shape
carat
color
clarity

Michelle Duggar Pregnant with 18th Child

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2008 9:58:32 AM
Author: KimberlyH

Date: 5/11/2008 3:17:24 AM
Author: miraclesrule
I also think it''s a huge assumption to assume the woman will use 90,000 diapers. I bet that woman uses cloth diapers and diaper pins and rubber pants when she can (most of the disposable ones are donated to the family.) She robably tosses them in the wash like my Mamma did. I even used them for a while but that was before the first disposable diapers, Luvs and Huggies, and they didn''t have the elastic legs, so you still had to put rubber pants over them or risk baby poop all over your waist. Yeah, I know, I sound like a dinosaur. But trust me, many parents are opting for the former method as it is enviromentally responsible. Maybe I should start up an eco-friendly diaper service like the good ole days. I''m sure it would beat working with all the s**ts in my office.
11.gif
I actually pulled this information from a list of ''Fun Facts'' about the Duggars from Discovery''s website(http://health.discovery.com/convergence/duggars/funfacts.html). And I used the lower number presented for the laundry ''fun'' fact. An interview on the Today Show stated they do 63 loads a week, which would be at least 252 loads a month, in February, most months have more than 28 days. And if she is tossing them in the wash she is still using up large amounts of resources to care for all of her brood, which goes back to my original point about our collective responsibility to society as a whole.

If you are genuinely concerned about the amount of resources it takes to do this family''s laundry - I have to ask, what you think of the hotel industry. As an example, the US division of Hilton Hotels Corp owns 3 laundry centers. Each hotel, depending on location, sends their laundry to one of these three centers. Each center does at least 30 million pounds of laundry a year. Just something to think about.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t go in depth about faith, I only said that for some people faith outweighs all else. With this family in particular, I think we can all agree that their faith is their guide whether you believe their path to be right or wrong.

PS-I was running my house at 12 years old. Was it too much, YES. Was it necessary, YES. However, I am a great person and part of the reason is because of how I grew up.

I''m not trying to argue a point, I''m trying to show that there is no right or wrong for the Duggars. There''s God''s way, that''s all.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom is the youngest of ten in a very Catholic family. There are 20 years between her and her oldest sibling. Everyone had chores and everyone helped out (my mother''s father died when she was 2, so she was raised by a single mother), but EVERYONE had a childhood.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
shiny - that's cool. You've got your opinion and I have mine.
emsmile.gif

You may want to keep in mind that religous discussions are not allowed on this board. We can all follow our faith as we so choose, and our viewpoints may be different, but it's not part of discussion for Pricescope. It could get you banned from posting which is why you don't see it often mentioned.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve seen the TLC specials on the Duggar family and I find it amazing that they have so many children. I, personally, would never have that many but to each their own. What is excellent about them is that they do not rely on the government to support them. They are weird in their own way but who isn''t? I do find it interesting about their clothing/hair style and religious beliefs but they are entitled to do what they see fit for their family.

I have only one sibling and my husband is one of six and we both had great childhoods. I had chores to do and always got attention from my parents and so did my husband. My husband''s mother is one of 14 (13 surviving) and, while poor, has wonderful stories of her childhood and how much fun it was to have built-in playmates. The family get-togethers are great as well.

As far as using the Earth''s resources - I don''t know. We all use the Earth''s resources and there''s only so much we can do. I don''t think that one large family is going to tap out the world''s supply of water, oil, corn or fill up an entire landfill with their garbage. The Duggars are certainly not the most economically friendly family but at least they have strong values and are not out doing drugs, abusing their children or relying solely on the government/tax dollars to live. With so many stories in the media about parents abusing and neglecting their children it''s nice to know that there is a family out there in Arkansas trying to do the best that they can.

Jess

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I know it''s not my place and it''s wrong for me to feel this way, but I really don''t like the chores that they have to do. I will admit that I grew up having to do absolutely nothing, and that''s not right either, but I think their kids do too much.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/11/2008 10:28:14 PM

Author: pennquaker09

I know it''s not my place and it''s wrong for me to feel this way, but I really don''t like the chores that they have to do. I will admit that I grew up having to do absolutely nothing, and that''s not right either, but I think their kids do too much.
In my opinion you may feel any way you like :). My daughter has no chores. I wish she did. I always planned that she would. But I planned a lot of things that that didn''t come to pass. In my experience, man proposes, but God disposes. I would support you in your desire to raise your children your own way as long as you did society no harm :).

In my case I decided that my child''s work was going to be her learning in school.

