shape
carat
color
clarity

Mixing shapes?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
I was wondering what everyone thought...

I recently got my Facets channel set princess eternity band. I am still deciding whether to keep it or send it back. I don''t like to wear it just by itself so I have been wearing it with my 1.5ct round solitaire.

I have showed this to a few people and both had the same response -- that rounds and princess cuts shouldn''t be mixed, even though they are in different rings. Their opinion was that angular cuts (i.e. princess, radiants) should stay with other angular cuts and rounds should stay with more rounded cuts.

I never really thought about it until they mentioned it to me so I am looking for other opinions.

The eternity band is not really that comfortable so I''m not looking for an excuse to return it but I kind of like it with my round solitaire. In fact, if I was going to keep it I thought about eventually getting a semi-mount with channel set princess cuts in it.

Sorry the pic is not the best. Thanks for your help.

15_with_eternityband3.jpg

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
This is how I was wearing it before I got the eternity band -- my 5 stone round band.

I'm not sure which looks better.
5.gif

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Oops. That second pic didn''t work. I''ll try it again.

set_001.jpg

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock

Jellybean,

First of all, my usual response is always: It''s your preference!!

But I should also say that I have an e-ring with a round center and have every intention of either getting almost that same exact ring as you or the same thing but shared prong. Now, my e-ring setting isn''t a solitare, but rather it has four rounds and six princess stones in it. And I think that all together they look just perfect!! I have tried on some round stone channel and shared prong rings, but they just don''t do it for me like a princess band...So I at least will be one person wearing such a combination, and I don''t care what people have to say!! But that''s me

2.gif
31.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jellybean,

Many people think that princess cuts and rounds should not be mixed. I do not understand why. I do not think that the angular cut of the princess conflicts with rounds. As you can see by the attached, I happen to like the look. Of course I''m probably in the small minority that does. I think that you should go with whatever you like and forget about what others may think. I really like the princess channel with your solitaire.

catmomspretties2.JPG

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is a matter of personal preference, and if you like the princess band with your rb solitaire, wear them together!

That being said, I actually PREFER the look of your princess band with your solitaire over your 5 stone rb band with the solitaire band. I think the princess band looks AMAZING with the rb solitaire and does not compete as much with the e-ring.

ETA: My avatar shows my set...a pear solitaire with a Lucida (modified square) half eternity ring. I think mixing shapes is fine!!!

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks catmom!

I think if I were to pick out a new ring completely from scratch it would be a princess center with rounds on both sides like this one. I''m not sure whose it is but I saved it from the e-ring thread. I seem to like the eternity band better too. I guess the people I asked were just not used to seeing the two shapes together.

setting_princess.jpg

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my e-ring that I was talking about:

PICT0001ab.jpg

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I LIKE the combination of shapes. Mix it up a bit!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2005 3:49:22 PM
Author:jellybean
..... I''m not looking for an excuse to return it but I kind of like it with my round solitaire.
If YOU like it, that''s really all that matters.

There are no "rules" with jewelry....wear what you like, what makes you happy.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooo Jellybean, I love that ring. Hmm, I wonder if I could add two more side stones to mine?

Stretch4, I love your ring, too. I guess I''m just a mix em match em kind of gal.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think mixing up the shapes looks great, IMHO. It''s up to you and I think it looks great with your ering. Let us know what you decide.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you know what i think jellybean!!
2.gif

the new channel set princess looks GREAT with your solitaire!!
36.gif

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve said it before and I''ll say it again: I love the mix! It''s surprising and unique. A refreshing change from the norm. People just aren''t used to seeing it all the time. I, personally, would love to see more mixes of steps and brilliants, for example.

Let''s put the question in another perspective. Lots of people like the look of a round centre stone with baguette sides. No one thinks that''s weird, yet the arrangment, too, is a mix of round and angular. It''s just because they''re used to seeing it.

I really like your band! If you like the band, keep it. If you don''t, send it back. But don''t listen to other people.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and another vote for mixing it up. ''matching'' seems generic and so so very 50''s. its your ring and you''re the one it should please.

jellybean, i''m not usually a fan of 3-stone rings but that one you posted has changed my mind completely!

peace, movie zombie

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I am not a fan of mixing stones in one ring - e.g. a princess cut main diamond with RB side stones. But that said, I think your set is awesome and I don''t see the prob in mixing stones in two different rings.

I love princess cut channel set bands and I think they look beautiful with whatever engagement ring! (I think I like them because unlike channel set RB bands that have small gaps where a round stone just doesn''t fit, the princess fills up all the space.)

So while it is your choice (and if you say the ring is uncomfortable that''s another story) I think your set looks really, really beautiful and if I were you I wouldn''t consider changing it unless you don''t like the two of them together. And for the record, I like the princess-cut channel set band a lot better than the five stone ... dunno why, it just seems to fit better with your e-ring. It''s your preference (duh) but if you''re taking "votes" I vote for the princess cut. I love it
30.gif

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
If YOU like the way it looks...then why not? I think they look good together.

