shape
carat
color
clarity

More spinel questions, a pic, and stuff like that there

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gem geeks!

There is a spinel on AJS that I'd like some opinions on. Bearing in mind that I want a spinel that is as close to stoplight red as possible but affordable and perfectly round, and that this would be for a bezel setting, how do you guys think this one below would look?

http://www.ajsgems.com/gemstones/spinel/spinel-1.45-carats.html

Do you think it will look pinkish from a distance, in other words based on your experience can you describe what color it will look like from arm's length set in a platinum bezel?

Here was the gem's description from rung:
"The 1.45ct round spinel you are looking at is a beautiful gem. It it a beautiful electric neon pinkish-red color with a slight of orange red flashes over tone. Nice saturation, excellent cut and luster."

He said after new year they will get a new shipment from Mahenge, so I am contemplating waiting to see what they turn out.

Also, Thanks for answering my question about recutting spinel the other day. You guys rock (no pun intended).

mufiin top

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a window in that stone if you don't mind it. I think it's rather high priced for the size, but maybe it's because the saturation is deep (per the seller). Did you also look at Multicolour.com? That's another Thai based company, like AJS, and they may have some reddish round shaped spinels. They also provide the GIA gemset color, so you can see if it's more orange red, more purple red, etc. . .

Some rubellites also are a very strong pinkish red, but you have to be careful of treatments, and color shifting, if that bothers you. But it might be another option if you're having difficulty finding a spinel. I have a 1.1 carat round rubellite that you can see across a room. It's very vivid pinkish red.

Red is the rarest color in nature, and the most expensive in colored gems, so "affordable and close to stoplight red," well, it won't be easy to find something that fits those two criteria, unless it's synthetic or treated. That stone you picked out does not look close to "stoplight red" or "lipstick neon red" as I like to call it. Only a Burma ruby in that size will be close to the ideal color you want in that size, and it will be $$$.

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I actually prefer something that isn''t pink, and is for daily wear in a ring, so this is why I''d not consider tourmaline.

I didn''t see the window, but I have an untrained eye...still I am willing to pay more for a good gem....just can''t seem to find one.

Thanks for the input.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don''t want pinkish red, then there''s orange-red, and they tend to get a little brown, unless it''s very expensive material. There''s also pure red, but unless you''re buying top end stones, they can also be a little brown. I have never seen a pure red spinel, orange-red (flame spinels) and pinkish reds (typical of Tanzanian Mahenge material), but if you want true true red, I can only think of ruby as fitting the bill. Someone correct me if I''m wrong. It also depends on how sensitive your eye is. Some people cannot see the orange in an orange-red color, and some can spot it immediately.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/30/2009 1:01:53 PM
Author:mufiin_top
Hi Gem geeks!

There is a spinel on AJS that I''d like some opinions on. Bearing in mind that I want a spinel that is as close to stoplight red as possible but affordable and perfectly round, and that this would be for a bezel setting, how do you guys think this one below would look?

http://www.ajsgems.com/gemstones/spinel/spinel-1.45-carats.html

Do you think it will look pinkish from a distance, in other words based on your experience can you describe what color it will look like from arm''s length set in a platinum bezel?

Here was the gem''s description from rung:
''The 1.45ct round spinel you are looking at is a beautiful gem. It it a beautiful electric neon pinkish-red color with a slight of orange red flashes over tone. Nice saturation, excellent cut and luster.''

He said after new year they will get a new shipment from Mahenge, so I am contemplating waiting to see what they turn out.

Also, Thanks for answering my question about recutting spinel the other day. You guys rock (no pun intended).

mufiin top
Everyone can click on the stone in question now.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems like the vendor's desciption is spot on; good saturation with a primary red, pinks secondary and hints of orange. I agree with TL that there is a small window present but if you plan to bezel it, the appearance of the window will be minimized (less obvious). Mahenge spinels are typically pink/red or red/pink unless you start to get into the over 5 ct size, where it'll be a purer red.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results