shape
carat
color
clarity

midwest cities

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I understand leaving and coming back, but honestly, this is such a great time to buy a house! I mean a GREAT time.

We bought our first house in the real estate BOOM -- right before we got married...we will probably sell it for what we paid for it 10 years ago!!
39.gif

When we first got married we wanted to "fly the coop" too -- but, decided to stay and we traveled to Europe a few times, visited bigger cities for weekend get-a-ways (Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, Florida, California etc).

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 6:03:54 PM
Author: lovewhitediamonds
I understand leaving and coming back, but honestly, this is such a great time to buy a house! I mean a GREAT time.

We bought our first house in the real estate BOOM -- right before we got married...we will probably sell it for what we paid for it 10 years ago!!
39.gif

When we first got married we wanted to ''fly the coop'' too -- but, decided to stay and we traveled to Europe a few times, visited bigger cities for weekend get-a-ways (Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, Florida, California etc).

it''s soooo tempting to stay, but we have a lot of reasons for wanting to leave (most notably being that stefan has never lived away from his parents.....and needs to. desparately.) we want to get away and bond, and it''s not going to happen the way that we want to if every weekend we are visiting parents, etc. it will be a lot harder to leave once we have kids, and i really don''t want to stay in a fifty mile radius my whole life, ya know? i''ve been fortunate enough to have traveled a decent amount, but for us it''s no substitute for picking up and starting somewhere new together.

so quit enabling me!
3.gif
2.gif

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 5:34:22 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I lived in Madison for a while and loved it. I''m also a huge fan of the twin cities and Chicago if you like larger cities. If you want to keep it a little smaller Duluth is beautiful and Madison...but the winters are pretty rough in Duluth.

i''ve never been to the twin cities or duluth, but they are both on our list of places to consider. winter doesn''t scare us! what are they like? tell me what you can!!!

anniee19

Shiny_Rock
Grand Rapids is one of my favorite cities in Michigan (I think you mentioned it in the 1st post)! I''ve never lived there but I have many friends who do, and would never think about moving away. The downtown area is pretty nice and there are still many big development projects going on. I would love to be able to live so close to Lake Michigan (so many great little cities/towns along the coast) and especially closer to Grand Haven, one of my favorite places. I''ve traveled there quite a bit for my job and have been considering taking a position there, despite the commute! It would only be a couple hours drive from Detroit (I''m from the Lansing area), but far enough away also.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Hey I used to live in Wisconsin and you might want to check out Eau Claire/Menomonie area. Its about an hour from the Twin Cities and about 4 hours from Madison (straight down on I-94)....

Have you checked out Green Bay?? La Crosse??

What type of job sector are you looking at?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 9:26:54 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Date: 7/6/2008 11:08:10 PM

Author:mimzy

hi all!

my current obsession is researching places for stefan and i to look into moving to after i graduate next april. our #1 choice is madison, wi, but i want to come up with a few others as a back up, just in case i can''t find a job (that area is sort of super saturated with my profession).

i''ve take the findyourspot.com quiz like three separate times and the same places keep popping up - milwaukee, duluth, minneapolis/st. paul, grand rapids, ann arbor, madison, seattle, cincinnati, cleveland, etc. we''re looking for a decent sized city that is in the midwest that gets all four seasons and is within reasonable driving distance (i.e <9 hours) to detroit and has a reasonable cost of living.

so any suggestions? any opinions on places named? anything at all?

I looove driving into Milwaukee. Looking across the city are dozens of amazing church steeples. I wouldn''t live there, Madison is lovely.. and.. I believe the state fair is held there? I have know a gal who is an anchor there and loves it. I lived in the PNW most of my life.. and.. while it IS beautiful, I left because of the amount of rain. There was no more beautiful view than the Olympic mountains at sunset. I had an incredible view from my living room.

State fair is in Milwaukee unfortunately. Wish it were here!

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 9:09:45 PM
Author: anniee19
Grand Rapids is one of my favorite cities in Michigan (I think you mentioned it in the 1st post)! I''ve never lived there but I have many friends who do, and would never think about moving away. The downtown area is pretty nice and there are still many big development projects going on. I would love to be able to live so close to Lake Michigan (so many great little cities/towns along the coast) and especially closer to Grand Haven, one of my favorite places. I''ve traveled there quite a bit for my job and have been considering taking a position there, despite the commute! It would only be a couple hours drive from Detroit (I''m from the Lansing area), but far enough away also.

one of my stepbrothers lived outside grand rapids and loved it, and it would be nice being closer to the west coast. my (internal) plan is to probably/hopefully settle down in that area provided that stefan and i could both get jobs (i could, not sure about him (software engineer)) and that part of our families are still here. but that wouldn''t be for a few more years still...after our ''big move'' (we''d likely move back). it''s always good to hear some place is recommended!

