shape
carat
color
clarity

Mosquitoes in my bedroom!?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am at wit''s end here! For some reason this summer we have a ton of mosquitoes in our bedroom and they are driving me and the HH CRAZY. The HH goes on a "search and destroy" mission before we go to bed but nevertheless... every night... bzzzzzz bzzzzzz bzzzzzzz...

29.gif

The obvious answer is to find out where they''re coming in, but we''ve had no luck with that. And if they are actually *living* in my house and breeding somewhere I can''t figure that out either.

I''ve read that they can''t land to bite you if there is a breeze so we''ve been sleeping with an oscillating fan at the foot of the bed (poor Oscar about had a doggy heart attack when he tripped over the cord in the middle of the night and toppled the thing off the step stool... ) but that must be an old wives'' tale because it''s not doing us any good at all.

There are always citronella candles, but I am nervous about sleeping with those burning. (Um, now that you mention it, yes Mr. Insurance Adjuster, we DID happen to leave candles burning around our bedroom with two dogs that wander around in the night... when do you think our claim will be processed and how long do you think it will take to rebuild the house?

20.gif
)

HELP!!! How can I get rid of these things?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! They breed in standing water. Do you have any water in vases or bowls in your house or near your doorways that sits around? What about hanging plants near your doorways? It's a good idea to spray your doors right before you come into the house - I always do that. If they're not coming in through any holes in screens, have you checked the caulking around your windows and doors? What about the siding on your house - is any of it loose or has any of it fallen off? Any roof shingles missing? What about your attic vent? Is there a screen there to keep them out? If you have pets who go in and out a lot, could they be coming in on your pets? Are your doors left open long enough for them to keep flying in? I'm not sure about them not being able to land on you in a strong breeze - I've had plenty of 'em land on me in strong breezes.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a nightmare for you! I used to get loads of them in my house when I lived in Germany. I remember one night I was in bed, it was pitch black and all I could hear was that high pitched ''zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz''.... I sat up (still in the dark) and listened to the little blighter getting closer.... I splatted it good and proper just by listening to where it was. Reminded me of the bit with the fly and the chop sticks on The Karate Kid!!
9.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh how I hate those tings. We get those too Dee. They love to come into our house. Usually from the grandboys leaving the front door open, or the family room door open.

We have a ceiling fan in our bedroom and it doesn''t keep them from biting us either.

They usually go away in October when it cools down, but that doesn''t help any now. I also spray around areas.

We don''t have any standing water. We have a swimming pool, but the water is always circulating.

Wish I could be of more help. Sometimes I sleep with the sheet over my ears, do keep the buzzing from driving me nutso
23.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madam B., the only standing water in my house is the vase of flowers that the HH bought me for my birthday on Friday. Our mosquitoe problem existed long before the flowers did, but I'm getting rid of them anyway just in case they are breeding in there now.
23.gif

Maisie, LOL on the Karate Kid reference! I actually brought that up to the HH the other night when he was walking around our bedroom swatting at the air.
3.gif

Linda, I sleep ever night now with the sheet over my head. I feel like a kid making a tent with furniture and blankets.
20.gif

So, interms of "remedies" I've read a variety of things but I think I'm going to try rubbing my skin with a dryer sheet before I got to bed. The jury is still out on whether I'm going to do my face though... And I'm going to get some lemon joy dish soap and leave a few shallow dishes of water with the joy around the house. I don't know why it has to be that specific brand but I keep reading it over and over so I'm gonna try it.

OH, and I took a nap up on the couch a while ago and I woke up with a fresh itchy bite on my wrist. DAMN IT!!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee, another idea. Call the Mosquito Abatement in your area and tell them about your problem.

You may have a neighbor, who has standing water around your area.

Linda

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/8/2008 9:13:23 PM
Author: Linda W
Dee, another idea. Call the Mosquito Abatement in your area and tell them about your problem.

You may have a neighbor, who has standing water around your area.

Linda
Thanks for the idea. We actually live in a townhouse complex on the river (which has lots of other problems, but it''s not standing water, ha ha!) and I can''t think of any part of it where there is standing water (and I spend a lot of time walking around with the fur monsters), but maybe I''m not thinking far enough geographically. How far away do you think standing water could be and still be causing me a problem?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee,

It doesn''t matter. They will come out and check everything around your whole area.

I had to do that once. It turned out three houses down from us, a neighbor had emptied their pool half way. They left the standing water, breeding mosquitoes. They were in trouble with the mosquito abatement.

Give them a call and ask them to come out.

Linda

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Basil is what my family swears by. I haven''t had mosquitoes in the house, but we keep them out of our patio areas just by planting basil on the perimeters. I would try picking up some fresh basil at the store, maybe even in the lawn and garden dept that would actually be planted. Set it around your bedroom and see what happens.

for reference- we plant 6-8 plants around a patio that''s approx 12x14. Indoors, you could get away with much less.

I remember my mom used to put out cut lemons but I don''t remember if it actually worked.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/8/2008 10:14:03 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Basil is what my family swears by. I haven''t had mosquitoes in the house, but we keep them out of our patio areas just by planting basil on the perimeters. I would try picking up some fresh basil at the store, maybe even in the lawn and garden dept that would actually be planted. Set it around your bedroom and see what happens.

for reference- we plant 6-8 plants around a patio that''s approx 12x14. Indoors, you could get away with much less.

I remember my mom used to put out cut lemons but I don''t remember if it actually worked.
The HH has a whole damn FOREST of basil growing on the balcony off the kitchen. It seems to thrive out there. On my way to get the scissors--snip snip!!!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
The basil will only keep the skeeters away while it has a strong fragrance, so if it works, transplant some of it into the budoir!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results