shape
carat
color
clarity

Mixing and Matching Metals Help!

Jensst

Rough_Rock
nycspring|1443207678|3931804 said:
My diamond always looks bigger in pictures than real life! Depending on how close the picture is taken, the diamond can look even larger. Also- it might be my finger size, which is a little smaller than average (size 4). The setting is a big factor as well- a thin band, medium height and 6 prongs definitely makes a diamond appear larger, in my opinion. I used to have a very low set, 4 prong solitaire with pave for the same diamond, and my diamond does look bigger after I reset it to the Vatche U-113 6 prong, medium height setting. Attached is a photo comparison that I put together!

@nycspring Wow the side by side is amazing! Do you like the 6 prong being set higher? It doesn't get caught too much? Love your ring!

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Jensst|1442813705|3930093 said:
Thank you everyone this is super helpful! If anyone had any yellow gold and silver combos they can share I would love to see more pictures to help me decide!

Here's my platinum engagement ring (that just got upgraded...the new setting is unplated white) and a tricolor band. I think Neil has a similar look with the wider trinity?

img_0737_0.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kb1gra|1443404761|3932615 said:
Jensst|1442813705|3930093 said:
Thank you everyone this is super helpful! If anyone had any yellow gold and silver combos they can share I would love to see more pictures to help me decide!

Here's my platinum engagement ring (that just got upgraded...the new setting is unplated white) and a tricolor band. I think Neil has a similar look with the wider trinity?

img_0737_0.jpg

You are correct! I have unplated white gold on mine too! Off to see if you have a thread ::)

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
No thread...I'm lazy and knew I was getting a new setting. When it comes in, then thread.

The band is the skinny trinity that was discontinued last year - the ring is a 1.27 center w/ .33 matched sides, H colors, all OECs.

nycspring

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Jensst! I always thought I'd prefer a low set, 4 prong setting. But when I got my first setting, the diamond was set too low (the culet was literally 1mm above my finger) and that, combined with the cathedral setting "arms", made the diamond look hidden/smaller. The medium height setting of the Vatche U113 makes my diamond look rounder (b/c of the 6 prongs) and more prominent from all angles (e.g. the profile view as well). It's not too high- and I rarely get it caught on anything. I always take it off before doing chores, cooking, etc.

Jensst

Rough_Rock
@nycspring. Weird When you went from your band with diamonds to a plain band, was it an adjustment getting used to the look? I currently have diamonds on the side of mine but also might go to a plain band and as I've tried things on, it seems a little foreign to me just because i'm used to seeing the diamonds on the band.

Jensst

Rough_Rock
@ nycspring Meant to say "weird question"!

nycspring

Shiny_Rock
@Jensst It was a little bit of an adjustment because my diamond actually looked bigger! Also, a delicate plain band makes the diamond look like it's floating off the finger, which is lovely. The plain band felt more "me" and balanced, because I tend to dress more casually.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

img_9739.jpg

Jensst

Rough_Rock
@nycspring that's great to hear! I wondered if maybe it was an adjustment going from seeing all the bling to metal since that's what I'm going to transition to.

Love everyone's rings! They are all gorgeous and make me feel great about mixing. Keep em coming!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results