shape
carat
color
clarity

MSNBC Takes Incendiary Hosts From Anchor Seat

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/08/business/media/08msnbc.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

MSNBC tried a bold experiment this year by putting two politically incendiary hosts, Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews, in the anchor chair to lead the cable news channel’s coverage of the election.

That experiment appears to be over.

After months of accusations of political bias and simmering animosity between MSNBC and its parent network NBC, the channel decided over the weekend that the NBC News correspondent and MSNBC host David Gregory would anchor news coverage of the coming debates and election night. Mr. Olbermann and Mr. Matthews will remain as analysts during the coverage.

The change — which comes in the home stretch of the long election cycle — is a direct result of tensions associated with the channel’s perceived shift to the political left.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting! Thank you for posting!
36.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Well, we need someone to balance out Fox News.

20.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Last I checked almost every other media source balanced out Fox News.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the links Color!
36.gif

At least we will always have Jon Stewart...and re-runs of the West Wing for worst case scenarios.

But I do like fox when on the elliptical at the gym, it gets my heart racing in another way.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2008 5:36:58 PM
Author: luckystar112

Well, if you took Fox''s far right approach and balanced it with most other network''s centrist approaches, the overall approach would still be right wing. I''m glad that there''s at least one media outlet that leans to the left to balance things out a bit more.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2008 8:01:22 PM
Author: ladypirate

Well, if you took Fox''s far right approach and balanced it with most other network''s centrist approaches, the overall approach would still be right wing. I''m glad that there''s at least one media outlet that leans to the left to balance things out a bit more.

Wow it''s funny how differently people see things sometimes. I mean..I see Fox as definitely leaning right..but definitely not far right. And I do see MSNBC as far left now..I used to see it as moderate. CNN is more moderate leaning left to me. I guess it all depends on where you stand?
33.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2008 8:09:06 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS

Well, if you took Fox's far right approach and balanced it with most other network's centrist approaches, the overall approach would still be right wing. I'm glad that there's at least one media outlet that leans to the left to balance things out a bit more.

Wow it's funny how differently people see things sometimes. I mean..I see Fox as definitely leaning right..but definitely not far right. And I do see MSNBC as far left now..I used to see it as moderate. CNN is more moderate leaning left to me. I guess it all depends on where you stand?
33.gif

I see Fox as pretty far right, I see MSNBC as left, but not as far to the left as Fox is to the right...the other networks are very centrist. I don't get all the talk about the "liberal media", unless they're talking about who most of the celebrities in Hollywood support.

ETA: Not everyone on Fox leans right, of course, just as not everyone on MSNBC leans left. Look at Joe Scarborough on MSNBC--he's obviously a republican. Or Chris Wallace on Fox. Actually, I don't see Chris Matthews as leaning left, despite him being mentioned in this thread--he's a big McCain fan. I suppose it's more that Keith Olberman and Rachel Maddow are on MSNBC whereas Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly are on Fox.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I guess I do look at it differently, because while I do agree that Fox leans to the right, I feel that way more news organizations lean to the left. A good example is the Republican convention coverage vs the democratic convention coverage. Most major newspapers as well. My Government professor explained that this is due to most cities being overwhelmingly liberal, and that is where the biggest newspapers and news organizations are located.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2008 8:24:58 PM
Date: 9/8/2008 8:09:06 PM

Author: SarahLovesJS

Wow it''s funny how differently people see things sometimes. I mean..I see Fox as definitely leaning right..but definitely not far right. And I do see MSNBC as far left now..I used to see it as moderate. CNN is more moderate leaning left to me. I guess it all depends on where you stand?
33.gif

I see Fox as pretty far right, I see MSNBC as left, but not as far to the left as Fox is to the right...the other networks are very centrist. I don''t get all the talk about the ''liberal media'', unless they''re talking about who most of the celebrities in Hollywood support.

ETA: Not everyone on Fox leans right, of course, just as not everyone on MSNBC leans left. Look at Joe Scarborough on MSNBC--he''s obviously a republican. Or Chris Wallace on Fox. Actually, I don''t see Chris Matthews as leaning left, despite him being mentioned in this thread--he''s a big McCain fan. I suppose it''s more that Keith Olberman and Rachel Maddow are on MSNBC whereas Sean Hannity and Bill O''Reilly are on Fox.

Well we look at things differently, but it''s still interesting to see where you''re coming from. Thanks for sharing your views, it''s always interesting to see the other side of things.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
When I read the news about this recent development I couldn''t help but think of the book "The End of America: Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot" by Naomi Wolf. It''s a "Citizen''s Call to Action"

She goes through the ten steps of a closing society where government is given unchecked power by comparing what is happening in America with past fascist and totalitarian governments. Whether one is Democrat or Republican, it should be shocking and motivating to find that we may already be closing in on stage 9. (don''t feel bad about it, the other societies that closed, never knew the process was slowly happening either....it''s more like cancer than a bullet to the heart).

