shape
carat
color
clarity

More Positive Thoughts Please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Maybe some of you remember my story about my fiance''s grandmother being in the hospital... well, she ended up having to have emergency surgery. Things are still pretty iffy right now, waiting to see if she develops any infections.. then they want to implant a pacemaker (more risk of infections). Her son and daughter are very upset that the attending neurologist won''t even consult with her regular neurologist about her previous treatments (neuro-muscular problems), so he''s blindly treating her without knowing what''s worked in the past... *sigh*

We''ll probably drive down to see her this weekend. She''s still in the ICU, so no phones. She''s pretty isolated and lonely right now.

If you think of it, can you spare some positive thoughts for her?

appletini

Ideal_Rock
She''s in my prayers. I hope everything works out.

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
Positive vibes, heading her way. *Hugs to you*

Why the heck won''t the new neurologist consult? That''s ridiculous!

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
oh I''m so sorry to hear that she is still in ICU!! On a good note..ICU can be an incredibly caring place. The care and attention that the patients get there is far superior to being in a regular hospital room.

did the doctor give a reason to why he won''t consult with her regular physician?

Sending lots of healing vibes......

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
i will keep you in my thoughts rfath!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2005 9:22:33 AM
Author:rfath
Her son and daughter are very upset that the attending neurologist won''t even consult with her regular neurologist about her previous treatments (neuro-muscular problems), so he''s blindly treating her without knowing what''s worked in the past... *sigh*
hmm, there''s definitely something here that''s not right. past medical history is ALWAYS important. perhaps the neurologist at the hopsital DOES know about any past problems and treatments, but isn''t calling the other physician? what is it exactly that the children want the attending to do??? he or she is unlikely to call the other neuro and say hey what do you think? part of the problem is, most doctors think that they do it the right way so what does it matter what someone else does? and if this doctor is pretty set in doing it his way, you''re not likely to change that short of asking for a different doctor (is that an option??)

i know illness can be really scary! i hope everything works out rfath...

rfath

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the thoughts...

I'm not sure of the details with the situation with the attending neurologist. I know that he refused to call the treating neurologist when the children requested it - their mother has had some really bad reactions to some of the more traditional therapies and they wanted to make sure that she wasn't introduced to those drugs again. I think the greatest frustration was that he wasn't willing to take the time to explain what was going on and why he was calling for certain treatments - too busy! I think part of the issue was that over the holiday weekend most of his supervisors were out of town. Hopefully some progress will be made this week.

What made me truly sad (besides her comment that she just wants to hold on long enough to see my fiance and I married) is that she insists that I have her wedding band now, before it's too late. I don't want her giving up on us!
7.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
ohh..
8.gif
that sooo sad.. about her giving you the wedding band.
8.gif

I really am feeling for you.. I hope everything works out!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, rfath... what a scary situation to be in.

You both are in my thoughts.
comfort.gif

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
My thoughts are with you, and all my positive vibes are going out to your grandma.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so sorry to hear that! Positive vibes to the whole family and healing vibes to his grandmother!

heartsonfire

Shiny_Rock
I will continue praying for his grandma, both of you and the entire family.
I''m so sorry you are going through a rough time (((good vibes and lots of healing thoughts)))

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/19/2005 10:43:40 AM
Author: rfath
thanks for the thoughts...

I''m not sure of the details with the situation with the attending neurologist. I know that he refused to call the treating neurologist when the children requested it - their mother has had some really bad reactions to some of the more traditional therapies and they wanted to make sure that she wasn''t introduced to those drugs again. I think the greatest frustration was that he wasn''t willing to take the time to explain what was going on and why he was calling for certain treatments - too busy! I think part of the issue was that over the holiday weekend most of his supervisors were out of town. Hopefully some progress will be made this week.

What made me truly sad (besides her comment that she just wants to hold on long enough to see my fiance and I married) is that she insists that I have her wedding band now, before it''s too late. I don''t want her giving up on us!
7.gif
Oh, rfath... I''m so sorry that she''s still not doing well & the lack of communication from drs. is enough to drive you all crazy...

What is strange is that I was driving down the highway just a half hour ago and suddenly thought of your fiance''s grandmother and was planning on posting a message to see how she is doing ~ I''m so sorry she''s not improved.

And giving you her wedding band...
7.gif
that just makes my heart hurt... I hope that she isn''t giving up either, but I also think that if something were to happen before the wedding, I think you would really cherish that special moment you were able to share with her when she gives it to you..

