shape
carat
color
clarity

Missing sold jewelry collection.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I recently went to a family reunion in the western town I grew up in and visited many of the jewelry stores and art galleries that I hung out at as a teenager in the 1970s.Over the years I was able to put together a fairly impressive collection of museum quality American Indian Jewelry made from 1900 to 1976 by the Hopi,Zuni and Navajo tribes.I enjoyed the collection a great deal and wore it everyday for years.After 9/11 there was some rough times in the jewelry trade and I decided to go back to school...this decision dictated that i would have to start selling off the collection for tuition and living expenses...I only kept the pieces that were gift from family or friends.Anyway...after this trip back home I found that I really miss the collection and was told by the stores and galleries that examples like the pieces in my collection are no longer replaceable because of rarity.(some pieces have gone up 10 times in price) I know that I am lucky to have had the collection to trade for an education, but after the time and emotion it took to collect the pieces im sad its gone.Am I silly to be "mourning the loss"of possessions...can the forum relate to this feeling of loss?I figured if anyone would understand it would be the members of pricescope.Thanks for letting me vent.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Oh... *hugs*.. that is terribly sad & I feel really bad for you.

I know it''s all very zen not to be attached to ''stuff''... but I develop a real attachment to my possessions. I love having nice things, and I''m quite sentimental too. We can''t help the way we are. (Apparently it''s a Taurus thing). ;-)

I have a huge containerful of sterling silver jewellery I collected in my teens. I wouldn''t be seen dead in any of it now - but I can''t bring myself to part with it.

I can totally relate to your feeling of loss over your collection, particularly as it was something you built up yourself, over time. The fact that you put a lot of yourself into it, enjoyed it and wore the jewellery for so long means that it''s only natural to have developed an attachment to iit.

I sold some of my own possessions a few months back, and have a similar feeling of remorse for some of the things I sold - although nothing I parted with had anywhere near as much sentimental value to me as your collection did for you.

I know that you can never replace what you have lost, but as you still have the pieces that were given to you as gifts, perhaps you can use these to form the basis of a new collection. Maybe by scouring flea markets, garage sales, eBay and such like, you might be able to pick up the odd piece below its current market value.

Please accept my love and hugs... I really do feel for you.

x x x

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Hey jewelerman,
These items were possessions, sure, but they are also cultural relics, and artistic treasures.

We don''t live in tents...we don''t wear sheepskins... possessions matter! they illuminate our lives in lots of little ways - and not so little ways.

In many ways, owning that collection of yours was an education in itself, a little slice of history in all its aspects; also art, development of craft, and of culture. Also fashion, the history of adornment, familial ties and celebrations and so on.

These collectors items were also a major part of your self-identity (being jewellery, and so connected with your profession, and your professional interests)
So
don''t feel bad about letting these items go. You needed to sell, and you did.
You should concentrate on the good feelings you had when you were in proximity with the objects, and the thoughts and insights you had about their craftsmen, the culture surrounding their production, and their original owners.

Hmm, not sure if this is helpful. Philosophy can help with the pain of loss, perhaps?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
cleo
Date: 8/19/2008 3:46:22 AM
Author: LaraOnline
Hey jewelerman,
These items were possessions, sure, but they are also cultural relics, and artistic treasures.

We don''t live in tents...we don''t wear sheepskins... possessions matter! they illuminate our lives in lots of little ways - and not so little ways.

In many ways, owning that collection of yours was an education in itself, a little slice of history in all its aspects; also art, development of craft, and of culture. Also fashion, the history of adornment, familial ties and celebrations and so on.

These collectors items were also a major part of your self-identity (being jewellery, and so connected with your profession, and your professional interests)
So
don''t feel bad about letting these items go. You needed to sell, and you did.
You should concentrate on the good feelings you had when you were in proximity with the objects, and the thoughts and insights you had about their craftsmen, the culture surrounding their production, and their original owners.

Hmm, not sure if this is helpful. Philosophy can help with the pain of loss, perhaps?
cleo and lara,
thanks so much for the support and the insights....and yes its was helpful to know that others felt the same way about collecting jewelry as i do.When I have the time and the money I will start to build another collection...it will be harder this time with most of the good examples already in museams or private collections...and not to mention prices...items that I invested $60-125.00 in in the 1970s are now $300.00 to $2,000.00 because of rarity and cost of materials.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results