shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite and Asha (manmade) diamond vs real diamonds

gktops

Rough_Rock
The problem with the halo for the .77 ct is that WF doesn't have any halos, at least none in the $1000 or below budget. If I'm gonna spend more than $1000 for a halo I mine as well stay with the 3-stone!

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Ladies and gentlemen, a gentle reminder that we don't allow discussions of synthetic stones on PS. We don't mind the conversation about educating someone on why they are different, but if the thread continues to discuss what options to buy, what kind of fakes to buy, etc. the thread will need to be closed. Thanks for your cooperation.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, the ring does not look that sparkly to me, but it could just be the pic. Is it clean? A clean ring will sparkle much more. Diamonds attract grease.

recordaras

Shiny_Rock
I'd keep the 3 stone - when (if) you decide to upgrade in the future, she can switch it to her right hand and continue wearing it.
And I honestly wouldn't do moissanite unless she's completely on board and asked for it herself, otherwise there's a fairly high chance of things not going over very well. Which would be a shame, since engagements are supposed to be happy!

Just a personal opinion - I would take a .25ct diamond in a fun etsy setting over a moissanite of any size any day. Have you considered colored stones?

gktops

Rough_Rock
No, I haven't considered colored stones... Are they much cheaper?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ For the most part, yes. Have you been to the Colored Stones sub-forum here? They are very knowledgeable folks and they could help you find something amazing. You could get a honkin blue sapphire in a diamond setting.

gktops

Rough_Rock
Ahhh I thought you meant colored diamonds

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
FWIW, I do not agree with the claim that moissanite looks more like diamond than CZ. That's a tricky issue because not all diamonds look the same, not all moissanites look the same and not all CZ's look the same. The classic problem with CZ is bad cutting and the color is too white. The classic problem with moissanite is bad cutting and the color is too green. The other problem is in cleaning and wear. Dirty CZ's don't look especially like dirty diamonds even if they're pretty close when clean. The same is true of dirty Moissanites. Actually the same is even true of dirty DIAMONDS but in both cases, the fakes look more fake when they're dirty. Both stones are significantly softer than diamond and they tend to wear faster. Sims take a bit more care to keep looking their best and she specifically needs to avoid things like gardening and rock climbing while wearing them. Even then, they don't last forever while diamonds mostly do. That means that in an engagement ring you're going to be replacing it occasionally. This is true of both. Be ready for it. How often will depend on her wear patterns but expect every few years.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Colored diamonds are pretty pricey but there are other stones that can be quite reasonable. White sapphire, for example, might be worth considering.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gktops|1393200588|3621468 said:
Does anyone else have this problem? The center stone of the 3-stone I have is an ACA 0.773 ct, but I feel like it would look soooooo small on a solitare band. Am I crazy?
sounds good to me!..."Ain't nothing like the real thing baby".. :wink2:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please keep the three stone diamond ring!!! That provides a lot of finger coverage and being an ACA, it is a fantastic diamond! I can't even understand why you are even thinking about fake stones when you have a perfectly good ring already!!! I can't imagine being surprised with a fake stone. I can't see that going over well.

recordaras

Shiny_Rock
And is there any reason you're not including your gf in this decision? In all honesty it seems that it might be time to ask her up front what she wants. Who knows, maybe she doesn't even like diamonds?..

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were me I'd keep the 3 stone, I think it is elegant and beautiful and I'd be happy to own it and you are talking to someone who does like both big and small diamonds. Otherwise keep the two smaller side stones and find something coloured in your budget like a sapphire, a spinel, a tourmaline, a zircon or something that you know she will love to go into the centre of the same style of ring.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I really think you should include her. I was a part of the process for mine, mainly because we had stones handed down to me from my family. My husband still surprised me with the proposal. She may make all of this easier for you and tell you exactly what she wants instead of you having to guess :wavey:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you need to propose and move on with things ;)) When you see how much she freaks out loving her ring, then you will no longer be concerned!

I also disagree with others who say 0.77ct is small in a solitare. I know a number of women with solitares that size -- my mom, my close friend, my sister in law -- and I always notice their rings and think they are lovely and sparkly and large! It is only ME and others like me, you know, crazy PSers, who think a 0.77ct diamond might look "small", and even then I only apply it to how things look on my own hand. You have said your gf is not really into diamonds already, so I doubt she will think 0.77ct is too small as a solitaire. But a three stone will knock her socks off ::)

As to your original question: I think rejecting societal notions about diamonds is great. Go for it. Get a plain band, no engagement ring, a colored gem (although those are the norm in many places now and certainly were the engagement stone of choice in centuries past as well, so it does not fully avoid the social mores concerning gems and engagements). But IMO to reject the importance and social meaning of diamonds and other expensive natural gems-- as dowry, as symbol of wealth, as symbol of a contract etc -- in one breath and then wear a fake stone designed to fool others into thinking you ARE participating in the social meaning of diamonds.... well that is a disengenuous psychology I personally find hard to fathom. Your mileagle may vary, but unless you gf specifically asked for a sim, I would not get her one.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1393207887|3621553 said:
I think you need to propose and move on with things ;)) When you see how much she freaks out loving her ring, then you will no longer be concerned!

