up the lack of "sparkle" by having a setting with pave

ohhh I could see the emerald cut being lovely with pave. That would be a gorgeous combo.

kallard

Rough_Rock
watermark.jpg

This is just an image I found and liked when I searched "emerald cut pave".

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I like that! Here's a similar one, but with an asscher. It's on the website LoveAffairDiamonds

It will take up a lot of your budget though. How much is the stone?

img_5692__44206.jpg

kallard

Rough_Rock
More photos....

sam_8230.jpg
sam_8232.jpg
sam_8233.jpg sam_8238.jpg sam_8237_0.jpg
sam_8237.jpg
sam_8236.jpg

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I honestly don't know how to give you an opinion, LOL. But damn if Blaze isn't one of the most helpful and responsive people out there...

:)

I think I like #2 and 3 (the 2nd two ovals) the best, but montanas are so tricky and weird that I think you'll really have to see them to figure out what you like best. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No emerald cut??

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Oh wow, he sent you all of those pictures and lined the stones up like that? How nice and helpful of him!! I think my favorite is the 2nd oval, but the 1st and 3rd also look nice.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
arabella|1441904490|3926135 said:
Oh wow, he sent you all of those pictures and lined the stones up like that? How nice and helpful of him!! I think my favorite is the 2nd oval, but the 1st and 3rd also look nice.

He sends those REALLY fast, too. Back when I was looking he sent me lineups like that within hours of the request. I didn't ultimately buy from him but if I wanted another Montana I'd email him first :)

kallard

Rough_Rock
The emerald cut is still in the running....he pulled out different ones this time, I liked the ones you said also, but was also liking the heart, even though it is lighter than I wanted.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kallard|1441906672|3926155 said:
The emerald cut is still in the running....he pulled out different ones this time, I liked the ones you said also, but was also liking the heart, even though it is lighter than I wanted.

How much is the heart and the EC?

kallard

Rough_Rock
Heart is $2,100
EC is $2,250

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to chalk it up to really bad photography...

arabella

Shiny_Rock
deskjockey|1441906463|3926154 said:
arabella|1441904490|3926135 said:

He sends those REALLY fast, too. Back when I was looking he sent me lineups like that within hours of the request. I didn't ultimately buy from him but if I wanted another Montana I'd email him first :)

That is awesome. I'm currently on the hunt for an e-ring stone and was considering Montanas... hmmmmmm :naughty:

kallard

Rough_Rock
I'd like to hear more about that...the photography angle I mean.

I think that part of it is that they aren't being held up and are sitting on something. If they were held up, I think I could tell more on the darker ones. The lighter ones are easier to see in that sense.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When the stone is held up in tweezers, you allow light to come in from the back, lightening the tone. When they are sitting on something, it replicates it already set in a setting, the same way a stone tends to look darker once set. However, based on the colour of the tray, the entire picture looks drab and dark, so I believe the photographs to not be accurate. Kenny can colour correct it and I'm not sure who else here can.

kallard

Rough_Rock
Yes, that makes sense.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kallard|1441907564|3926163 said:
Heart is $2,100
EC is $2,250

So that leaves less than 1k for the setting?

kallard

Rough_Rock
I can move up the budget some.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I like the color shifting that I'm seeing in the second oval. I see blue and teal in the different lights. But you see a lot of ovals.

I would ask for the mm's for the emerald cut (found it! 8 x 6) and the second oval. If you can squeeze them into a standard setting size, then IDJ can set it for you fairly cheaply.

I have gotten settings from IDJ using these casting companies (and with ID Jewelry, they can give you "PS quality" diamonds fairly inexpensively):

http://www.adwar.com
Here's for the 8 x 6 EC http://www.adwar.com/products/list?type=Ladies+Rings&shape=Emerald&size=8X6
This is cool http://www.adwar.com/products/styles/23654L/view but the diamond sides might get pricey

https://www.uniquesettings.com
For instance, the 6 x 8 EC would fit this setting and you could get claw prongs from IDJ
https://www.uniquesettings.com/products/show/24635?from_style=1 or
https://www.uniquesettings.com/products/show/2992?from_style=1

There. That should confuse you further. :bigsmile:

kallard

Rough_Rock
If the #2 one is the one I think it is, then it is $2,000 and 8.8....but the second measurement is missing. I am not sure that I have that right.

I sent an email telling him I was most interested in the EC, the asscher (though I think it is sold), the heart, and #2. I also asked if I could see the EC and asscher again the way he did these.

I do have a color terminology question though. Although I am willing to budge on this, it does make me wonder....the word "teal". I picture it as green leaning toward turquoise, while some think of it as a light green. The EC is described as teal, but the photos make it look more like a light green to me. The asscher is described as a cornflower blue, but it looks more turquoise in the one photo.

I do see the blue to lavender shift in the heart.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have explained about the photography in my earlier post. This is why sometimes it is best YOU send him a picture of the colour you want because teal in your head might not be the same teal in his head.

kallard

Rough_Rock
Yes, I saw that you had answered that afterward I posted. Sorry about that.

kallard

Rough_Rock
Just thought I would share this for fun...

Here is how I was trying to view the photos:

2015-09-10_12.jpg

This is in my classroom after kids have left.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If only our CS is that large in person. :bigsmile:

kallard

Rough_Rock
more photos....

blazecoll11.jpg
blazecoll10.jpg
blazecoll9.jpg
blazecoll8.jpg

I had asked him to take photos of the emerald cut, but think he missed that part....because I asked other questions in the same email. I still like the two on the right, but not where I am jumping off my chair. I sort of feel like I am waiting for that "say yes to the dress" response of, "yes, this is it!" and I am not getting it. They just look more pale, or even grey in indoor light than I want and I cannot tell if it is the photography, if this is what I should expect in general, etc. I know they aren't going to glow on their own, and my aquamarine also looks white/silver/grey in dim light. I know that I might be expecting too much. I have dreams of the blue green tourmaline color...when I look up "teal" gemstones in Google, that is what it shows me.

I will have to find a photo of one I am looking for and send it to him, and inquire again about the ec. He has sold the asscher one I liked before, but said he thought he had another one.

The one on the right has a nice color change, but it is 2.12 ct and might be 6mm? Not sure, he didn't give me the measurement. I think the heart is 8 or slightly larger.

S

SparkliesLuver

When you say "teal," this is what I picture in my head. You might also want to contact Michael with Litnon.com and see if they have anything (that's not online) that might work.

Montana sapphires will always have some gray and shift in various lighting conditions. That's why I posted the elongated piece of rough earlier in your thread - it didn't look to be as gray but it also might be more pure blue than you want. I'd definitely find some pictures and send them to Blaze and see what he comes back with.

If none of these are doing it for you, it's okay to pass. You'll know it when you see it. :D

_34259.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Montana sapphires might not be the right choice for you if you don't like such extreme colour change indoors.

kallard

Rough_Rock
Well, I knew with my budget I might have to give up something, so am willing to accept that. I think it is less the actual color change and more that the color is less intense.

I like the ring that was just posted though.

I also like this one:
_20510.jpg

Both are slightly more green than I had in mind, but still like them well enough.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results