Many prayers sent her way and to you and your fiance.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
7.gif
rfath, I''m so sorry. You and your fiance and family are in my thoughts....I agree with what Lovey said that sometimes ICU is the best place to be in terms of care. Hang in there--we are here for you and sending positive healing vibes!!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Rfath: I am so sorry about the situation. I do not understand what is going on. As icekid said, past medical history is always important. Did the children insist strongly? When my grandfather was in the hospital his neruologist was always in a rush, no explanation. I put my foot down (hard) and he was extremely helpful from then on. My thoughts are with you.

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
rfath: I hope her children are able to get a better response out of the neurologist, they certainly deserve it. More good vibes coming her way!

palmbaybabe

Shiny_Rock
my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again for the thoughts! Every one helps!

I don''t have any updates currently... We were planning on driving to NYC this weekend, but I''ll probably miss out on seeing her as I''ve got a really nasty flu virus - fiance is worried also about passing it to her (but is checking on precautions he can take to go in and see her). Anyone want to meet with a bored, plague-carrying LIW-graduate in the city?
2.gif

I know that the situation with the neurologist got her children upset enough that my fiance''s father wrote a memo and attached it to his mother''s chart requesting a consult with the other neurologist, with his Harvard business card (he''s part of the School of Public Health) attached for contact information once he had done so. I don''t think it went over too well with the attending neurologist...

Please Grandma, hang in there! You''re strong!

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
rfath - I hope your FI gets to see his grandmother this weekend. That was a good idea of FI''s father to push the matter with the neurologist. Neuro guys can be such jerks.

I''d join you in the city but I have to trundle off to Vermont. As if it''s not cold enough here!

*More hugs and good vibes*

heartsonfire

Shiny_Rock
Rfath: Any updates about grandma? She is still in my thoughts and prayers.

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the thoughts!

She''s still doing well, though the doctors are still cautious. She''s been moved to a branch of the hospital for therapy. They gave her a pacemaker which fortunately hasn''t had to do any correcting.

Unfortunately, I still haven''t gotten to see her since even a runny nose from the cold weather scares her.
7.gif

heartsonfire

Shiny_Rock
Good to hear that she is in good hads. I''ll continue praying for her. And you get well soon, so you can see her!
1.gif

How is the wedding planning doing. Have you set up the website yet. Let me know if I am allowed to take a peek.
9.gif

I know that it will be in Boston. Will it be more in a private setting or will it be a restaurant or hotel venue. Let me know maybe I can help, I used to work for an upscale hotel in Boston. And if you don''t have flowers yet... Winston Flowers in Boston is awesome. You can PM me too.

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Every positive thought counts.. I''m sure of it! I hope that we stop the snifflies soon too.. it''s hard not being able to go see her.

No website yet... still working on a few things, sadly. I''ll private message you the details about my planning!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Rfath, take care of YOUR cold, and I"m sending positive thoughts for Fi''s grandmother....so glad that she is improving, though I know it feels like slow going and you want to see her
8.gif
(((HUGS)))

NoonersMom

Shiny_Rock
Rfath, ditto regarding what BlueRoses said. Take care of yourself! Glad to hear that grandma is doing better. She''s still in my thoughts!

Keep us posted!

rfath

Shiny_Rock
*sigh*

She was supposed to be moved to her daughter''s house for rehab, but the hospital instead gave her and four other patients in the unit food poisoning. I feel horrible for her having to face something like that after major abdominal surgery - and furious at the hospital for letting something like that happen. I know that accidents happen, but these poor people!

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
Honestly, hospitals are sometimes the most dangerous place for sick people. I''ve heard so many stories about people going in for one thing and ending up with an unrelated illness or infection. I am so sorry to hear about the food poisoning, and I am hoping she is released SOON so that she can begin the process of getting back on her feet. How are you doing though all of this? *Hugs*

ps. definitely let us know when you have a wedding website up!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Oh I''m so sorry to hear that. It''d be one thing if she was in the hospital for a broken leg but to deal with the effects of food poisoning after abdominal surgery? That just isn''t right. Hopefully the hospital will take extra care of her so that she can relocate soon. Sending good thoughts.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Rfath, that is terrible--and as others have said, sadly not that rare. I am so sorry!!!! They had better get her well and rectify this--it''s just reprehensible.

Sending BIG (((HUGS))) and healing thoughts!!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, its just one thing after another
8.gif

I will keep her in my thoughts and wish her a speedy recovery from the food poisoning!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results