shape
carat
color
clarity

Most Incredible Diamond Purchase Experience

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lachance22

Rough_Rock

February 7, 2005

Dear Price Scope Members:

This post is in regard to the outstanding level of quality, customer-service, honesty, and overall excellence from both Lesley Harris and Brian Gavin of Whiteflash. If you are in the process of making a diamond purchase than my experience may steer you in the right direction.

My journey started out in the Boston Diamond District back in July, 2004. One day I visited four “reputable” stores that are said to be some of the best in town. I thought I had educated myself enough about the 4 C’s that I was ready to make a purchase. By the end of the day, I found myself discouraged because I had found no one I wanted to do business with. At each store visited a salesperson showed me 2-3 diamonds and then attempted to “close-the-deal” in a matter of minutes. By the end of the day I felt overwhelmed and no longer had confidence with my search.

From store-to-store and salesperson-to-salesperson there was nothing consistent with what they were saying. After visiting well over twenty stores, I decided to begin looking on the Internet for information on what diamonds should cost based on the spec’s I was looking for. Fortunately, I found myself here on Pricescope where I learned about companies such as Whiteflash. As I began to read posts and the informational tools provided on this site, I immediately realized I was not in any position to buy a diamond - most of language was completely Greek to me. So, I educated myself and slowly came to the conclusion that the only acceptable diamond purchase for me was going to be an AGS 000 H&A.

I spent hours on the phone with both Lesley and Brian at Whiteflash. It was refreshing for me to have two well-educated diamond professionals now assisting me with my search. They were giving me a lot more relevant information and putting forth more effort than any face-to-face salesperson was willing to provide. I feel like they got to know me more on a personal level and seemed more interested in helping fill my need rather than simply selling me the first diamond they put their hands on.

I used the inventory listings for “A Cut Above” H&A here on Pricescope and would then call Brian and ask him to pull the diamond(s) to discuss each stone. I narrowed my search to an AGS 000 “A Cut Above” H&A, I, VS2, 1.506 crt. The diamond scored a .90 on the Cut Advisor and was discounted a price for $10,174.00 here on Pricescope. I made the purchase around 2 PM on a Thursday by faxing a “Permission to Charge Credit Card” form.

That night around 6:30 PM, I received a phone call from Brian with some bad news. He began to explain to me that this diamond was not going to make me happy. That in his heart he couldn’t sell me this stone because it was “Grainy.” I hadn’t yet heard this term. Brian explained, “It’s grainy like wood is sometimes grainy. It’s something you would probably never be able to see, but I know in my heart this diamond is not what you are paying for and cannot be sold as a ‘A Cut Above.’” He sent the stone back to the lab to have the inscription “A Cut Above” removed from the girdle. Brian reimbursed my money and we were back to square one.

Who does that? Would any over-the-counter salesperson even be able to tell if a diamond was grainy and would they prevent me from making a purchase even if they could? My gut instinct is absolutely not!

I ended up purchasing a gorgeous AGS 000 H&A, J, VS1, 1.584 crt and then hired Whiteflash to custom build the setting. My ring appraised for almost $6,000 more than what I paid for it. Megan, my now fiancé, absolutely loves her diamond. She can’t get over how well it reflects light and says it’s the most beautiful diamond/ring she’s ever seen. I completely surprised her with my proposal and she said the ring couldn’t be more perfect . . . that if she saw 100 diamond rings she would pick out this one.

I was a bit wary about the J color, even though Lesley assured me to buy with confidence. My wariness was no longer a factor when the Independent Appraiser (one of the best in Boston) pulled it from its package and said, “Wow, that’s a DE or F color.” He was stunned when he hooked up to his machine and read the actual color grade. He explained that it appears so white because of how well the diamond is cut. He also said I couldn’t find a diamond cut this well at Tiffany’s and if I did they would be asking about twice the cost.

I feel extremely lucky to have purchased a diamond from such professionals. Their integrity is unshakeable and it shows in their work. The first few people I told about purchasing a diamond asked where I bought it. When I told them from Whiteflash in Houston, TX they were perplexed and asked, “You bought a diamond over the Internet? You’re crazy!” I understood their gut reaction as my opinion was once like theirs – and still is for people making purchases from vendors selling on bid-sites such as Ebay – ie. Shanoa & Company.

