shape
carat
color
clarity

Mounting loose opals in earrings? (Northeast Ohio)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

esqknight

Rough_Rock
I was contemplating order matching loose crystal opals from Australia for mounting into earrings.

Any idea how difficult it is to find a jeweler that can (a) work with opals (b) will make earrings for loose opals not bought from the jeweler?

Can anyone living in the greater Cleveland area recommend such a jeweler?

Thank you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am afraid I cannot answer your question as I am unfamiliar with the Cleveland area. What I can advice is that you’ll have to carefully search around town to make sure the jeweller/benchperson is very familiar and comfortable with handling gemstones other than sapphires. There are many jewellers who do not know how to handle softer stones. Many jewellers will accept gemstones purchased elsewhere for setting.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/16/2009 8:03:12 AM
Author: Chrono
I am afraid I cannot answer your question as I am unfamiliar with the Cleveland area. What I can advice is that you’ll have to carefully search around town to make sure the jeweller/benchperson is very familiar and comfortable with handling gemstones other than sapphires. There are many jewellers who do not know how to handle softer stones. Many jewellers will accept gemstones purchased elsewhere for setting.
Ditto what Chrono said. I know of no one in that area so I can''t help you there. If you are open to sending your stones off to someone and having them set them, there are a few people on etsy that do a fantastic job with custom settings and are comfortable and well versed on opals and setting them.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
I have had some good experiences working with a jewelry store in Hudson, Jewelry Art. They have a goldsmith on staff and do custom work and repairs. All of my work there so far has been of the repair variety and has been in only in gold, but good work and great pricing so far. It''s probably about 30-40 minutes from Cleveland, but it''s worth a call to ask if they have experience with a gemstone as soft as opal, as you need a benchperson that works specifically in colored stones. A guy who does diamonds all day won''t really have the experience necessary. If they can''t, they may have a recommendation for someone who can.

Some nice restaurants in Hudson and good shopping, you can make a day of it.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results