shape
carat
color
clarity

Microdermabrasion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Ok I have a question... I am going to a family party and want to look the best I can. I have heard about those microdermabrasion kits you buy at department stores. Do they really work and if any of you have tried them can you recommend a brand. Thanks
33.gif

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Also what is a good foundation? I have been looking into Bare Minerals as a foundation. I''m a very basic girl and actually don''t use any makeup most the time. Please help I really want to look good for the party!!

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Angel!

Well I have tried both OTC microderm kits and had the real thing done several times at my derm''s office. Truth be told, I really got more compliments on my skin ("Have you done something different? Your skin looks glowing!") when I used the OTC kit! LOL I''ve tried Neutrogena''s at home kit and also Loreal refinish. I like the results better with the refinish kit. The neutrogena kit has a nice application tool that gives a more even, evenly pressured application but I couldnt get the pressure I wanted around and on my nose with it, and the little crystals always got in my eyes with that kit. (PS I got the compliments, three in one day actually, the day after I used the Loreal kit). With any though right away your skin will be pink and glowing and really look smooth. Try it out before the party so you know how your skin reacts to it, and then I''d suggest using it the morning of, or the day before your party, than right before you go out.

I have been toying with the idea of trying bare minerals when I run out of my current foundation. I have heard great things about it. Im currently using Mary Kay and have been for years. I like it, just am always looking for my holy grail beauty products. I like the Timewise foundation because its like a lotion almost and gives great coverage.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I can only comment on foundations...I use Bare Minerals. It is nice, but I wouldn''t say it lives up to all those claims in the commercials. But I love using all powder and no liquid foundations. It is definitely better for me than what is available in most drugstores. I have tried MAC, but the foundation and powder always seemed to "gunk up" on my face by the end of the day. Definitely not flattering.

Hope that helps
1.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I get microdermbrasion done. In my opinion OTC kits are not the same as real micro. You might as well just use a face scrub which is cheaper rather than buying those expensive kits. After my micro treatments my skin is super soft and more even textured. For good results you need to do more than one treatment though and they are not cheap. I get them done once a month for maintenance. Try it once and see how you like it
1.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s my take on Bare Minerals:

I saw the commercials and was able to go play and try it on the other day at Sephora. Here''s what I don''t like about it. It''s way too messy for me!! The powder goes everrrywhere. Also, when I tried it on I tried it over my Clinque foundation and I went to the movies in about 3-4 hours it was basically all gone.

Rascal: I too have tried Mac foundation I agree it gunks up
14.gif
. I love Clinque foundation and moisturizer its so light and doesn''t even feel like its on me. It''s the only foundation I will use. I also have Mac''s bronzing powder and their Silver Dusk powder which IMO gives me the same look as Bare Minerals but lasts longer and feels just as light.

Btw I love Loreal''s OTC kit!

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Well I went on Sephora.com and bought a few Bare minerals products. I cant wait to try the Loreal''s kit Yeah!! Now I just have to pick out an outfit.
20.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Can''t help you with the dermabrasion but if you''re not into makeup I have to say that Almay Sports Formula Moisture Tint is just fabulous. it''s like not wearing anything. It has sheer coverage but enough if you need to pat a particular area. I''ve used expensive brands and they suck b/c you always look like you have makeup on...it sticks in the cracks...makes dry areas looks worse, etc. Yick.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
For home, I use Philosophy Microdelivery Peel kit. . .

Here''s a quick description: "A complete skin makeover, the Microdelivery Peel Kit not only exfoliates the skin, it delivers vitamin C and peptides to the skin. This completely new approach to skin rejuvenation resurfaces and replenishes the skin at the same time."

I''ve been using this for two or three weeks, and my skin appears to glow more and my face is more smooth. I think that using a home kit along with a salon visit would make for the best results!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been using the Olay Regenerist Microdermabrasion & Peel System and really like it - I prefer it over the Loreal Microderm stuff & feel like my skin is soooo much softer & smoother w/ the Olay stuff. I''ve heard some comments saying that the Olay system is very comparable in quality & results to the Philosophy microderm products. I can''t say b/c I haven''t tried Philosphy''s, but I do think the Olay is superior to the Loreal. And I haven''t microderm done in-office but I can say that the OTC kits are not the same thing as a face scrub - AT ALL!!! When I use the microderm kits and I begin to rinse my face I feel almost as though I must have some soap or lotion on my skin because it is sooooooo amazingly smooth - I certainly don''t get those kinds of results from a scrub.

