shape
carat
color
clarity

Mikimoto?

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I was gifted these but the clasp doesn’t look like Mikimoto’s I’ve seen. I was told they’re probably 40years old. Can anyone verify by looking at them? Curious as to value. They’re probably 6.5mm if I had to guess and maybe 20”. BBFC9ED0-6F9E-4BD4-90CE-A96256DB3C0F.jpeg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the tongue of the clasp marked BL and 585?

I found a similar necklace listed 3 years ago and the seller said BL stood for Blue Lagoon, one of Mikimoto's lesser brands.

I hunted further and found a thread discussing a necklace like this, on the other pearl forum. BWeaves said she had a necklace just like this and that it is Blue Lagoon.

Last edited:

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I will look as soon as I get back home!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
THANK YOU for posting this @lmyracle and the information @pearlsngems .

Back in the 1980s, I saw an 18" strand of "Mikimoto" pearls at Marshalls (the off-price department store). They were very inexpensive...around $300 (my now husband worked at the headquarters so got a discount). Recognizing the brand, but knowing nothing else (before the Internet :-o), I was excited at their affordability so he bought them for me as a total impulse buy.

I loved them so much that a couple of years later, when in Hong Kong on business, I bought a strand of loose matching akoyas that I had strung into varying length necklaces to have different lengths or layer. I wore them for years.

I go in phases with my jewelry and so they eventually sat in a box for decades. About 10 years ago, I took them back out and had them all restrung thinking they deserved some love. Realizing that true Mikimoto's wouldn't be sold at Marshalls, I looked at the markings. While I saw the clasp was 14kt, Mikimoto markings were missing on the original strand and while the pearls were nice, I realized they weren't the quality one expected of Mikimoto.

Until I saw this post, I assumed they were some knock off brand named to confuse or I imagined the whole Mikimoto thing .

Recognizing the clasp in the picture, I just looked amd sure enough, there is the BL marking next to 585! Mystery solved and while they are commoditized, I got my money's worth in enjoyment and feel better knowing my mind wasn't playing games :lol:

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
THANK YOU for posting this @lmyracle and the information @pearlsngems .

Back in the 1980s, I saw an 18" strand of "Mikimoto" pearls at Marshalls (the off-price department store). They were very inexpensive...around $300 (my now husband worked at the headquarters so got a discount). Recognizing the brand, but knowing nothing else (before the Internet :-o), I was excited at their affordability so he bought them for me as a total impulse buy.

I loved them so much that a couple of years later, when in Hong Kong on business, I bought a strand of loose matching akoyas that I had strung into varying length necklaces to have different lengths or layer. I wore them for years.

I go in phases with my jewelry and so they eventually sat in a box for decades. About 10 years ago, I took them back out and had them all restrung thinking they deserved some love. Realizing that true Mikimoto's wouldn't be sold at Marshalls, I looked at the markings. While I saw the clasp was 14kt, Mikimoto markings were missing on the original strand and while the pearls were nice, I realized they weren't the quality one expected of Mikimoto.

Until I saw this post, I assumed they were some knock off brand named to confuse or I imagined the whole Mikimoto thing .

Recognizing the clasp in the picture, I just looked amd sure enough, there is the BL marking next to 585! Mystery solved and while they are commoditized, I got my money's worth in enjoyment and feel better knowing my mind wasn't playing games :lol:

do we get a picture ???
;)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was gifted these but the clasp doesn’t look like Mikimoto’s I’ve seen. I was told they’re probably 40years old. Can anyone verify by looking at them? Curious as to value. They’re probably 6.5mm if I had to guess and maybe 20”. BBFC9ED0-6F9E-4BD4-90CE-A96256DB3C0F.jpeg

that's a really awsome gift
have you been wearing them ?

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Haha! Yes but I’m wearing my new Hanadama strand this evening!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results