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 9:41:56 PM
Author: ~*Alexis*~
Hey I used to live in Wisconsin and you might want to check out Eau Claire/Menomonie area. Its about an hour from the Twin Cities and about 4 hours from Madison (straight down on I-94)....

Have you checked out Green Bay?? La Crosse??

What type of job sector are you looking at?

i have yet to *really* check out green bay, la crosse or eau claire. i really don''t know anything about the areas....how big are they? are they university towns? i''m in speech pathology and stefan is a software engineer, so we need hospitals and, well, engineering firms.

SDL i''ve never been to the pacific northwest, but i know that stefan loves it out there. for now we want to stay in the midwest so we can drive home for holidays and so that we don''t run the risk of not having snow (i''ve heard you have to be pretty far inland to get any?) it''s definitely on the list of places to visit though!

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Green Bay, La Crosse, Menomonie and Eau Claire all have large universities there.

UW-Stout (menomonie) has a great engineering program and is one of the top in the midwest. Eau Claire is a half hour away or so and has a great program for Speech Pathology. You can go to different schools and excel at the top of your class.

They all have great transfer options for other MBA and PhD Programs and are extremely competitive.

Plus you are close enough to a major airport (MPS) and the Mall Of America..
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 10:57:37 PM
Author: ~*Alexis*~
Green Bay, La Crosse, Menomonie and Eau Claire all have large universities there.

UW-Stout (menomonie) has a great engineering program and is one of the top in the midwest. Eau Claire is a half hour away or so and has a great program for Speech Pathology. You can go to different schools and excel at the top of your class.

They all have great transfer options for other MBA and PhD Programs and are extremely competitive.

Plus you are close enough to a major airport (MPS) and the Mall Of America..
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

thanks for the info! we''ll both be done with school for a while (i''m finishing up my masters in slp right now - two semesters left!) and he''s not sure if he''s going to go back for his masters or not. i just asked because college towns usually have a little more going on than others, even if they are small.

how big is green bay? what other places is it comparable to?

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 11:43:19 PM
Date: 7/7/2008 10:01:11 PM

Author: neatfreak

Date: 7/7/2008 9:26:54 PM

I looove driving into Milwaukee. Looking across the city are dozens of amazing church steeples. I wouldn''t live there, Madison is lovely.. and.. I believe the state fair is held there? I have know a gal who is an anchor there and loves it. I lived in the PNW most of my life.. and.. while it IS beautiful, I left because of the amount of rain. There was no more beautiful view than the Olympic mountains at sunset. I had an incredible view from my living room.

State fair is in Milwaukee unfortunately. Wish it were here!

I couldn''t remember. We only went once.
7.gif
I love the dairylands.. and driving up through the Dells.. to he**.. (otherwise known as Nekoosa)..
20.gif

The Dells are fun and we always have something to do in the summers!! The frozen tundra is about right!!!

Green Bay is clear across the state from Eau Claire (its about 96,000 people) Green Bay is about 60,000 or so...

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
what about Cleveland?
I have a friend there that loves it. Still close enough to drive home for the holidays, yet far enough away...

aliciagirl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/8/2008 11:20:51 PM
Author: lovewhitediamonds
what about Cleveland?

I have a friend there that loves it. Still close enough to drive home for the holidays, yet far enough away...

I''m going to second Cleveland, as well. SO went to university there and currently lives there. I''m planning to move in in Sept. He''s an engineer (mechanical) and works for a firm in Richfield (which is a little suburb about 20 minutes away.) There are definitely a lot of hospitals and most of the engineers he went to school with had no trouble finding a job in the area. I''m actually a pharmacy student and when I had to pick hospitals for my rotations, it was hard! There are just so many.

We live on the edge of an area of town called Tremont. It''s very artsy with lots of galleries and amazing restaurants and cute townhouses. Ohio City is also a happening part of town. We know quite a bit about Cleveland so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. We live on the west side because of SO''s commute to work but the east side has some lovely lake-y communities that you would probably enjoy.

It gets a bad rep, but I really enjoy being there and can''t wait to move.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
cleveland was on our list too! we''ve been a couple times, but didn''t get a great chance to really explore very much. i''ll see if i can convince stefan to take a trip down there to look around a bit more. that''s good to know about the job market. if we do i''ll definitely ask for suggestions of places to go!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Green Bay is about 100k people + the suburb areas ( De Pere, Ashwaubenon, Howard, etc) I work in Green Bay and LOVE it! I used to live in De Pere, but moved last year towards Appleton (about 20 miles south of GB). Appleton is also a very nice city, though there is no university there. If your thinking Madison vs. Milwaukee, I would choose Madison hands down. The 2 cities just have a totally differnt vibe from one another, and Madison just has a lot of life, and is much cleaner imo....I lived just outside of Mad-town for about 4 years, and really enjoyed my time there. Madison is busier that GB and is much more spread out, about double the population. GB still kinda has that "smaller town feel" at least to me, in comparison to other midwest cities of a similar size, but it still has a lot to offer. Also, housing is a bit cheaper in GB than Madison.

