shape
carat
color
clarity

Minor changes to setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chicagogirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am having an issue with the prongs that my center stone is set in. I feel like they just make the entire setting look disconnetcted and not very fluid...they don''t look very delicate either really. I LOVE my ring, and everything else about it, it is just this one aspect that is driving me nuts (I think I always wanted it in a basket setting). I am dreaming of Leon''s baguette setting with claw prongs
30.gif
Any suggestions on minor, not very expensive changes that can be made to remedy the issue without changing the entire setting (don''t think fiance will be thrilled with that
2.gif
)?

rings 56763.jpg

chicagogirl

Shiny_Rock
side...it is not really crooked, just the angle of the picture.

rings 56764.jpg

chicagogirl

Shiny_Rock
top view

myec.01.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, that appears to be a peg head so it may not be very difficult to replace with something that has more fluid lines...if it can fit in that space. Have you talked to your jeweler about other heads that he might be able to fit in there?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that''s a very lovely classy setting for an emerald cut stone (which looks lovely, BTW). If you want to make any changes, the only thing I can think of is the head of the ring. Other than that, I can''t see what else can be changed.

chicagogirl

Shiny_Rock
I was thinking of replacing the head too. I haven''t spoken to a jewler, but the setting seems to have a fairly decent space for something else to fit in there. This isn''t a basket, but I think something like this is already an improvement (sorry, I don''t remeber who I stole this picture from, but the ring is beautiful). I feel so bad, because I really am in love with the ring, just this one aspect is driving me nuts!

Anyone know about how much it would cost to replace the head (or how risky it is for the stone)? The ring is set in platinum.

betterprongs.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably a couple hundred, depending on a few factors. When I changed the head on my solitaire from a 6 prong rb head to a 5 prong head for a pear, I think it was around $150? That was platinum, but it was also several years ago and the head was not stylized - it was just your standard head. So I'd budget a couple hundred perhaps?

As for the stone - make sure that puppy is insured, just in case...

chicagogirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! Good to know that it is not very much at all! Does anyone have any opinions on what type of head would look best (and is possible in this situation)? Or should I just stop obsessing and leave it alone? Ugh...I feel nuts sometimes
32.gif

Rachie

Shiny_Rock
I am currently in the same boat that you are. I really want to change the head of my setting b/c I think that my prongs are too big. I see them before my stone. My fiance thinks I am crazy, especially since I have only had it for almost two months.

I really like the head that you posted above for your setting. I have no idea if it is possible or how much it would cost, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I don''t have a lot of ideas...but I wanted to add that leon is not the only option for a gorgeous fluid claw prong setting: http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=263&rn=1104&action=show_detail

As far as quick changes that don''t involve a re-set, I would simply lower the setting and then round out the bar prongs so that they are not as big or squarish.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, I love your ring, but I understand your concerns and I agree with you. I would totally have that re-set into something a bit more fluid....that Knox setting is just beautiful!!!

If you really want to hold onto the original setting, I would have the stone lowered and the prongs remade to accomodate the new, lower head....That would already be a marked improvement!
2.gif

Good luck!
36.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to point out incase you hadn't thought about it, maybe you are/have, if you lower the head, because of the oblong shape of an emerald cut it may be hard to get a wedding band to fit close to the engagement ring unless you are going for a non straight band which curves around the emerald and may have to be custom fitted.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t do anything.... I mean, if you get to a point where you know 100% without a doubt exactly what you want to do then of course do what you think is best, but if you''re just having a restless moment I wouldn''t go on a fishing trip looking for more reasons not to be happy with what you have :) I think you''re looking for an integrated head and that would be a whole reset pretty sure.... it looks beautiful as is.

chicagogirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I don''t think I am ready to have the entire thing reset at this point. And while I am not totally happy with how high the stone sits, I did think about the wedding band issue. The good thing about this head is that a wedding band will pretty much sit flush with the ering. I think if maybe the stone was lowered a little and the prongs rounded out, I would be happier. The just look so square and bulky, and the setting itself is pretty delicate, so it doesn''t seem to mesh. Is just rounding out the prongs a little a and lowering the head a big job or is it relatively simplistic? Thanks again for all your comments!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results