Ultimately, I did not purchase my diamond over the Internet. I used it as a resource to educate myself and research available inventories. I purchased my diamond from Brian Gavin and Lesley Harris of Whiteflash who gave me the ample time I required. I am extremely happy I did.

I highly recommend you to consider Whiteflash when making your diamond purchase.

Sincerely,

David D.

David - Ring - 1.jpg

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Wow, David, that is one stunning ring!

And way to go Brian for being honest about the original stone!

taualum23

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the great report. Feedback like that is what keeps whiteflash on the very short list of vendors that I plan to work with.
Oh, and gorgeous ring. Great job.

amytude

Shiny_Rock
LOVE that ring...thanks for sharing your experience!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brian rocks! (pun intended)
We disagree at times but you cant knock the ACA line if it gets the brand it has his heart and soul in it.
That is what sets the best in the business apart from the me too''s they put their everything into it.
The awesome thng about pricescope is that there are so many of them here.
Brian
Robin
Todd
Jon
Wink
and many more.

Then you have the students of diamonds. Where they study and the diamonds are the teachers.
Garry
John
Serg

and many more people are in this group :}

Then you have the masters of customer service which there are far to many to list but Lesley is on it for sure.

Then you have Richard Sheerwood in a class by himself! :}

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
HOW GORGEOUS!!!! Congratulations on a beautiful ring and your engagement!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
That is so beautiful.
Do you have a side shot or hand shot for us. I love it.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous ring!

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that is a gorgeous ring and I CANNOT believe it is a J! Absolutely amazing.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love happy endings!! And the ring too......

cheers--Sharon

zoobiedo

Shiny_Rock
Wow!! That is one incredible looking ring. Since I also purchased from Whiteflash and a J colored fancy cut at that, I can attest to how fabulous they are to work with. Brian is great as is Lesley and Denise - who was my salesperson. They ended up suggesting I purchase the LEAST expensive stone I was considering as they said it was the BEST! Who else would do that?
emthup.gif
36.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what an awesome story........thanks for taking the time to share it with us!!

TLS

Shiny_Rock
congratulations Lachance - the ring is gorgeous! I can''t believe how unbelievably white it is!!!

I am glad to hear you had such a great customer service experience. Can I ask who your appraiser is ? Sounds like you really liked who you worked with on the appraisal and I am in the boston area and need some referrals.

thanks

lachance22

Rough_Rock
Here are the original pictures taken at Whiteflash prior to shipping the ring. I asked Lesley if she could snap a photo against a black-background (photo above) b/c I thought the Platinum Setting appeard a bit dull in two of the photos. However, I asure you the ring looks 10-times better in person. The brilliance and high polish could not be better. Megan and I tried snapping several photos with my digital camera and the photos came out blurred. Any ideas?

Thanks for all your kinds words and I hope my positive experience is a contagious one!

Sincerely,

David D.

David - Ring - 2.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is stunning. wow. nice!!

lachance22

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/7/2005 7
6.gif
3:54 PM
Author: TL1
congratulations Lachance - the ring is gorgeous! I can''t believe how unbelievably white it is!!!

I am glad to hear you had such a great customer service experience. Can I ask who your appraiser is ? Sounds like you really liked who you worked with on the appraisal and I am in the boston area and need some referrals.

thanks
Absolutely! Martin Haske in Brookline did my appraisal. He''s listed on this site under Resources and then Appraisers. He comes highly recommended.

Good Luck.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
ok thanks Lachance. We sent him several emails and left a voicemail and never heard back. I thought you might have the name of someone else.

thanks

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
congrats,beautiful ring
30.gif
10.gif
that''s a super nice J color.
36.gif
36.gif

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Wow- the difference betweent eh white background pics and the black one is amazing..I am sure the lighting was better too. The only photos I have right now of my ring are the white background ones from WF. My boyfriend has the ring in his possession and it is not available for more pics. So, I wait. But, I would be so happy if I had a pic taken on the black background like yours.....

lachance22

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/7/2005 7:49:43 PM
Author: TL1
ok thanks Lachance. We sent him several emails and left a voicemail and never heard back. I thought you might have the name of someone else.

thanks
Sorry to hear that. I''m not sure when you tried reaching him, but I do know he was away for 2-weeks just prior to Christmas. There is another contact listed on this site who I was going to have appraise the first diamond. However, he will not accept packages so you are forced to pay for the diamond prior to seeing it. That was why I initally paid for the first stone prior to shipping - it was during the 2-week period Martin was away.

Best Wishes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results