shape
carat
color
clarity

Most imortant aspects of a cushuon cut stone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TimothyLYork

Rough_Rock
Hello, I''m looking for some help. I am looking to purchase a 1.2-1.5 carat cushion cut stone. Other than size, what are the most important aspects that I should have in a cushion cut i.e.(cut, clarity, color, table/depth ratio, flourecence, etc). I guess I am asking, in this type of stone, what should I not sacrafice on! Thanks....
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
The most important thing is how it looks to your eyes! Shopping for a cushion is like shopping for any other stone! First, you want a great cut! Second, determine what your lowest color tolerance is! Then take it frm there...

TimothyLYork

Rough_Rock
I have heard a lot of girdle, depth and table...Can anyone help?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Oh boy! You need help LOL
9.gif
Buckle that seatbelt...I''m sure others will help...it''s after my bedtime :)

sasa

Brilliant_Rock
we''re looking to buy a cushion cut too, but I think the tutorial here is mostly about round diamond...I need some help too...

MaybeDayze

Shiny_Rock
READ THIS THREAD - SOME GOOD TIPS!

This thread has some good pertinent information.
Read it; ask some questions; people will try to help you.

There are lots of additional threads on cushion cuts. I suggest you do a search.

As always, hope this helps,
MarLO

g-man

Rough_Rock
Be sure to get a modern cut cushion, typically called cushion brilliant on the cert - mostly meaning no culet as opposed to the old "open" culet. There are several facet patterns but I don''t think that is a big deal. Try to get VG on symmetry if you can - although this is tough on this cut as it is difficult to achieve. I wouldn''t go below G in color. Most girdles tend to be medium to slightly thick. Depth 63-68 and table in mid-high 50s is a safe bet. These are such beautiful stones and have a certain charm you will be happy. See if you can get your selection shipped somewhere so you can view them. Jim at DCD arranged for me to see our stone on 47th st in NYC before buying as I work four blocks from there. If anything try to get a couple of pics of a few stones you have in mind. Good luck! I am sure you will be happy with a cushion!
Gary

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I believe that (as the ps vendors throw the term around and as is described on niceice and dbof) the "modern cushion" is a particular type of cushion cut today with the facet pattern shown below having amazing symmetry. The term is used NOT to describe all cushions cut today. Many cushions cut today are not "modern cushions" A modern cushion costs a ton more than a lot of other cushions out there also.

They have a very different look too. So maybe someone doesn't want a modern cushion look- doesn't mean their cushion won't be beautiful!

And actually, it's my understanding that the facet pattern on the cert is what tells you that it's a modern cushion (which I do know is a stock image)
Also, you will see that old fashioned cusions (including ones cut today) are also known as "cushion brilliant" so having a cert say "cushion brilliant" does not mean it's a modern stone.

Cushions come in all shapes and looks. Modern ones are my fav but I've certainly seen TONS of beautiful ones on ps that aren't "modern".... It's all about what look you like!

modrn.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
This also a "cushion brilliant".... 60s depth, 50s table. SO not a modern cushion. Just wanted to point that out.

Again, not b/c one is "better" than the other (well, I do have a certain opinion on that but I''ve seen so many pretty non-moderns out there)

notmod.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Also not "modern" "cushion brilliant"... not the 60s depth and 50s table. But this one is getting closer perhaps.

All of these are perhaps nice cuts though!

almost.jpg

g-man

Rough_Rock
I think the post above is still considered a modern cut. That is what my wholesaler said as to this pattern and that''s how envelopes were marked that had these and other patterns - marked m-cut from the cutter. I think non-modern cushion cuts were the "old mine cut" and had an open culet. You could practically see right through the stone. Essentially, I think all of the patterns posted here so far are considered modern. Either way, they are beautiful patterns.\
G

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
G- to say a cushion is a modern cut may mean to some that it's not antique. And I understand the last pattern shows a 'more' modern cut than antique

But the actual "modern cushion" as ref'd to by me is the "modern cushion" in the first plot with the vg/ex combo and perfect proportions. Its facet pattern is long and skinny. It's a different look.

Diamond brokers of fl confirms this on their site and you'll see that on nice ice and GOG!

For example, Notice how on GOG, they include that last facet pattern in their tutorial, and they specifically say that the modern cushion is excluded from the tutorial but they have a link to some moderns.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results