shape
carat
color
clarity

Microwave, do you live without one or an alternative?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The handle broke off of our microwave a month or so ago and this morning we took it down. We have an over the range microwave but I’m considering not replacing it. It’s a bit of a leap because I’ve had one since I was a kid in the 80’s.

DH is very hesitant to go without one so do any of you live without one OR have an alternative? Since we had to replace it, I figured now would be a good time to look into all the options.

We use it mainly for reheating liquids, melting butter for baking not really for reheating food.

TIA!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't like to be without one, because they are so useful in a pinch. I use mine quite a lot. I heat up cups of tea that have gone cold, I steam vegetables in it (because otherwise I have too many pans on the stove), I defrost meat in it, and I defrost and/or reheat leftovers in it. I also cook oatmeal in it. It's so quick compared to stovetop cooking! And I do feel that it saves me from using so many pans. Better to cook frozen peas and fresh carrot quickly together in a small glass bowl than use another one or two pans.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH and I never used microwaves at a matter of personal preference, but since my mom has lived with us I do use it as she likes certain foods/meals/beverages prepared a certain specific way using the microwave.

If I had my own kitchen, built for my purpose, I would not include a microwave or a dishwasher (I don't use dishwashers either).

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I couldn’t live without mine. My husband gets home late from work. We can’t wait for him...especially with my elderly mom. She sometimes is asleep when he walks in the door. I steam my veggies...heat up my dog’s food...reheat whatever has gone cold while I’m running around...

AuntKiki

Shiny_Rock
I have a tiny one in a cabinet for the rare occasion we need it. I like to keep appliances off the counter but since I hardly use it I couldn't justify a built in microwave when we remodeled the kitchen. I think it was $60.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never had a microwave on its own, always a combination one.

I do not use the microwave function to cook except for vegetables.

I use the defrost and reheat functions mostly as I cook in bulk and freeze what I do not eat in tubs.

I use the conventional heating and grilling functions a lot instead of my main oven when cooking just for myself.

DK :))

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I would hate to give up the convenience of being able to cook, heat and thaw in a fraction of the time those things take otherwise. I'd rather give up every other kitchen appliance besides the fridge/freezer than give up my microwave.

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
I didn’t have one for years and didn’t miss it. You probably just use pots more and need to plan ahead for things such as defrosting.

If you’ve been fine for the past month, then you probably won’t miss it. On a side note, is it impossible to repair the handle? Shame to bin the whole appliance just because of the handle.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a large Combination Oven, which we use mostly for that facility, but having the microwave option does come in handy for reheating food. I don't think I could be without one? Often our main oven can be full (in normal times we entertain a lot) so it's handy for extra cooking.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
We need one - we're on the go sometimes and I like it for cooking/reheating.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
We have rental houses and our tenants manage to break microwave, regular oven and refrigerator handles on a regular basis.
I second simply getting a replacement handle (check eBay and Amazon for parts)---google the make/model # and head to YouTube University.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
If you don't use it for leftovers or thawing things, then you could probably live without it.
You would just have to use a pot/pan to melt butter or heat liquids.
For my purposes, I would get a little toaster oven for heating leftovers instead of heating up the big oven.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your responses, for some reason I thought there would be more folks who didn’t have or use one regularly.

Hmm so that makes me think that I might be underestimating how much we use ours.

@MsShnooks, the microwave is about 15 years old and unfortunately the handle is not repairable, we’ve been opening it from the bottom just to get by. The inside coating is also chipping.

We went out and looked today but there are so many options, a bit overwhelming and we’re not in a rush.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your responses, for some reason I thought there would be more folks who didn’t have or use one regularly.

Hmm so that makes me think that I might be underestimating how much we use ours.

@MsShnooks, the microwave is about 15 years old and unfortunately the handle is not repairable, we’ve been opening it from the bottom just to get by. The inside coating is also chipping.

We went out and looked today but there are so many options, a bit overwhelming and we’re not in a rush.

Check Amazon!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
No way would i never go back to peas and corn (my favourite veg) boiled to death on the stove top like when i was small

my mum really embraced microwave cooking but veg are the best !

A few years ago we had boiled to death corn on the cobb at SILs
Yuck
tasted like corn water
I was shocked she still boiled veg
(i do still boil souds on the stove)

Ive learnt to make Gary's curry gravy in the microwave
and i precook lentils in beef stock in there when im making mince dishes

Great for defrosting frozen chickens and defrosting frozen meals when i squiral away extra portions

I find food don't always reheat evenly - have to plate stuff up with nothing in the centre

when we moved we went a week without a microwave
as along with our bed we threw out the old one (about 5 years old) when we shifted not realizing the shop didn't deliver every day
it was harder to go without a microwave than without a bed to sleep on

I need a new microwave now
it has a crack inside

they don't seem to last or have as much juice as our old one that lasted 15- 20 years
Ours is only 3 years old and wasn't a cheapie

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gordon Ramsay is always throwing Chef Mike out of restaurants
Took me ages to realize Chef Mike was the microwave

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since the instapot I haven't used my microwave at all. I would not miss it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AprilBaby, I actually got an Instapot months ago but I’m intimidated by it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love our microwave and use it at least twice a day. No suitable alternative for me. Greg uses it probably every other day.

Greg loves the Instapot. He says it’s easy to use. Don’t be intimidated @YadaYadaYada :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada I just broke our coffee carafe an hour ago. For the first time I ordered using Shipt and it just arrived a minute ago. Less than an hour from ordering it was delivered. Wow.

I bet you can get a microwave easily.
We are living in a modern world. I can’t believe how easy it is to get something fast.

3644E534-CA63-4C30-8DD0-646AC1583181.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, wow that is fast shipping! We were already at the store today so I figured I would just go look at the microwaves but it was all too much! I’m going to have to get brave with the Instapot, it’s silly really but I feel like I need a whole day to get acquainted with it.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I love my microwave. And with my 2 teens and a young adult in the house, it is used many many times per day. I don't have a built in one. Just a cheapie small one I bought on Amazon. I think I paid around $99 for it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My Mother eschewed microwaves and still does. But that didn't influence me! :P2 They come in handy--and really is the best way to melt chocolate!

My DH doesn't cook. He needs a microwave to survive--when I am not home to serve him.:rolleyes:

cheers--Sharon

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We moved ours to storage in the basement about two years ago. We realized that we used it only to reheat food or melt butter doe popcorn (I use a hot air popper ; I love popcorn and much prefer the texture of air popped). Anyway, we haven’t wished for it once. We warm up leftovers in the oven or on the stove and I melt butter for popcorn on the stove. We don’t miss the microwave at all.

Reactions: BMI
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results