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Jellybean - that''s MY ring!
As you can see, I love mixing shapes.
I wanted a ring no one else had.
And while I love princesses, I also adore rounds.
I figure I got the best of both worlds.
I have a round ideal cut 5 stone shared prong band as my wedding ring. I would like a princess band in the future. Both would look good and I could mix and match.
It''s really up to you.
I''m also not a fan of very thin bands because I have huge hands and long fingers. Some will say that detracts from my center stone. I say it makes for an amazing package.
Do what you like.
You''re the one that has to wear it every day!

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
This picture shows why I love my ring package (we were on our honeymoon in Vegas). Bling!
3.gif

Jen.jpg

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Stretch4 -- you diamond is stunning!

Jellybean -- I like the look of both the bands with your solitaire. They each give a totally different look. The 5-stone round band really makes a statement, whereas the princess band is a more understated look.

Obviously, there is something that is drawing you to it. Is it the shape of the stones (princess) or is it the way they are set (channel)? I am wondering if you should see how your solitaire would look with a channel set round diamond eternity ring. That just might be the way to go.

Also, you said that this particular band isn''t very comfortable -- I think you should return that one and hold out for one that is comfortable.

sparkle-sparkle

Rough_Rock
JellyBean,
I like the first combo! That''s what I have in mind for my upgrade set. I have a 1 cttw 5 stone band like yours in your second picture! I have been wearing it on my righ hand since DH got it for me as our 5th anniversary gift. I am getting a 1.6 RB and a Tiffany replica setting from WF. I have been eyeballing the princess channel set eternity band from Facet to go with it. I know my 5 stone RB shared prong band will not go well with the round solitaire. I just couldn''t fall in love with look. I didn''t know why until I read FireGoddess'' post about round may compete with round. Well said.
I was not sure about getting the round channel set band or princess channel set band. Even though they both have the same line outwardly, Stretch pointed out that princess channel do not have gap between the stones vs. rounds have little space. After seeing your post, I am certain now what band I will be getting... Thank you, ladies.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Jenibear - I sent you a PM!
2.gif

I''m still not sure what to do. I have been wearing the eternity band the last few days and I am getting more used to it. However, I really don''t like the way it looks with the round solitaire. I also am not crazy about the way my 5 stone round ring looks with the round either. I don''t like channel set rounds b/c of the spaces you see with them.

I got my ring back from Whiteflash on Friday (I''ll post a new thread about it
2.gif
) and I don''t like the way my new 0.55ct looks with it either.
39.gif

I think I have two choices: 1) exchange the eternity band for a common prong set round one; or 2) get this -- my mom (dear lady that she is) told me she would buy me a 0.75ct princess solitaire to wear with the princess eternity band!
6.gif
The eternity band was a remeberance of my grandparents. My father died 8 1/2 years ago (he never met my husband) and my mom said she never bought me anything as a rememberance of him (well, actually she did - she bought me a diamond cross pendant). Anyway, she said she really wants to buy me the princess solitaire now. I am concerned that my husband would think it''s weird for me to have a solitaire that looks like an e-ring that''s not from him.

Anyway, I am leaning toward exchanging it for a round prong set band. I think I will tell my mom if she really wants to get me something to get me a pendant.

What do ya think?

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
I think it''s up to you.
If you don''t like the look of the rings you have, you need to find a look you do like. And if you think the princess solitaire will do the trick, maybe that''s the road to go down.
While my husband could care less if I were to upgrade, etc, I do think he would be miffed if I were to wear a ring from my mother in its place. But that has a lot to do with my mother and my troubled relationship with her, not so much my husband.
If your husband wouldn''t mind, why not?
Which hand would you be wearing the rings on? Your left or right?
Maybe you just need to take all your rings and go somewhere with a good selection and just try on a bunch of different styles until you find what you like.
Good luck!
1.gif

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I''ve made a decision. I returned the princess eternity band and instead am going to get the round shared prong set eternity band.
36.gif
The rounds are around 6 points each, whereas the princess diamonds were 5 points each. I like the prong set rings better anyway so I think it will look great with either solitaire.

While I liked the princess band, I just didn''t like it with my round solitaire. Now if I had started out with a princess solitaire, I would have kept it as I think it would be fabulous together. I really think my husband would get ticked off if I wore a solitaire that wasn''t from him (even though the 1.5ct was technically his mom''s, she gave it to me). I think if my mom had a princess cut and gave it to me that would be OK. So I''ll just have to work on him for an upgrade.
11.gif

The gentleman that I spoke with at Signed Pieces was great. No questions, just "OK - we''ll get working on the new ring right away".
1.gif
I''ve said this before, but I would highly recommend them.

Now I can''t wait to get it! Arrrrugh! Have to wait until May 9!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I am glad you are getting a ring to be excited about...though I liked the princess set. I cannot wait to see you new ring which I think will look super lovely...like the one on the tiffany site. Good Luck on sitting still until the 9th....20 days to go!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Jenibear you are just too cute for words.
And you are right Baaaaaaaliiiinggg.

Hey I love the princess band with the solitaire.
Do what you want- there are no rules. Enjoy

KrWz

Rough_Rock
I think the mix is perfectly fine. Looks like you've already made your decision though. Well here's a picture of a princess cut center with round side stones that we have to help give other people out there an idea of the different styles and looks the mix can give.

pro

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results