shape
carat
color
clarity

Missed out on perfect stone - help find replacement!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
Having found what lots of people considered was the perfect stone for my needs/budget (see https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/comments-on-gia-0-71-j-si2.42129/ ) I discovered yesterday that - just as I was about to call the e-tailor to go ahead with the order - it had already been sold
39.gif

So the search for a replacement starts. I've upped the budget slightly but found what I consider is an equally good value stone. It's $500 more but is larger at 0.84ct (though a touch deeper too) and is SI1 rather than SI2. Color is the same. Only worry is a strong blue flourescence. I know medium flourescence is desirable in a J color stone but what are opinions on strong flourescence?

Anyhow, these are the GIA cert details:

Shape: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.01-6.04 x 3.74mm
Carat Weight 0.84 carat
Color Grade: J
Cut Grade: Very good
Clarity Characteristics: Feather
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Flourescance: Strong Blue

This is the diagram from the faxed certificate:

sl36mu.jpg

I've added the figures on again to make them a bit clearer. The last stone I looked at scored 0.9 on the HCA. Anyone know how this compares?

I'm also looking at two other stones so I'll paste those up when I get the copies of the certs.

Thanks in advance
5.gif

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
The first stone scores a 1.1 on the HCA. EXCELLENT light return, Scintillation and fire with VERY GOOD spread. Seems like it would be a nice stone but without knowing what they are charging you I have no idea if it''s a good deal or not. Good Luck!

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
Thanks - sounds like a good score. Price is around $1850. Any thoughts on the flourescence?

Thought I had this one sewn up until yesterday. Now it's more decisions, decisions, decisions
20.gif

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
I''m impartial to it. But at the J color range I''m sure it would help some, depending on the metal that it''s mounted in. The experts can chime in with some great info here. But for the most part, I feel that some flour. is nice to have once you get past the G/H range. If your setting is going to be yellow gold then it''s proable not a significant factor either way.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one looks even better than the first choice... For J color, fluorescence should be a good thing - making it look whiter in some lighting when the fluorescence is turned on.

My 2c

Sometimes it is said that fluorescence may make diamonds look hazy - but the examples are exceedingly rare. It would be very hard to find one if you wanted to. Sure enough, some folks win the lottery and some find hazy diamonds with 'over blue' fluorescence. If you get to see the diamond before it is set or trust the jeweler to reject the stone if it does show such an effect, the point is moot anyway.

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the advice. Full details on the setting are on my original post but here's a pic:

rud5yb.jpg

I'm inclined to go with the strong flourescence. From what other people have written, the bluish tint can look quite attractive with white gold.

This stone's really starting to grow on me. Just slightly concerned that it's a 'very good' cut rather than 'excellent' as the last one was. Then again, the HCA score is still pretty good...
40.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2006 5:41:06 PM
Author: thunkpad

This stone''s really starting to grow on me. Just slightly concerned that it''s a ''very good'' cut rather than ''excellent'' as the last one was.

There''s ton of posts about that one ... no worries (IMO).

Not sure how this works, but a long trail of excellent feedback on a stone might make it disappear too
10.gif

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 5:57:48 PM
Author: valeria101

There's ton of posts about that one ... no worries (IMO).

Not sure how this works, but a long trail of excellent feedback on a stone might make it disappear too
10.gif
Okay you've twisted my arm. I'm thinking the extra money is well worth it - getting me a bigger stone, staying in budget and still ticking all my 'excellent value' boxes.

Lucky for her the smaller one went eigh? Lucky for me she's worth it
2.gif

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/29/2006 4:14:16 PM
Author: klavigne
The first stone scores a 1.1 on the HCA. EXCELLENT light return, Scintillation and fire with VERY GOOD spread. Seems like it would be a nice stone but without knowing what they are charging you I have no idea if it's a good deal or not. Good Luck!
Just realised where everyone gets these HCA scores from! Didn't realise it was available on PS
4.gif

Good advice on there too - feeling better about the stone's cut now despite the 'VG' GIA rating

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
Well, I'm beginning to think I'm cursed. Just tried to order the .84 stone and gues what - it went yesterday. It's been up there for weeks and the day I decide to buy it, someone else gets the same idea
29.gif

Oh well, back to the drawing board
20.gif
Thanks for all the help anyway guys - at least I'm not being but off by strong flourescence anymore.

MissIndecisive

Shiny_Rock
Awww, you poor thing! That''s terrible luck!

Tut tut at the lurkers!!
29.gif
hehehehe
2.gif

Crossing my fingers for you that you find an even better stone again!

I like to think that things happen for a reason
1.gif

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to say that I love the setting!! I actually almost bought that one myself- I can''t remember the vendor''s name but I remember that it was a really good deal. I hope you find the right stone very soon!

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys. Hopefully there is a happy ending because I now finally have a stone! It's 71 pointer like the first but scores excellent for cut, polish and symmetry and as an extra bonus is VS2. It scores 1.4 on HCA and cost $1750 but displays good arrows and at least I know FOR SURE that it's eye clean
30.gif
. I get to see it on the 26th (two days before I propose!
32.gif
). Will post picks as soon as I can
1.gif

I really appreciate all the help from everybody and I owe a big thanks to kcoursolle who found the setting - a real gem if you ask me. Finding such a perfect ring off the shelf meant I could spend a lot more on the stone itself - nearly 20 points more than I originally had planned for the custom design I'd discussed.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Congrats thunkpad! It sounds like a beautiful stone! Don''t forget to post pics!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results