shape
carat
color
clarity

Morganite tests for validation;question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bonniej

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,
I bought this “Morganite” ring about a year or so ago and the jeweler told me it was a morganite, stating that it was rare and a real buy and that it was worth so much more. I paid $2100 thinking I was buying an investment piece. Because I have not worn it and wanted to sell it on Ebay, I had the stone tested by a gemologist a couple of weeks ago (tested it - refractive, I think) and she said it was a Kunzite and approx 5 carats. I took it back to my jeweler and they told me again it was a Morganite and gave me an appraisal for $2800 - 13.5 x 13.5 x 9.5 mm with vs2 / h diamonds. I am beside myself and am taking it to have it formally appraised on Friday. The jeweler I bought it from always "exaggerates" things to get you to buy them. This was from an estate (he said) and he said I was getting a fabulous deal. I think it is about 5 carats and I have attached a copy of the ring and but could not upload a copy of the appraisal. Don''t know what to think. Any advice? I have a bad feeling about this. Thanks so much!
14.gif

morganitebw35a.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s an easy fix:
Have your jeweller unmount the stone and send it to AGL or GIA for lab certification. If it is indeed a morganite, then all is well. If it comes back as Kunzite, then you’ll have a pretty good case there. The lab certification will also come in handy should you want/need to resell the stone. It will not come back with a valuation but at least you’ll know for sure what it is.

ETA
I know it’s the same reply but since the original thread isn’t linked here, I’m moving my original reply here.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DO NOT UNSET IT>

The refractive index of Morganite is about 1.57 and the refractive index of Kunzite is about 1.66. It is an EASY test that any trained gemologist can do for you on a mounted stone of this size. A no-brainer identification issue. You do not need a high end lab for such simple gemology work.
Such testing would be about a 2 minute operation for me................and many, many others who do what I do. Some might charge a consumer for this service especially if it becomes a complex conversation, but the test itself is easy and relatively fast. WHo knows, you may get someone local to test it gratis.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your advice, Dave. My concern is that the jeweller will not believe the appraiser, which is why I thought that a lab cert will serve the dual purpose of ID-ing the stone plus something that he can use as proof for resale. What recourse does the OP have since this was purchased a year ago?

bonniej

Rough_Rock
THANKS SO MUCH!! UNFORTUNATELY, I HAVE A BAD FEELING ABOUT THIS PIECE AND A FEW OTHERS. I AM STUPID, I THINK, AND I HAVE LEARNED A LESSON HERE (EXPENSIVE ONE THOUGH). THANKS ALL.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the upper range of quality for both Kunzite and Morganite, as this stone appears in your photos to be, it looks as if you were not ripped off regardless of the ID at the price paid. Until the top level of quality is reached, both stones have similar, not identical, per carat wholesale costs. Only at the very, very top end does Morganite out price Kunzite. However, and this is important. Kunzite often fades to a lighter color if left exposed to sunlight. So, if it is Kunzite, you need to keep it in a dark box in the daytime except for special occasions. It is an evening stone for frequent wear if you don''t want the risk of fading to lighter pink over time. Morganite is stable in color.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ditto everything that David has said with one exception ............ I do think that you''ve paid a very high price (sorry). I have a top quality Kunzite of 22ct and I paid $650. There are pictures somewhere on this forum if you search on my name you''ll probably find it somewhere if you want to compare.

Two thoughts spring to mind:-

1. If you get a jeweller to test the RI as David has suggested and it comes back as Morganite then you have a case for a total refund as clearly this has been mis-sold to you. However, you would need the jeweller who is testing the stone to put his/her findings in writing. If you have bought this piece to sell then it''s unlikely you''ll recoup your money so if you can get all your money back that''s probably a better option.

2. This is probably too late to say but please please please please don''t buy jewellery or gemstones for investment purposes. There aren''t many gemstones that you can sell for a profit.

