shape
carat
color
clarity

MOH Speech Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
So I''m the maid of honor at my BFF''s wedding this weekend and I haven''t even started writing the speech!!!!

Of course I kept coming up with ideas for little stories and things to say at random times and I''d think "ooh, that''s a good idea. I should write that down." And of course, I didn''t. I''m just a HUGE procrastinator.

Added to that, I have a mighty big fear of public speaking. Ironic, I have my bachelor''s in Public Relations/Communications. I''ll probably take a Xanax or a beta blocker with a glass of champagne to try to quell those fears. My palms sweat just thinking about it. YIKES!!

My question for you, is this: do you have any pointers for a good MOH speech. Anything from previous speeches you''ve heard that really touched you? I always notice that the Best Man speech kicks the MOH speech''s arse. Why is that?

Help me LIWs (and others!) You always have the bestest advice!!!
2.gif

miss_flo

Shiny_Rock
Hey TG!
35.gif
I always appreciate a speech that appeals to both the bride and groom, because many times I''ve seen best men talk ONLY about their friendship with the groom and vice versa with the MOH/bride. Stories are fun but I''d avoid anything that doesn''t have to do with the couple or getting married. Short and sweet is always the best way to go, and remember: it''s really easy to make people cry at weddings. ;-)

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
K.I.S.S. (no, not knights in satan''s service...lol)

Keep It Simple Silly

mine was about 2 minutes long. I thanked everyone for being here, gave a little background info on the friend, then the couple. thanked everyone again, and then wished them the best.

oh, and i was given 2 seconds to prepare... i didnt know i had to give one!!

jjdav

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/3/2009 5:23:37 PM
Author:Travel Goddess
So I'm the maid of honor at my BFF's wedding this weekend and I haven't even started writing the speech!!!!

Of course I kept coming up with ideas for little stories and things to say at random times and I'd think 'ooh, that's a good idea. I should write that down.' And of course, I didn't. I'm just a HUGE procrastinator.

Added to that, I have a mighty big fear of public speaking. Ironic, I have my bachelor's in Public Relations/Communications. I'll probably take a Xanax or a beta blocker with a glass of champagne to try to quell those fears. My palms sweat just thinking about it. YIKES!!

My question for you, is this: do you have any pointers for a good MOH speech. Anything from previous speeches you've heard that really touched you? I always notice that the Best Man speech kicks the MOH speech's arse. Why is that?

Help me LIWs (and others!) You always have the bestest advice!!!
2.gif

Hi, I was a bridesmaid and even though I thought the MOH usually gave the speeches, my friend asked me to speak. I didn't know her husband very well (since I moved out of the country when they started dating, so I only saw him a few times) so I focused my speech on thanking everyone for being there, how I knew the bride, some stories about us and then I focused on how she changed after they had met. I don't mean how her personality has changed, but how her life was different, her demeanor and things she did that made them both happy. It went down well with her guests, it also helped that the best man was a nervous wreck!
31.gif

Oh I ran my ideas by my friend, she is very shy so I wanted to make sure she was comfortable with what I was going to say.

Good Luck!
5.gif

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Hi TravelGoddess! I''ve never done a speech at a wedding...I''m a BM in a wedding this weekend and I haven''t been asked to do a speech but I may say something short and sweet if I can gather the courage (I hate public speaking too!).

At my dear friend''s wedding back in October we heard the best and worst speeches ever. The best speech was by the MOH who is the bride''s sister. She told funny stories from their childhood but also spoke about how much she''s grown and how she''s so proud to be her sister and now her best friend (they fought all throughout their childhood). The worst speech was by a BM who told inappropriate stories (like how she had kissed the groom first
23.gif
), showed irrelevant pictures, and made the comment that she knew the bride and groom the best as a couple - which many people begged to differ.

So, my advice is to keep it short, share some anecdotes that many of the guests can relate to (i.e. reflect the bride''s character), pull a couple of heartstrings, and then toast the happy couple!

Oh, and I think the Best Man''s speech always seems better because the stories are funnier..as in, guys do dumber things in their lifetime.
3.gif

Good luck!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for the responses so far. Great ideas ladies!!!

I''ve got to figure out a way to keep from bawling the entire time. I had to introduce myself to all the other women at her shower and I was getting choked up just saying how happy I was for her. Oh man. I really hope the Xanax calms my fears and numbs my emotions a little.
41.gif

Short and sweet. That''s going to be my motto. There''s a matron of honor as well, so if she''s also planning a speech, I''ve really got to keep it quick.

I think I''ll try to keep it to: how she and I met, how I met the groom, how great they are for each other, and how happy I am for both of them, "thank you all for coming and mozal tov."

I knew I could count on you ladies!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results