shape
carat
color
clarity

misshaping a ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it physically possible to bend or misshape a ring or move prongs when forcing a ring over a knuckle?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes with a very thin ring and or one that has been damaged.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t define these as either. I just sometimes have to force if I don''t have a puffs plus laying around to lube my finger up with on more swollen days. :)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can do bad damage to your finger if its too tight.
Is it that tight where it sits or just getting it over the knuckle?

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
I imagine it would take a good amount of force, more than it involved just forcing it over your knuckle.
I had a ring with a very thin gold shank, and I was opening a door with one of those lever type handles- the lever slipped into the ring, and almost tore it in two.
Try and put on your ring when your hand is wet.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Ame,

I have a lot of trouble with my hands swelling, especially in the summer. I try to avoid taking my rings off or putting them on during the time of day when my fingers are most swollen (which is first thing in the morning). I usually sleep with my rings on, so I don''t try and take them off or put them on until I''ve been up and about for an hour or so. By then my fingers are pretty much normal, and my rings come off and on with no problem. Otherwise, I have to soap them up or use lotion to get them on or off, which I hate to do because it gunks up my stones and I just have to clean them more. Once I tried having them sized a little bigger, but then they just spun around a lot, especially if my hands got cold. So I had them sized back to their original size, and I just learned to deal.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I only sleep in the plain band, and I don't bother to try to remove it till I have gotten to work and done some things. Even then I only remove it if Im working on something messy or rough on my hands in general or cutting things down with cutters/knives. A ring doesn't help me grip a sharp objecct most of the time. heh.
Date: 10/9/2005 8:49:06 PM
Author: strmrdr
you can do bad damage to your finger if its too tight.

Is it that tight where it sits or just getting it over the knuckle?
Just the knuckle. It's perfect, if not sometimes loose where they normally sit. All three rings are a pain over the knuckle and until Mara's knuckle shaving technique is available I can't do muchabout it. Besides the puffs plus thing. There's just times where I am pushing and I try to be so careful pushing that I don't do anything to it or push a prong or something.

I realize this is insane but I figured Id ask.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is the puff plus thing, I''m thinking tissue??
33.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like a job for Windex...(Remember the father-in-law from My big fat Greek Wedding, and it was the cure for everything!)

For some bizarre reason, it works very well for getting rings on and off! A jeweler given tip! Much better than cream etc, and doesn''t get your ring all icky!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I would think it would be highly unusual for a ring to be damaged this way. I think there''s a much greater chance that you will hurt your finger. When I had my rings soldered together, it was really difficult to get them on and off. I seriously had calouses on the sides of my knuckle. It hurt a lot. So, I wouldn''t worry about your ring. I ''d worry more about your poor knuckle! I second the Windex idea. That''s often what they use in jewelery stores to help people get rings on and off.

Shiny42805

Shiny_Rock
I have the seasonal problem - my ring is too big in the winter, and too tight in the summer. I had it made larger, and it spun like crazy. I had it sized DOWN, and now it''s snug putting it on in the morning, but it doesn''t spin! I think it''ll be tough to get it on when I''m wearing a wedding band as well...but hey, thats not for another couple years. (looooong engagement, grad school.)

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Boy I''m glad I''m not the only one that has problems with my rings going over my knuckle. I had my eternity band sized up a quarter of a size, and it just spins on my finger. But it''s still sometimes hard to get off over my knuckle! I didn''t have my e-ring sized up at all, and it''s even harder to get off, but it doesn''t spin as much. I wish rings would just fit perfectly. I have just gone a week without wearing my rings at all, and it''s driving me crazy! But I cut my knuckle when I was struggling to take off my e-ring, so I had to let it heal.

But anyway, to answer your question, I don''t think you can damage your rings this way. At least I hope not, because I think I''m in the same situation as you, forcing my rings on and off my finger! I''m more worried about doing damage to my finger than damaging the rings.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Coda my priorities aren''t quite right. :)

Date: 10/9/2005 10:41:15 PM
Author: kaleigh
What is the puff plus thing, I''m thinking tissue??
33.gif
Since they are lotioney kleenex, if you rub it on your finger it kind of lubes your finger up. I have done this for years.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
ame- have you ever thought about those shanks that split open so it goes over the knuckle easy? Don't know exactly what it's called... although if the puffs method works stick to it!

rockaholic

Rough_Rock
what a great thread! although I don''t have my e-ring yet, but when I was being sized for it I was told to have it very snug because the band of me e-ring is relatively thin... I tried it on the ring sizer when my hands were warm, and it fit just right, but after reading this thread, should I go for a size smaller? I have no problem getting pass the knuckle, but it definitely won''t hurt me to take it off either, does that mean it''s not tight enough? It sounds like many of you have it pretty tight...

~rockaholc~

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2005 9:34:35 AM
Author: moremoremore
ame- have you ever thought about those shanks that split open so it goes over the knuckle easy? Don''t know exactly what it''s called... although if the puffs method works stick to it!
My cousin and his wife have those and I personally don''t care for it, you can see the hinge. But since his knuckle is a size 15 ring (pins in his finger) and his ring is really a size 10...it''s warrented.

I think your ring will be find Rock. If it''s not, add sizing beads so you don''t have to mess with the ring.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
rockaholic, as long as the sizer was tight enough so that it was not sliding right off, you should have no problems with your rings. If it was sliding off too easily where you might lose your rings, then you should get a size smaller. Some of us just have bigger knuckles than our finger size really is. I think my finger is actually a 3.5, but I had to get my w-ring sized up to a 4.25 to get past my knuckle. My e-ring is still a 4, and it''s a real struggle unless I soap up my hand to get it off. But when the rings are on my finger, they tend to spin some. I wish my knuckle wasn''t bigger, but it is. I don''t want to size my rings anymore because they''ll spin even more on my finger.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results