Good luck and let us know how you get on won''t you?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2009 2:11:40 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I would ditto everything that David has said with one exception ............ I do think that you''ve paid a very high price (sorry). I have a top quality Kunzite of 22ct and I paid $650. There are pictures somewhere on this forum if you search on my name you''ll probably find it somewhere if you want to compare.

1. If you get a jeweller to test the RI as David has suggested and it comes back as Morganite then you have a case for a total refund as clearly this has been mis-sold to you. However, you would need the jeweller who is testing the stone to put his/her findings in writing. If you have bought this piece to sell then it''s unlikely you''ll recoup your money so if you can get all your money back that''s probably a better option.

2. This is probably too late to say but please please please please don''t buy jewellery or gemstones for investment purposes. There aren''t many gemstones that you can sell for a profit.

LD,
I think the OP is hoping that it IS a morganite because she bought it as such. She is concerned that the GG who tested it thought it is a kunzite.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2009 2:21:20 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 12/3/2009 2:11:40 PM

LD,
I think the OP is hoping that it IS a morganite because she bought it as such. She is concerned that the GG who tested it thought it is a kunzite.
Sorry - dyslexia of the fingers - you''re quite right, I meant to say, "if it comes back as Kunzite" ......... !

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2009 2:34:32 PM
Sorry - dyslexia of the fingers - you''re quite right, I meant to say, ''if it comes back as Kunzite'' ......... !
I figured it was a brain/finger fart; it happens to me more commonly than I care to admit to.
9.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2009 2:37:13 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 12/3/2009 2:34:32 PM
Sorry - dyslexia of the fingers - you''re quite right, I meant to say, ''if it comes back as Kunzite'' ......... !
I figured it was a brain/finger fart; it happens to me more commonly than I care to admit to.
9.gif
We are obviously finger fart friends then as I seem to be doing this more and more!!!
9.gif
2.gif
9.gif

bonniej

Rough_Rock
Thanks again - this is great information.

bonniej

Rough_Rock
Hi - thanks for the input. I really don''t buy anything except diamonds for investment purposes. However, when you have a jeweler who intentionally misleads you, it does make me mad. He told me it was worth three times what I was paying, that it was so rare, etc, I can go on and on. I got caught up in the moment, I guess. I also thought these people were my friends and, you know how that is. Will never purchase anything from them again and have found a good gemologist up the road. She told me about some of the pieces I had purchased from him and it was all bad. These people give the honest people such a bad name and like I said earlier, I am such an idiot.

You would think that the appraisal they put together for me a few days ago for the Morganite ring would be enough evidence that they knew what they were doing, thinking that would put an end to it. The gemologist I found tested the stone a few weeks ago and told me "the bad news". Oh well, what can one do. I wish there was a board that could take their license away if they do this intentionally. I would hope they don''t do this to others but unfortunately, I am sure they do it to all their customers.

I am meeting with the gemologist again tomorrow and she will do the test she did previously (which David mentioned above) and document it for me. I will keep all of you posted. This "Morganite" is only the tip of the iceburg as I have purchased several items over $10,000 from them. Sorry to worry out loud but I really appreciate all of the experience you all have provided to me.

Thanks again!

bonniej

Rough_Rock
No problem - I understood what you meant. thanks again.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Oh bonniej, I''m so sorry to hear that you might have been cheated.

There''s a jeweler here in Philly who has gotten on my personal list of annoyance and unhappiness because he has twice tried to cheat me. I keep wondering if maybe I wouldn''t be doing the world a service if I identified the guy by name -- just as you''d probably do some good by identifying specifically who you''ve had problems with and why -- but for no real reason I''ve held back. I don''t know why. It''s good when people identify shady eBay dealers, so why should this be different?

In any case, I hope your meeting tomorrow gives you some peace of mind, at least.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry and hope that everything will work out in your favour. The other thing that stood out was your mention of only buying diamonds for investment purposes. I think this is an even worse idea. When a person tries to sell their diamond, they discover that they are only able to recoup 50% of what was paid, and this is a best case scenario. You will find more topics on this if you do a search in Rocky Talky.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results