shape
carat
color
clarity

Modern cushion cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

How can you tell if a stone is a modern brilliant cushion cut, like the ones I''ve heard you guys raving about?

I have an appointment to look at a couple of cushions tomorrow which I thought were modern cushion cuts. Their facet plots look the same as ones I''ve seen of modern cushions and the GIA calls them "cushion brilliant" cut.

However, the woman I spoke with at the jeweler''s office said that, while they weren''t antique cushions, they weren''t the most modern cushions available either. She said that the most modern cushions were listed by the GIA as ""cushion modified brilliant," not "cushion brilliant." Is this true? If so, what is the difference between the modified brilliant & the brilliant cushions?

I''m so confused!
40.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brightspot,
So glad you posted this question, I for one would love to know the answer. It is awfully confusing!!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most cushions on the market today are modern ones, Antique cushions, or as they are named Old-Mine Cuts are quite scarce, especialy high quality!!!

Cushion brilliant are cut similar to round brilliants as far as faceting arangements (and the closest to their antique counterpart)
Modified cushion brilliant have mostly different pavilion facet arangements, and are similar to princess cuts, or radiant cuts in table top appearance!!

Now it depends on your preference as what type of faceting you prefer!!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, DiaGem.

Do you know which of the 2 cuts is more brilliant? Do they tend to be shaped differently (one more square than the other?) Which has a larger spread?

How do these 2 cuts compare to the RB? (brilliance, spread, shape, etc.)

Could anyone post pictures of the modified brilliant & brilliant cushion cut?

Where could you find a modified brilliant cushion stone?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since in my opinion the princess cut has the most brilliance of all diamonds, naturally the modified cushion brilliant would be the most brilliant of all, but me as a cusion lover myself I would prefer the ones closer to the antique ones!!! (I think they have much more personality and soul)

Cushions can be cut in allmost any proportions (deep/shallow) and still look amazing, it all depends on your preference, me myself I prefer the less spready heavy crowned cushions. I prefer to see the actuall faceting on my diamond, and give up on the spread, but that''s me...

I love when you can see the bulkiness sticking out of the jewelry piece, just like the old days...

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I have noticed that quite a few vendors...and me....are ref'ing to "modern cushions" but they don't just mean that it's not antique. A cushion can be cut today and it won't necessarily be called a "modern cushion"...I think there is a trend to refer to these stones as the extremely well proportioned cushions being cut.... like an uber cushion LOL Here is a link to what I'm talking about. Notice that Jan says it has thing, elongated facets as a round.... I know one thing 100%. It's confusing LOL

http://www.diamondtalk.com/forums/t55422-brilliantcushions.html

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
hey- I checked out the modern stones on DBOF and they are listed as "cushion brilliant"

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, guys!

GOG''s H&A square cushion is also called "cushion brilliant" on the GIA cert...

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hey Brightspot....check this out. Look familiar? LOL... HA!
That light image is surprising...not great.... but I still don''t care. I still say the fire and scintillation combo would just make you drool! You gotta see it in person. Trust me.

I don''t think we''ve seen a scope of these suckers!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/cushion_1_77ct_f_vs1.htm

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Yo Rhino- very cool! First BScope of one on those suckers. So on that particular stone, what's your opinion! Were you scared by the light image?

Now that I think of it, I think Niceice had some light scope images of those on their site (the stones have been sold)....think that the leakage in this stone is more than others I' ve seen but the actual photo of the stone says quite a bit! YOWZA!
18.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results