As for Bare Minerals.... I use it most of the time for my foundation. I like it pretty well but I agree with Rascal that it is not the "be all end all" of makeup/foundation. I too am still in search of the perfect foundation for my weird-a$$ skin/complexion. I do concede though that the Bare Minerals stuff beats most everything else I''ve tried recently & blends a lot nice on my skin so I will probably continue using it - but I have some huge pores on my cheeks and it doesn''t really camouflage them at all.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
OTC kits are exactly what I said which are scrubs. For the heck of it why don't you check out http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/22/earlyshow/living/beauty/main790105.shtml or www.paulaschoice.com and type microdermabrasion in a search & read some reviews of at home "microdermabrasion" products. Better yet, talk to a dermatologist and see what they think of OTC kits. Microdermabrasion is a procedure that involves the skin being "sandblasted" by aluminum oxide crystals and then vacuumed up to remove the top layer of the skin; dead skin cells. And to promote the production of new cells in the basal (deepest) layer of the dermis. It can clean your pores incredibly and hinder any future breaks outs if used on a regular basis. Microdermabrasion also stimulates collagen net working to further even out skin texture and appearance. Hey, if you like OTC kits & get the results you are looking for, Great!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2006 7:00:23 PM
Author: VegasAngel
OTC kits are exactly what I said which are scrubs. For the heck of it why don''t you check out http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/22/earlyshow/living/beauty/main790105.shtml or www.paulaschoice.com and type microdermabrasion in a search & read some reviews of at home ''microdermabrasion'' products. Better yet, talk to a dermatologist and see what they think of OTC kits. Microdermabrasion is a procedure that involves the skin being ''sandblasted'' by aluminum oxide crystals and then vacuumed up to remove the top layer of the skin; dead skin cells. And to promote the production of new cells in the basal (deepest) layer of the dermis. It can clean your pores incredibly and hinder any future breaks outs if used on a regular basis. Microdermabrasion also stimulates collagen net working to further even out skin texture and appearance. Hey, if you like OTC kits & get the results you are looking for, Great!
FWIW, I definetly CAN tell the difference between face scrubs and microdermabrasion. Face scrubs make my face feel clean and fresh, but don''t get rid of bumps or leave my face softer to the same degree microdermabrasion does. Since using the Philosophy microdelivery system, my skin has started glowing!

I''d imagine that the professional microdermabrasion is an impressive step up from OTC microdermabrasion as OTC microderbrasion is to regular face scrubs.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I can''t comment on the micro dermabrasion kits but I love the Bare Minerals make-up. After years of trying nearly everything on the market the Bare Minerals in the only foundation that lasts all day, doesn''t gunk up and has actually improved my skin. I have acne & rosacea and all the other foundations (Clinique, L''Oreal, Lancome, Estee, Laura Mercier etc.) seemed to aggravate my skin. The Bare Minerals powder doesn''t fly everywhere if you use less. I think it''s a whole lot neater than anything liquid. I like the fact that my skin doesn''t feel like I have make-up on but still looks smooth and radiant.

One of the best ways to try Bare Minerals is on ebay. You can get sample sizes of the foundation cheap. Just make sure you get a kabuki brush too (short, fat, round brush). This brush makes all the difference in applying the foundation.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
See, there is no such thing as OTC microdermabrasion, it''s a gimmick. "At home microdermabrasion" kits are just regular scrubs that contain ground up plastic, walnut shells, sugar or salt.

IMO, there is no reason to use a mechanical scrub anyway when there are AHA & BHA products that can exfoliate your skin more evenly & deeper. I get excellent results having micro done once a month and using an AHA in between visits.

One thing I have done that was useless & sucked was a chemical peel (Light). All it did was make my face red, skin peel off in huge sheets (I was just expecting some flaking), and make me miss a day of work. I should have just stuck with my micro since the difference in my skin is immediate and without the peels aftermath. Everybodys skin is different so I guess results depend on what you are trying to improve and what your expectations are
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results