shape
carat
color
clarity

Montblanc Watch

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone own a Montblanc watch?

A while back I posted about surprising my hubby a watch for our first anniversary coming up next month. After doing lots of research and taking into consideration his preferences, I've narrowed it down to this Montblanc Men's TimeWalker Automatic Chronograph. I was just curious as to what people know regarding the quality of their watches.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Montblancwatch.jpg

customcushion

Shiny_Rock
Montblanc makes a nice looking watch, but not all of their watches have movements that are finished to the same standard of other swiss watches for several K.

That being said, they recently started collaborating with Minerva to make some very high end movements in some of their watches.

Others of their watches have much more ''plain'' movements.

As a watch enthusiast, let me ask: What is his taste (does he own other watches now ?); What are your budget constraints ? Does he "know" watches ?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I agree with custom...I sold this watch line when it first came out and they were depending more on their good name and style of the watch rather then better made movements.I agree that over the years that the movements have become higher quality and geared toward a more serious watch collector.I agree that there are other choices for the money.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/22/2008 10:18:53 AM
Author: customcushion
Montblanc makes a nice looking watch, but not all of their watches have movements that are finished to the same standard of other swiss watches for several K.

That being said, they recently started collaborating with Minerva to make some very high end movements in some of their watches.

Others of their watches have much more ''plain'' movements.

As a watch enthusiast, let me ask: What is his taste (does he own other watches now ?); What are your budget constraints ? Does he ''know'' watches ?
Hmmm, interesting....my dad is also a watch enthusiast and thought that Montblanc were a good choice. I wasn''t aware about any differences in movements - thanks for the tip! This will be his first "luxury" watch. I do not want to spend more than $3,500 (the cost of this watch). As for his tastes, this watch matches it to a T. He wanted the croc leather strap, with simple/modern face (not a lot of dials, etc). He also wanted it to be automatic.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Custom ,
do you collect watchs?What are your favorites ect?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Blushing,
What other brands have you researched in the price range.
I would also consider brands like Omega,Baume & Mercier.Breitling,Ebel,Jaeger-Lecoultre,and Rolex.A few of these brands are more then the $3,500.00 price range but all these brands are well respected for quality in the watch world and will become a future heirloom.A watch by JLC,Rolex,or Omega would be enjoyed for a lifetime!

customcushion

Shiny_Rock
Buy him a gently used (buy from an anal retentive collector) Cartier Santos 100. Retails around 5 or 6K, but I''ve seen them at 3500, in near mint condition, on the pre owned collectors market

My next watch will be the 43mm Roger Dubuis Easy Diver in stainless steel with the white Gold bezel. The movement is finished to the Geneve Seal standards, which puts it on par with $30K watches.

customcushion

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/22/2008 12:08:03 PM
Author: jewelerman
Custom ,

do you collect watchs?What are your favorites ect?

I don''t know about ''collecting'' watches, but I sure wear them

Here''s my upcoming purchases list. You like ??

*Roger Dubuis EasyDiver 43mm
*Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Jay-Z
*Cartier Santos 100 XL
*IWC Portuguese Chrono-Automatic
*Officine Panerai Luminor 1950 8 Days Chrono Monopulsante GMT Pink Gold (PAM00277)
9.gif

[sorry for the thread jack...]

customcushion

Shiny_Rock
"I wasn't aware about any differences in movements - thanks for the tip!"

Blushing, the differences in movements of Watches is monumental. It's simlar (but so much less practical) to the difference in Cut with a diamond - unless you were educated that was what commanded the big bucks, you wouldn't know.

Ironically, fancy automatic watches are less 'accurate' than a 10$ quartz... but who wears a watch to tell time anymore ??

When I was wearing this beast (pic attached), a 47mm (case size) manual watch, I would often not notice that the watch had stopped ticking hours ago (if you don't wind a manual watch, it will eventually stop). I have a blackberry to tell the time
9.gif

35061.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Custom ,
The IWC and the A & P are killer and make my mouth water.....These are all great watch lines for blushing bride to consider for her husband!

customcushion

Shiny_Rock
I''d be happy with any of them from my FI :)

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you JM and CC - I appreciate your advice and suggestions. I will continue to research other options as per your posts.
5.gif

customcushion

Shiny_Rock
google ''timezone sales corner'' and take a look at whats for sale. There are some collectors with very good reputations selling watches they own.

Please research whoever you buy a watch from - store or individual. Ask for references of satisfied past clients. Ask if the watch comes with all papers and cases etc - if not it should be a little cheaper (like having an uncerted diamond).

Let me know if I can help some more. I like topics I know a bit about :)

customcushion

Shiny_Rock
Another beautiful, if underappreciated, Swiss brand is Dubey & Schaldenbrand. They should be in your budget range.

Take a look at their watches. GORGEOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results