I also disagree with others who say 0.77ct is small in a solitare. I know a number of women with solitares that size -- my mom, my close friend, my sister in law -- and I always notice their rings and think they are lovely and sparkly and large! It is only ME and others like me, you know, crazy PSers, who think a 0.77ct diamond might look "small", and even then I only apply it to how things look on my own hand. You have said your gf is not really into diamonds already, so I doubt she will think 0.77ct is too small as a solitaire. But a three stone will knock her socks off ::)

As to your original question: I think rejecting societal notions about diamonds is great. Go for it. Get a plain band, no engagement ring, a colored gem (although those are the norm in many places now and certainly were the engagement stone of choice in centuries past as well, so it does not fully avoid the social mores concerning gems and engagements). But IMO to reject the importance and social meaning of diamonds and other expensive natural gems-- as dowry, as symbol of wealth, as symbol of a contract etc -- in one breath and then wear a fake stone designed to fool others into thinking you ARE participating in the social meaning of diamonds.... well that is a disengenuous psychology I personally find hard to fathom. Your mileagle may vary, but unless you gf specifically asked for a sim, I would not get her one.

I really hope you listen to Dreamer here.
I saw your picture of the 3 stone and I thought, WOW What a lucky fiancee !!!
A Cut Above Diamonds, and 3 of them ?!?!?!
I WISH !!!!
Are you getting a bit cold feet here ??

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
Have you considered estate jewelry before you rule out diamonds completely? The old cuts, especially, can be a good deal.
I don't think a .77 carat is small. I have a .60 old mine cut in an antique solitaire setting, and even though I wear my 2.24 carat every day, when I wear this one it gets noticed! I will post a picture so you can see. So maybe you can get a bezel setting?
image_1278.jpg

gktops

Rough_Rock
Well guys, I just brought it up to her. One of the first questions I asked her was, "Go to google and type in moissanite vs diamond" ... Her response was "Which one is the diamond?" .. To that, I said, "If you could have a smaller diamond (0.5-0.8) carat solitare, or a larger 1.25 carat moissanite, which would you pick?"

Drum roll...

She said she would rather have the moissanite! Given the cheaper price tag, she said she would much rather us get a moissanite ring and then upgrade in the future when we have more money!

Now, does that make it easier? Or just add to the mess? Haha.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone is making excellent points to you, the ring you have selected gives excellent finger coverage and in the real world your centre diamond is not a small one, compared to the average person who buys from a mall type store the three stones are all stunning. People look at Pricescope boards and compare uber large diamonds to their own and suffer from Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome when the reality is most people start out with diamonds the same size as yours or smaller. People here have traded and upgraded often a number of times to end up with what you see here.

What you have was and is a beautiful ring. You need to stop worrying about what everyone else thinks and find out what will make her happy.

She might be stating that she likes the Mossy because she feels guilty if you spend the money. Before the drumroll did you show her the existing ring??? That is possibly what you need to do because if I had the choice between a 1.25 Mossy and your ring, I'd take your ring.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
gktops|1393213436|3621604 said:
Well guys, I just brought it up to her. One of the first questions I asked her was, "Go to google and type in moissanite vs diamond" ... Her response was "Which one is the diamond?" .. To that, I said, "If you could have a smaller diamond (0.5-0.8) carat solitare, or a larger 1.25 carat moissanite, which would you pick?"
gktops|1393213436|3621604 said:
I'm curious about the cost of moissanite and its resale value. Have you considered that? Because if the plan is to upgrade in the future, you would have to factor that in to the equation. I think a .8 solitaire has better resale value than a 1.25 moissanite, esp. if you purchase the .8 carat preowned.

gktops

Rough_Rock
Anyone know of a good site to look at lower (or higher depending on how you look at it) colored stones? Like K-Z?