Oh, and also Lincoln Nebraska. I was there to visit relatives a couple times, and just really felt comfortable with the city. Also, very good university

ash313

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I know you''ve said you''ve lived in Detroit before, but....wanted to toss that into the mix again!

I live near downtown with my SO, and we LOVE it! Walking distance to all kinds of fun things, including three professional sports teams! Great restaurants/bars, beautiful and romantic riverwalk, awesome festivals all year long, suburbs are nice if you want a house, etc.

Anyway, Detroit could really use young, talented people, and I always encourage people to forget what you''ve heard and try it out again - it''s the next cool city! Big but not huge, etc.

Sure, some days it''s frustrating to live in this city, but I love it all the more for its grit and flaws.

Plus, bonus! It''s really cheap!

Good luck!

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 11:08:55 AM
Author: indypitty

Date: 7/7/2008 8:11:06 AM
Author: Independent Gal
No offense to anyone who lives in Indianapolis, but it''s kind of, uh, horribly dull and urban sprawl-ish isn''t it?

Chicago is a wonderful, wonderful city, as is Minneapolis. Never been to Madison but everyone seems to love it there!
No offense taken...
26.gif

I live just north of Indianapolis right now, and while it is obviously not the most exciting city in the midwest, I would not call it horribly dull by any means.

It totally depends on what you''re looking for. It was just number 1 on this Forbes list as the best place to raise a family.
I currently live right in the middle of downtown Indianapolis and I love it. It used to not be the best place but they have undergone an amazing renovation and it''s much nicer now. There are also a lot of very nice suburbs on the outskirts of the city (i.e. Carmel, Fishers). I don''t find it that dull, with the new Lucas Oil Stadium going up and Colts season just around the corner! There''s also many venues where bands/shows come and because there are so many universities in the area there are a lot of young people out and about at all times, but mainly graduate students who like to party but act like they''ve done it before.
1.gif
It''s also not far from Chicago or Cincinatti or Louisville or Michigan...kinda just in the middle of it all. I just did a quick search on Careerbuilder for speech pathologist in Indianapolis and many openings came up as well. Anyways, I hope you and your FI find the perfect fit!

snogirl17

Shiny_Rock
I love Madison, it is full of culture and you have St. Street.. enough said.

I live in about an hour North of Milwaukee and Milwaukee is ok.... it has some great theaters and other events hosted down there like Summerfest, which if you are not familar with is a HUGE week long music festival. I wouldnt live in Milwaukee, but the towns outside of it like West Bend, Jackson, Germantown are nice becuase they are close to Milwaukee like a 10-20 min drive but far enough away from the hullaballo.

Greenbay is a growing city, however i dont know much about it as i have only visited it when some friends were going to college there.

Eau Claire is beautiful and is a modest college town.

I think Minnesota would be a great place too! My friend that lived in Hawaii just moved back stateside and is living in Minnesota and really likes it so far.. hopefully she hasnt forgotten what our winters can be... but i love winter so it doesnt bother me much... Hudson would also be another city to check out, although i hear it is quite pricey being on the Mississippi river.

Wisconsin all in all is a beautiful state with great people.... Come to Wisco!

galleygal

Shiny_Rock
Green Bay is o.k. Not too much to do there though. I woud have to say Milwaukee has tons of things to do in the summer. Every Thursday they have "Jazz in the Park." People bring blankets, cheese, wine, beer or whatever and listen to Jazz. Summerfest is there, there are plenty of jobs, and plenty of rest. if you enjoy eating out. Twin cities is a nice place with lots to do, lots of shopping, nightlife, and plenty of jobs. I''ve lived in all three places. Madison wouldn''t be a bad choice either.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/10/2008 2:44:05 PM
Author: leeNY
Ok, I know you''ve said you''ve lived in Detroit before, but....wanted to toss that into the mix again!

I live near downtown with my SO, and we LOVE it! Walking distance to all kinds of fun things, including three professional sports teams! Great restaurants/bars, beautiful and romantic riverwalk, awesome festivals all year long, suburbs are nice if you want a house, etc.

Anyway, Detroit could really use young, talented people, and I always encourage people to forget what you''ve heard and try it out again - it''s the next cool city! Big but not huge, etc.

