shape
carat
color
clarity

Mid Century Modern - Contemporary Hand Carved Shell Cameos

c langston

Shiny_Rock
It's been a while since I stopped in here, but my newest obsession seems to bring me back to this great place where I can learn more about "hand carved cameo's" that are not antique but possibly vintage. Most of all I'm trying to scurry as fast as possible along the learning curve, knowing just how subjective 'good' is when you make a personal connection with a cameo or (now :love: ) cameos. Like an original canvas painting that you connect with, even if it is a signed original that does not mean it holds any value other than the fact "I" love it. But I do want to learn more, I want to see more, I want to find good sources for custom frames (odd shape or size cameos), I would love to know what the makers marks are on the backs (vs a real signature).

There are more modern artists all over the world that are making BEAUTIFUL custom pieces, signed with pride on the back.

I welcome all photo's, all comments, lessons, observations, and even though my personal interest is in more modern pieces I will happily learn from all era's, styles, stone, lava, shell, coral, etc. as long as they are custom works that are well loved, I will love to look at them. TEACH me something that will make me a better buyer, teach me something that will make me a better collector.

Thank you in advance I hope there are others out there like me that are now in love with this new/old art. I can tell you that it was my love of dark diamonds that originally brought me here, no body else knew, cared or liked them.....ahhh but I found out I was not alone in my passion for a "nice" M-or darker or fancy color natural diamond. So I'm back seeking your help, those pushing resin need not apply.

Tell me something I did not know, PLEASE!

c

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Mid Century Modern - Contemporary Hand Carved Shell Came

I adore cameos. I only have two, handmade contemporary pieces. They do have a stamp on the back-a maker's mark in the gold.

Mine are both blue agate and onyx in 18k yellow gold. To me, they are the most beautiful things in the world. One was an anniversary gift from my husband, one a birthday gift from my mother. Both made in Italy.

I don't really know anything about cameo's other than when I saw mine I fell in love.

c langston

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for your reply mrs. taylor, it's nice to know there are others like me here. I saw the photo of your anniversary blue agate Italian pendant cameo...it's beautiful.

Up until recently I had seen many cameo's but had never 'connected' with them, I suppose they represented something or someone more *cough * mature!? While looking for traditional/classic ones to start picking up (antique, vintage, hand carved Sardonyx and Carnelian shell, mostly Italian), I realized how many BEAUTIFUL modern pieces are available. Finding artists/carvers, the new subject matter, different shapes not just ovals, **newer creative frames/settings with mixed stones (especially interested in these), and just a whole new interest in cameos in general. The older classic (gods, mythology, ideal beauty, actual people) cameo's, the beautiful gold and silver frames/setting, loved and worn for years are beautiful, but the new stuff takes my breath away I just can't get enough.

Fingers crossed that there will be a whole new trend so I can see even more. Open those old jewelry boxes and show me your cameos.

Thanks

c

c langston

Shiny_Rock

This is an example of what sends my heart into sprint mode. The cameo itself is beautiful, but the unique setting and the enhancements take it to a whole new level. Would I actually wear this, you bet I would!

dream_cameo_a.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

wow, i don't even like cameos and i'd wear that one! its very very lovely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results