shape
carat
color
clarity

Mom's New Antique E-Ring

LGK

Ideal_Rock
OK so I think I finally rubbed off on her. Ha. She's had a pretty celtic yellow gold knotwork band with a small bezel set sapphire since she got (re)married in... 1997 or something? Anyway, she's ridiculously hard on the poor thing. Gardening in it (and I mean heavy gardening, like digging koi ponds and stuff), never taking it off, etc. So it's pretty mangled- the bezel is worn very flat, the ring's out of round and the gold's quite worn, and the sapphire's... well, mangled is the word- chipped, scratched, worn facets and so forth.

I got her to take it off to clean it today and the entire space behind the stone was packed with dirt- and of course that made me totally twitch :-o .

So anyway, her husband OK'd her to find a diamond for an alternate e-ring. I got her an antique diamond ring two xmases ago, which was her first diamond... it was a pretty 2-tone gold '40s ring, with a small diamond, probably .20ish cts, and she wears it as a pinky ring.

I had been trying to foist this ring off on *someone* because it's a screaming deal and really pretty (it belongs to a dealer in the antique mall I work at). Anyway, apparently it was waiting for her- she fell in love with it yesterday and wanted me to come look at it today, and I totally laughed when I saw it was this particular ring I'd thought was the best deal we had in the mall at the moment.

It's somewhere around .55-.65 cts, 18K white gold filigree die struck setting with synthetic french cut sapphires, c. late 1920s I think. (It is in fact extremely similar to my e-ring setting which I think is cool too.) The center stone is a modern RB, but an older one with a bruted girdle. It's table isn't huge though and it has decent crown height, so that's nice. Cut isn't like awesomely superb, but still pretty nice- no distracting darkness, decent fire and light return. The scintillation is a bit less than similar stones though, but otherwise it's a pretty cut, especially for the price. The color is fabulous- super, super white. I am not a great judge of high color stones when they're set, but IMO it's probably a G, or could be higher. No fluoro.

The price is absolutely killer- probably around scrap for the setting.

Oh and it needs some work- it was sized down but not soldered back together, and one prong is sheared off, but since it has 8 prongs it's wearable as-is at least.

It's a very small size right now- a tiny smidge over 4. She'll need around a 6.5. I was pleasantly surprised that it fit me- I will be happy if I ever get down to a size 3 again finally! (But I'll take size 4 any day, it's been awhile since my fingers were that small.)

Anyway I am totally excited for her that she got a diamond e-ring for the first time in her life :bigsmile: I did forbid her to do major earth moving in the garden while wearing the new ring however. We'll see how long that lasts! Least it'll hold up better than a sapphire...

I'll try to post better pics with the decent camera later and not just use my cruddy phone camera.

momsnewering1.jpg

momsnewering2.jpg

momsnewering3.jpg

momsnewering4.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
more pics

momsnewering5.jpg

momsoriginaering1.jpg

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Good for Mom and you! I know what you mean about dirty rings. I used to be horrified whenever I cleaned my mom's rings. She refused to do it and I swear I pulled out a dust bunny the size of a pea one time. :knockout:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yummo, what a lovely ring! Congrats to your mum.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: for your mum!

It's a lovely ring :bigsmile:

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! You're right, the original e-ring was defiantly "well loved". ::)

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
It's beautiful! I love antique rings. I love that it has sapphires in it like her original ering.

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
the new ring is very pretty :appl:

catwalk82

Shiny_Rock
so happy for your mom! I just about swooned when I saw the setting-I just love antique settings!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
LGK, What a great find, it's beautiful! It looks pretty solid too for a vintage ring, perfect for your moms lifestyle!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is such a beautiful ring!! I have such a soft spot for these antique pieces, and this one is just so pretty! I also like the fact that it has sapphires like her original ring.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
What a fun story, and a very fun ring! Her original was definitely well loved. :rodent:

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I'll have to have her read this thread, I'm sure she'd get a kick out of it; thanks everyone :bigsmile: I'm totally excited for her.

You all have NO idea how well loved her ring was. You're seeing it in the post refurbishing state. We had my favorite bench guy put it back round, and polish it. Prior to that project, it was super flat on the bottom and MUCH more dinged up. And yes, she has been warned fully to not do major digging with this ring on- we'll see...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting for your Mom (and for you)! Pretty ring too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results