Sure, some days it''s frustrating to live in this city, but I love it all the more for its grit and flaws.
Plus, bonus! It''s really cheap!
Good luck!

thanks leeny, i''m all about the detroit love! but that''s where i am right now
9.gif
(actually just south at the moment, and i''ve lived in the metro area just about my whole life). i''m in grad school at wayne state, so i am definitely getting my fill haha. we plan to move back eventually because i do like the area and i have a mental block about abandoning the area, but we do want to get away for awhile. where do you live?

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
indygirl, beanie, gallerygirl and joflier - thanks for all your input! this is what i need! i think that we''re going to do a little road trip and check out all these wisconsin towns. we''ll both be out of school so we don''t *need* a university, it just seems that most of the really nice towns happen to have one
3.gif
(and no we aren''t college partiers or anything like that!). i appreciate all your responses, big time!
9.gif

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
I love Indianapolis! It is the perfect sized city (for me at least). It is still small enough that we don''t have a TON of traffic and have a great neighborhood feel (especially in Broad Ripple where Butler University is located, great old neighborhood with charm). however, it is still a city that has done some amazing stuff in the past few years. There is always something to do and explore, and I''m always hearing of something new. It also is not far from Cincy, Louisville, Chicago, or Columbus (and even Brown County if you''re into hiking)! I would take a road trip and come check it out for yourself!
1.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t read ANY of the other responses, but I am putting my vote in for Ann Arbor!

I live here, and it''s amazing. There''s culture, tons of restaurants, cool bars. Lots of parks, and people love their animals out here! There''s always something to do. It''s very safe, and the neighborhoods have so much character.

It''s a very liberal and socially aware town, so if you''re not sporting an Obama 08 or Impeach Bush bumper sticker, you might stick out a bit. : )

But if that''s you, you may want to check it out. It''s a great town.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted for A2 too! Don''t forget it has Zingerman''s Deli and Roadhouse.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 10:45:20 AM
Author: Harriet
I voted for A2 too! Don''t forget it has Zingerman''s Deli and Roadhouse.
Zingerman''s Roadhouse has the best damn macaroni and cheese I''ve ever had in my life.

Too bad Zingerman''s also costs you an arm and a leg...

WORTH IT!
3.gif

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 10:40:21 AM
Author: elledizzy5
I haven''t read ANY of the other responses, but I am putting my vote in for Ann Arbor!

I live here, and it''s amazing. There''s culture, tons of restaurants, cool bars. Lots of parks, and people love their animals out here! There''s always something to do. It''s very safe, and the neighborhoods have so much character.

It''s a very liberal and socially aware town, so if you''re not sporting an Obama 08 or Impeach Bush bumper sticker, you might stick out a bit. : )

thanks for the suggestion! i actually have lived in ann arbor and ypsi before (i know, two different worlds) and it''s not for me. i like the town itself, but the majority of the people that i know from their are very arrogant *because* they are from ann arbor (mostly self righteous about being more enlightened about, well, everything than everyone else). it''s really expensive to live downtown and too sprawly on the outskirts for us. plus it''s not far from where we are right now (about 45 minutes and we go there pretty often) and we really want to get outta here!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 11:45:26 AM
Author: mimzy

Date: 7/11/2008 10:40:21 AM

thanks for the suggestion! i actually have lived in ann arbor and ypsi before (i know, two different worlds) and it''s not for me. i like the town itself, but the majority of the people that i know from their are very arrogant *because* they are from ann arbor (mostly self righteous about being more enlightened about, well, everything than everyone else). it''s really expensive to live downtown and too sprawly on the outskirts for us. plus it''s not far from where we are right now (about 45 minutes and we go there pretty often) and we really want to get outta here!
Haha, yeah I know what you''re talking about with the Ann Arbor natives. I get that feeling sometimes, also. I''m not from there originally (Grew up in West Bloomfield), so I don''t have the A2 arrogance thing.

Good Luck finding something that suits you! I have relatives in Cincinnati, and I think that''s a great town as well. No A2 sass.
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I forgot about the A2 arrogance. I was at Borders when an Ann Arborite came in pitching a fit because they had moved the ''local authors'' section to the back.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 12:20:36 PM
I forgot about the A2 arrogance. I was at Borders when an Ann Arborite came in pitching a fit because they had moved the ''local authors'' section to the back.

LOL. That does NOT surprise me in the least bit.
20.gif

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 12:21:41 PM
Date: 7/11/2008 12:20:36 PM

I forgot about the A2 arrogance. I was at Borders when an Ann Arborite came in pitching a fit because they had moved the 'local authors' section to the back.

LOL. That does NOT surprise me in the least bit.
20.gif

yeah...i really can't stand ann arbor because of the elitist mentality. but that's a rant that has no place here!
but yes, i'd rather not be where Whole Foods is a religion.
20.gif

elledizzy-i grew up in northville!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results