shape
carat
color
clarity

Mom, Dad: Where do babies come from?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
I never got the "talk" but I was very young in the 80''s when most movies had very long and uncomfortable sex scenes....... They sure don''t make movies like they used too! Thank Goodness, I couldn''t imagine my sons watching soft **** at such a young age
20.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 2:36:11 PM
Author: doodle

Kiddo goes, ''Yeah, I get what you mean. I used to think that was disgusting, too, but now I think ''YAY POOP!''''

LMFAO! Oh he''s hilarious! YAY!

I never got the sex talk, and I couldn''t figure out what the heck was happening to me when I finally had my period, and I was horrified to show her what had happened to my underwear. She just went and got me some pads and then left the room and never really said anything. I didn''t understand ANYTHING until I hit high school - and even then some stuff evaded me.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I got 'the talk' at around 12 years old, and it was mortifying. My stepmother decided to do it after my dad chickened out, and she was angry at my dad. Needless to say, it wasn't a pleasant experience. Anything I didn't learn from THE talk I learned from friends, and in school. I don't remember discussing anything with my mom at all until I was in my late teens.

For those that haven't had the convo or that don't have children yet, when would you have it?

I'm hoping to make it an open point of discussion when he/they are very young. That way, there isn't one big, dramatic 'talk'; it'll be something we can discuss whenever questions arise.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
My parents were very strict and conservative (they have since mellowed a bit, thank goodness), and pretty much all my siblings and I had for sex talks was a bunch of children's books on the coffee table and the 'don't do it until you're married' speech. I had my first period at 10 and didn't even know what it was! I thought I was sick and possibly dying, but I didn't dare tell my mom because of the 'never talk about anything from down there' unspoken rule. So when she showed up at school the next day to tell me about periods and puberty, I was both mortified and angry! We didn't have sex ed until a year later at school.

I certainly plan on telling my children earlier than that, and I really want to try to make my children comfortable with asking me any kinds of questions. It's not something I want my children to live with, being uncomfortable confiding in and asking questions to their mom. I don't know if that will change before my kids get into school, but there is currently no more sex ed in school in Quebec (
29.gif
), so we'll have to make sure they are properly informed pretty early on.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Oh man. I was definitely the corrupting influence, telling sex jokes in 2nd and 3rd grade! I don''t even know how I knew them. I also knew that my sister was a suprise and that my parents were using protection (I''m assuming the pill), which my friends then decided meant that the condom broke. We were pretty savvy elementary school kids. I also found a copy of "The Joy of Sex" in the office in 3rd or 4th grade that answered a lot of questions that I had. Didn''t read anything, I just looked at the pictures and figured it out.

I had the "What boys want from girls" speech from my dad in 8th grade (talk about embarassing). He made it very clear what our family expectations were. My mom passed down one sage bit of wisdom ("Babies happen.") but it was my aunt that really drove the point home. She got pregnant at 16 or 17 and said, "It was harder for me to tell your dad, my stepbrother, than it was to tell my own mother." I could remember how mad my dad was when he found out, and quickly decided that wasn''t a conversation I ever wanted to have with him and that high school was NOT old enough to have sex thankyouverymuch. That was just before freshman year.

I do hope to have a very open approach with my (future) kids, and start young (3 sounds good, Musey, I like your plan). I know of parents that have told their kids about "Mommy and Daddy playtime" and the kid plays in their room for a while and the parents play in their room for a while. Not sure I''d handle it that way, but I definitely don''t want sex to be some big, secretive, exciting forbidden thing. I think a more open approach is really helpful, and can create a healthier outlook on sex and the human body. But I do think that there needs to be clear communication on family values and what is expected. I know it was made crystal clear to me what was expected from me, and it was done right at a time where I still really valued my parents'' opinions and made decisions based more around those than around what my friends were doing. After that I never really questioned why I wasn''t willing to have sex in high school, and it worked out well for me. (That and a healthy dose of fear that since nothing bad had happened to my friends, it would surely happen to me.)

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Oh! Funny story on the period front.

When I was 8, one of my (older, wiser) friends told me that on the night of your 9th birthday, you started bleeding down there so you shouldn''t wear underwear your really liked, or pants because it would ruin them. So I meticulously chose underwear I didn''t like, and made sure to only sleep in a night shirt that night. I got pretty mad at her when I didn''t start bleeding uncontrollably and yelled at her for scaring me.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 1:37:14 PM
Author: princesss

When I was 8, one of my (older, wiser) friends told me that on the night of your 9th birthday, you started bleeding down there so you shouldn''t wear underwear your really liked, or pants because it would ruin them. So I meticulously chose underwear I didn''t like, and made sure to only sleep in a night shirt that night. I got pretty mad at her when I didn''t start bleeding uncontrollably and yelled at her for scaring me.
LOL. Where do kids get this crap? My goodness!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I got the talk at around 7. It went like this:

Mom: Has [older neighbor boys] ever talked about sex?
Me: thinking,
6.gif
am I in trouble?!

Then she gave me a book to read. Real simple and straightforward...then I took the book to school and showed it to all my friends. Hahaha!
9.gif

I remember after my brother was born (I was 6) asking my mom about her scar (I thought all babies were born via c-section) and she was like, um, there is no scar, he came out between my legs. I was horrified.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 1:55:29 PM
Author: elledizzy5

Date: 5/29/2009 1:37:14 PM
Author: princesss

LOL. Where do kids get this crap? My goodness!
LOL for realz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results