Restricting the Press:

"In all dictatorships, targeting the free press begins with political pressure-loud, angry campaigns for the news to be represented in a way that supports the group that seeks dominance. Attacks escalate to smears, designed to shame members of the press personally; then editors face pressure to fire journalists who are not parroting the party line. A caste of journalists and editors who support the regine develops, whether out of conviction, a wish for advancement, or fear.

Such regimes promote false news in a systematic campaign of disinformation, even as they go after independent voices"

And that is just the first two paragraphs
32.gif
Seriously, Chris Matthews?

And Step 9 closely follows Step 7: Arbitrarily Detain and Release Citizens
and Step 8 : Target Key Individuals.

I haven''t read the whole book because it so closely mimics the tactics of Mussolini, Stalin and Hitler, but now I think I need to force myself to get past Step 3. Blech. Tis frightening.....

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Thank you colormyworld, for the truth. I am a huge fan of truth. I hate spin. It literally makes me spin. No matter the source, the side, even if my daughter does it, I go apecaca. It is what it is...people who have to spin automatically lose credibility with me. At least Rupert Murdoch didn''t deny his agenda. Although he never has denied it, and I respect him for his honesty, although I don''t agree with his position or his methods. Again, lies only become truth if one chooses to believe it. I think I am more offended that Murdoch and his media monopoly have so little regard for the intelligence of American citizens, that they feel we can be shaped as easily as PlayDoh. (That and the fact that he lures people to do his bidding by paying them a lot of money). And maybe he is right ::::shrugs::::: Maybe they can.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s not just the news media. As you may or may not know, scientists both inside and outside the government are concerned (maybe I should use outraged?) with the the disturbing trend of the Bush administration "politicizing" science. That is, censoring, distorting or otherwise messing with research results that do not agree with their political views. This ranges from censoring information in textbooks, to muzzling government scientists whose research does not support the party line, to removal of scientist policymakers from influential positions. Remind anyone of the whole attorney general flap?

http://www.csicop.org/doubtandabout/sciencewars/

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2008 9:06:33 PM
I guess I do look at it differently, because while I do agree that Fox leans to the right, I feel that way more news organizations lean to the left. A good example is the Republican convention coverage vs the democratic convention coverage. Most major newspapers as well. My Government professor explained that this is due to most cities being overwhelmingly liberal, and that is where the biggest newspapers and news organizations are located.
Are you kidding? In 2000, Fox was the first netowrk to call Fl in favor of Bush. Who made the call? John Ellis , Bush''s cousin.
Their news anchor was Tony Snow, a former speech writer for Geogre H, who only left fox to be Bush''s press secretary.
The chairman of fox news is Roger Ailes, who worked for pretty much every republican president since Nixon.
I could go on and on, its really that bad.

I agree CNN is left leaning, but I don''t think it goes quite as far as Fox. I think the other major networks are for the most part more centrist.

As for the coverage, there were a few reasons for that. There was no major storm threatening a city like for the Republicans, there was a lot less pagentry for the republicans, there were a lot more questions/controversy because of how tight the primaries were, etc.

I have to disagree with your government prof. Most of the best journalism schools in the country are in conservative areas with the best, University of Missouri, being fairly right leaning. My friend just graduated with honors from their journalism school and told me pretty much all her teachers were right leaning. If that is what the best school is teaching them, then I find it hard to believe all media leans left

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
So you''re saying that Fox is more conservative compared to my opinion that they lean to the right, okay.

I''m going to go ahead and agree with my prof though. Regardless of the school a journalist went to,
Large cities tend to be more liberal
All major newspapers tend to be based out of those large cities
The more education you have, the more liberal you are (Yes, I am admitting to knowing that for the sake of argument.
3.gif
).
Journalists don''t choose which stories they run

Perhaps I''m jumping to conclusions. Perhaps what is percieved as media bias to the left is really nothing more than the lack of a conservative voice out there for the 33% of people that identify themselves as so. Apparently only 13% of journalists, in a poll in 2004, identified themselves as conservative.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
We can discuss forever which networks are more liberal, and which are more conservative. Bottom line is, Chris Matthews and Keith Obamalover were an absolute joke at both conventions, the talk of the water cooler everywhere the next morning, and had ratings in the basement. Simply . . . they stunk. And now they''re bye-bye. Good riddance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results