shape
carat
color
clarity

mounting for flat ring, princess cut??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bizgk

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a flat shank engagement ring (about 4-6mm wide) for a princess cut diamond. I am trying to figure out what my mounting options are.. does anyone have any ideas? I know my girlfriend would prefer an invisible type setting (she doesn''t like it when the diamond sticks out to the sky), but can''t find much in terms of mountings selection with flat shanks/rings.. or much with flat shanks, period for an engagement ring.

Can anyone help? Any suggestions on Web sites to look?

Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure I understand what "flat shank" means.... I imagine the stone set flush to the band, perhaps as in a tension setting (say, this one) ?

Do you know any example of the style ?

How about this... from Mark Morell

image004.jpg

I could easily imagine this one with a princess cut inasted:

image007.jpg

bizgk

Rough_Rock
The 2nd reply has it right.. when I say flat, i just mean that the band doesn''t rise in the center.. rather, it is the same height throughout the width.. for example, http://search.ebay.com/flat-ring_W0QQfromZR40QQfrtsZ250QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsojsZ1 on ebay always has a lot of them for sale.. but they are not engagement rings (i.e., no center diamond).

The only mounting I have seen is like the one shown in the 2nd reply.. my only concern with something like that is that it will take away from the brilliance of the diamond, because light cannot go through it (it is sealed off on the sides/bottom). So I was wondering what my other options were...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2005 7:13:39 AM
Author: bizgk

The only mounting I have seen is like the one shown in the 2nd reply.. my only concern with something like that is that it will take away from the brilliance of the diamond, because light cannot go through it (it is sealed off on the sides/bottom). So I was wondering what my other options were...
Yeah! That is the very ting allright.

I think the ring will need to made custom for the stone, so there are not many (if any) setting of the rack like that. But it is a relatively simple design - no reason any jeweler couldn''t make one.

The "tank" by Cartier comes close and everyone would know it, I think...

The setting should show off a well cut diamond quite well. Most brilliance comes from light that enters the diamond from the table anyway. The closed sides will only enhance contrast - which is a good thng, I think.

It looks like a great setting idea.
9.gif

bizgk

Rough_Rock
thanks for the tip about the tank ring by cartier.. maybe i will get some ideas by looking at it.

by the way, do you or anyone else know what it is called when the diamond is somewhat immersed in the setting, but not all the way? i believe all the way would be an invisible setting? (which is what i believe the "tank" ring is like). i might be interested in something where the diamond is not fully on top of the setting (as with normal prongs), but also not completely even on top ("flat top" ring).. something where it is maybe halfway immersed..

any ideas on where i can find some things to look at for examples? i would be mounting a 1.6 c princess cut..

thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2005 10:1:23 AM

by the way, do you or anyone else know what it is called when the diamond is somewhat immersed in the setting...
That would be "flush" or "gipsy" setting or "channel" sometimes. And then are the "tension" setting that leave the diamonds hangigng completely free (actually, that brings the most light into the stone).

I see more rings like that in Europe (I am Romanian) - they would be called "band rings" and used both as wedding and e-ring, especially if not too wide.

Cooldiamonds (at cooldiamons.co.uk) lists at least one ring like that - but the version online has a round stone.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are mostly rounds... but the settings could be made square.

DiamondInsers.JPG

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
www.dimendscaasi.com has some wide squared shanks.

0155D.jpg

bizgk

Rough_Rock
I like the 2nd one, because the ring setting stays the same all the way around (it does not slope up at the top).. Do you think the sides on that one would take away from the lighting and brilliance?

Also, have you seen any like this seond one (with either sides like shown, or 4 prongs) where the diamond part of the ring below the diamond culet is partially cut out so the diamond can be lowered a little?

Thanks!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Hi bizgk!

Just wanted to reply to your question about brilliance in an enclosed setting: If you look at the popular tutorial drawings about diamond cut, you can see that in well-cut stones, which have the most brilliance and sparkle anyways, all of the light that comes out of the stone to the eye (sparkle) goes into the stone through the top (the table). Picture from Blue Nile:
item_edu_cutill.gif

This is how bezel set and flush set stones can still sparkle and show brilliance, even though the sides are completely enclosed.

If you make sure you buy a well-cut princess, you shouldn''t have to worry about the flush setting detracting from the brilliance of the stone.
1.gif

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
You could also try www.michaelbondanza.com. Sorry I couldn''t manage to post a pic, they seem to be only bitmap images there.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2005 11:40:35 AM
I like the 2nd one, because the ring setting stays the same all the way around (it does not slope up at the top)...
This one would get quite substantial with a larger stone... with the band of the ring as wide as the princess diamond (about 7mm, no ?) a wedding band added next to the engagement ring will make a havy piece. Which is not a totally bad idea, just something to consider.

The respective settng is also made by DCD, by the way. It is not unique to dimenscassi (I don't think the sell settings without their diamonds). Stuart Moore makes a more sophisticated version.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results