Diamondpriceguru.com loves giving me lcoffers? when I click on diamonds there (aka I guess the diamond doesn't really exist)

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Quick question......does she know you already purchased the three stone? Because when she sees the ring she may very well change her mind. She may feel your reluctance to spend so much money and is saving face by saying she would take the Moissy.
I have to say the ring looks plenty big and sparkly on your finger and it is too small on you. On her finger it is going to look great.
I just feel for an engagement ring it should be special, and I'm sorry a sim or whatever to me says I really don't care. AND you don't seem like that, you've already put so much into this ring.
FWIW there is a male teacher in our school who got engaged last year and we were all shocked at the size of the ring. When I mentioned to him that I was impressed with her ring, its in a very pretty vintage setting, he said yeah you like it? Don't tell her I told you, but its fake! She wanted a 2 ct ring and I told her the only way she was ever getting 2 cts was if it was fake, but the ring is gold so when her friends ask is it real she can say yes and not lie!!!
I asked was planning to upgrade down the road? He said why? when this one gets crappy we will replace it.
I'm sorry that's just wrong!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you actually shown her the 3 stone, you seem to be avoiding the question, if not can you show her a picture of the 3 stone, a mossy that is 1.25 and a ring with a lower colour diamond. Explain to her that a 3 stone is real diamonds and gives great finger coverage, a mossy is well a mossy and will look bigger but will not hold it's value at all when you go to resell it and a lower coloured diamond will give a bigger centre stone but will not be stark white looking. If you go for a lower colour, I'd suggest an Antique diamond might be another option.

Here is a genuine Antique diamond ring that gives full finger coverage for example;

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-Vintage/Art-Deco-Transitional-Antique/29510859_m87LX8#!i=2522156982&k=2jpMrz4

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
gktops|1393214103|3621620 said:
Anyone know of a good site to look at lower (or higher depending on how you look at it) colored stones? Like K-Z?

Diamondpriceguru.com loves giving me lcoffers? when I click on diamonds there (aka I guess the diamond doesn't really exist)
Have you looked at GOG?

gktops

Rough_Rock
I did tell her that I already bought a 3 stone and that it was $4500. Her response was, "Wow that's a lot. Can you still return it?"

Also, and I know it seems like my train of thought keeps changing directions (it is)... This whole time, I have been looking at RB's, but it looks like you can get 1 ct princess diamonds for 2k. Maybe get a 1 ct princess solitare?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gktops|1393215079|3621630 said:
I did tell her that I already bought a 3 stone and that it was $4500. Her response was, "Wow that's a lot. Can you still return it?"

Also, and I know it seems like my train of thought keeps changing directions (it is)... This whole time, I have been looking at RB's, but it looks like you can get 1 ct princess diamonds for 2k. Maybe get a 1 ct princess solitare?

Gosh if you mentioned the darn thing to her you need to show it to her, I suspect she might be blown away by the cut of the diamonds you have chosen, you are sort of talking yourself into the fact she won't like it by mentioning it and not showing it to her now.....

Princess diamonds face up smaller so a 1 carat princess isn't going to look substantially bigger than your current centre stone unless you put it into a halo. Other shapes are cheaper than round brilliants and give better finger coverage, ovals, marquise & hearts come to mind like this;

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11611

I am sure everyone could help you find a decent oval and you could put that into a halo.

gktops

Rough_Rock
Maybe she isn't in the same state to be able to show it to her??

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gktops|1393215504|3621637 said:
Maybe she isn't in the same state to be able to show it to her??

O.K I see and you want it to be a surprise?

So why can't you send her a pic of that oval I linked above cut and paste that somewhere, a solitaire Mossy, something antique and your ring which I have linked below using this picture and ask her which ones she likes and which ones she doesn't if she says she doesn't like your ring then you can stop driving yourself nuts and buy something else;

image2_1_0.jpg

gktops

Rough_Rock
Yeah, that may seem easy. But she is not going to say that she doesn't like it. She may like it, but she doesn't like the price tag, especially since she knows what my bank acct looks like :naughty:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gktops|1393216414|3621645 said:
Yeah, that may seem easy. But she is not going to say that she doesn't like it. She may like it, but she doesn't like the price tag, especially since she knows what my bank acct looks like :naughty:

O.K, look at it like this, the ring which we have now established that she is probably highly going to like and her liking it or not liking it is NOT the issue here is like an investment in your future, start saving to replenish the bank account and if she says she doesn't like the fact you spent so much tell her that she is worth every penny unless of course you really cannot afford the ring, in which case then taking it back and finding a cheaper option is fine. This ring is a one off spend. You can explain it like this sims are much softer than diamonds, so if she wears a Mossy or a coated CZ then over time they will wear and will eventually need replacing, by the time you replace them once or twice you have spent the value of this which doesn't need replacing, will hold it's value and I think is more beautiful than the other options you have mentioned.

If it is a case of you honestly not being able to afford it then take it back and either save a bit longer or find a cheaper option like a preloved ring or a oval or another shape in a halo. I kind of think it is done now, the horse has bolted you have purchased the ring, you have had it made now it's a bit late to be having a panic attack over how much you spent this probably should have been considered beforehand not after the event....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results