shape
carat
color
clarity

Mine! Tourmalines.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I saw these yesterday for sale by Dana at mastercut, and finally admitted it. I like pears. A lot. And I want something green. Now, I''m going to have to see what I think of them in person. I am aware that they may be too dark for me, but there is a chance I might like them as I like kinda funkier colors.

I love the thought of earrings and a pendant with these and will probably go for a LOGR settings for them with halos.

Here are Dana''s pictures.

You can be honest... I know they aren''t perfect. But they might just be perfect for me.

22096.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Origin: Tanzanina
Weight: 3.64 tcw SALE PRICED
Size: 9x6mm 3 stones

22095LR.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The pair for the earrings.

What do you guys think?

Pretty good for 200 bucks?

22097.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I''ll say!

I think they look really nice!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Very nice. They will be a bit dark, but it doesn''t sound like you will spend a fortune setting them. It is about variety, and these will look great with a lot of outfits and in a lot of different lighting. As far as liking pears, you are preaching to the choir here.
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2010 5:09:24 PM
Author: Gypsy
The pair for the earrings.

What do you guys think?

Pretty good for 200 bucks?
If they're really the color depicted in the photo, I probably wouldn't pay more than $10 a piece for each one. They're very olive green. I know you wanted honest opinions, so I'm giving mine. I do not think they're a good color for green tourmaline. Sorry.

If you like the color, that's fine, but I think you overpaid big time on those.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I think I saw those on his site, and I remember being a little intrigued - I''m interested in seeing what they look like in person (well, at least your pics!). I''m actually a big fan of pears, and would love to add one to my collection! I can''t get FlyGirl''s pear pendant out of my head.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I''m interested to see what you do with them and what they look like in person!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great feedback! I can''t wait to see them in person. If they are the color I''m hoping they are... and I like them... I''ll probably set them in something like these, only as dangles. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260541423978&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT And maybe something like this as a matching ring (I think I decided on ring instead of pendant).

http://cgi.ebay.com/PEAR-7-9mm-SOLID-14k-WHITE-GOLD-DIAMOND-SEMI-MOUNT-RING_W0QQitemZ280454511078QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Wedding_Bands_with_Diamonds_Gemstones?hash=item414c6439e6 Ring setting.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bet the color is different than in the picture. I like the settings you linked as well!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I bought a green tourmaline from a store going out of business. It appeared very dark IRL but I could not return it. The setting was nice, though, and I planned to use it for another stone. Recently I took it out to try on my new CC garnet...and put back. It was dark, but very velvety. You know, how you look at some stones and feel like something lives in them (I am not hallucinating! - you just feel it with some stones, and don''t feel with others; I wonder if anyone else has the same feeling). So even if your tourmalines are on the darker side, they may still look beautiful, especially in the right setting.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I like the colour.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look a bit dark to me, but nice.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope they turn out better than the picture as well, but if they go black in certain lighting, or only sparkle in bright lighting, I would probably return them. Dana has a good return policy, so you can rest assured that if you don't like them, he'll take them back.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Green stones for some reason seem to be difficult to photograph on a digital camera. I would think the stones will be a more pleasing color and vivid in person. Green tends to loose saturation in the images, at least with the Nikon camera I use.

Sal from Cal

Rough_Rock
Trade
I agree with Gene as I just purchased a Chrome Tourmaline from him and while the picture he posted was lovely (that is wy we bought it
2.gif
) the gem is as he says much more vivid and more of a popping green in person. I hope that is the case in the ones you picked out.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn’t look that attractive in the pictures (darkish) but I’ve heard many complaints about how difficult it is to photograph greens. I don’t have that issue as badly as orange. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it’ll look at least 10x better in person and never feel bad about wanting to return anything that doesn’t appeal to your heart and eyes.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2010 11:16:25 AM
Author: PrecisionGem
Green stones for some reason seem to be difficult to photograph on a digital camera. I would think the stones will be a more pleasing color and vivid in person. Green tends to loose saturation in the images, at least with the Nikon camera I use.
I totally concur.

-A

gingersnap

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/26/2010 12:07:51 PM
Author: Arcadian

I totally concur.

-A
That''s because digital cameras are still cutting corners, unless you''ve got something *very* expensive to work with
3.gif

Has anyone tried taken film photos of green stones lately? I wonder if that would give you an accurate representation, or if green is just a shy colour.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Gene! That's what I am hoping! Dana is great and I've bought from him before and the communication is excellent. He says that they are on the dark side, but still vibrant and lovely, and they are pure chrome tourmalines and have a red flash... no olive at all (I didn't see any olive in the pics anyway). He's a great vendor who wants his stones to find a nice home, so I'm not at ALL concerned about getting them in and seeing them in real life and then having to return them if I'm not in love. There are at least 4 stone on his site I'm loving right now. As for photographing greens. I can't photograph colored stones very well either, but I'll try my best when I get them in.
35.gif

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I thought hard about these too for a similar project. I hope they are lovely in person and you enjoy them! I didn''t think they were olive either (didn''t seem to have a brown undertone) but who knows -- all our monitors show something different!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I think they would be too dark for me. I have found some of Dana''s stones to be lighter IRL than in his photos so they may be just right for you.

Hope you love them! I think your setting ideas sound lovely.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Nikon and cannot capture the blue color in my tsavorite that well, and it has a lot of blue. However, when I video it, the blue comes out. You should try videotaping some of your green gems for your website.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''ll see about the color, I thought they were very reasonable for the price since they are matched. Very exciting. I wear white gold most often, but these are crying out for yellow gold to me. Torn on the metal issue... but I''ll probably go for white.

Don''t know if I should do a pendant or a ring though with the third stone. Thoughts? I wear rings most often. But I think the blingtastic of it all would show up best with a pendant/earring set.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results