Deb
34.gif

snowflakeluvr

Shiny_Rock
this has been an interesting read for me.
we have five children, ages 2 1/2 to 20(in a couple of weeks) we didn''t plan it that way-just how it worked out in 21+years of marriage. i love being a mom, and we have never received any outside support in raising our family(financial, child-rearing help, etc) my husband has worked extremely hard to provide for our family. i have been a stay-at-home mum most of our 21years but worked before#1, then before #4 and #5(they are 4 and 2 1/2). my husband and i are both well-educated and believe education is key to success and opportunity in life. it seems like the duggars are instilling strong work and education values in their children.
i can never imagine being pg so many times-frankly, i was always sick, huge and didn''t enjoy most of my prenatal months(that''s just me, that''s just my health) mrs. duggar must do very well pg, and looks pretty good i think for having so many babies come out of her.
i find it intriguing that some have mentioned using the world''s resources, or being somewhat irresponsible for having so many kids, when, after watching these tlc specials, i haven''t seen the duggars take advantage of anything or anyone. i don''t think my dh and i could do what they do-i am a more modern millie than her(but i do homeschool a child this year, and i do own two washers and dryers to help get my laundry done quicker) but find it compelling that we are supposed to continue to support people who are unemployed, uninsured, often substance abusers within our society-people who are abusive, live by no religious guidance or belief system and somehow we as a society are responsible to help raise these offspring of people who often don''t'' want them(or deserve them) but a well meaning family like the duggars are questioned and/or judged for their desire and ability to have and raise a very large family. is this the norm? no, but i am inspired by their commitment to family, to each other and to God.
i taught teen moms adult education classes before i had my two little ones-many of them were under 20, working on 2nd, 3rd and 4th children with multiple fathers....now THAT is irresponsible and an enormous burden on our society(and not ONE of my students ever used cloth diapers, or breastfed-they used WIC and governmental assistance to meet their children''s needs). if people who had any children(one or twenty) would take responsiblity for raising them, then the world would be a better place, wouldn''t it?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there documentation somewhere about their financial status that i haven''t seen? From watching the documentaries I was under the impression that their grocery bills alone are in the thousands every WEEK...that''d be at least $52,000 a year. On food. Thats it. What about utilities? Clothes? Toiletries? Their expenses must be astronomical. And who knows if their house is paid off?

Granted, they have a semi-regular shows on TLC, but with going on 20 mouths to feed...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok. So from Discovery health''s website for the family says:

The Duggars feed their entire brood for less than $2,000 per month.
and
The Duggars are debt free.

And this: Michelle’s been pregnant for 135 months of her life.

That''s 11 years and 3 months. Yikes!
23.gif

And then there is their personal website, here are the FAQs: link
Where it says that one daughter makes lunch and another makes dinner. And it sounds like the older siblings teach the younger ones with phonics, math piano and violin.

He is a politician and they both have their real estate licenses. They also give seminars on Financial Freedom.

26.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2008 3:07:32 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Ok. So from Discovery health''s website for the family says:

The Duggars feed their entire brood for less than $2,000 per month.

and

The Duggars are debt free.

And this: Michelle’s been pregnant for 135 months of her life.

That''s 11 years and 3 months. Yikes!
23.gif

And then there is their personal website, here are the FAQs: link

Where it says that one daughter makes lunch and another makes dinner. And it sounds like the older siblings teach the younger ones with phonics, math piano and violin.

He is a politician and they both have their real estate licenses. They also give seminars on Financial Freedom.

26.gif

23.gif

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/12/2008 12:26:16 AM
Author: snowflakeluvr
this has been an interesting read for me.
we have five children, ages 2 1/2 to 20(in a couple of weeks) we didn''t plan it that way-just how it worked out in 21+years of marriage. i love being a mom, and we have never received any outside support in raising our family(financial, child-rearing help, etc) my husband has worked extremely hard to provide for our family. i have been a stay-at-home mum most of our 21years but worked before#1, then before #4 and #5(they are 4 and 2 1/2). my husband and i are both well-educated and believe education is key to success and opportunity in life. it seems like the duggars are instilling strong work and education values in their children.
i can never imagine being pg so many times-frankly, i was always sick, huge and didn''t enjoy most of my prenatal months(that''s just me, that''s just my health) mrs. duggar must do very well pg, and looks pretty good i think for having so many babies come out of her.
i find it intriguing that some have mentioned using the world''s resources, or being somewhat irresponsible for having so many kids, when, after watching these tlc specials, i haven''t seen the duggars take advantage of anything or anyone. i don''t think my dh and i could do what they do-i am a more modern millie than her(but i do homeschool a child this year, and i do own two washers and dryers to help get my laundry done quicker) but find it compelling that we are supposed to continue to support people who are unemployed, uninsured, often substance abusers within our society-people who are abusive, live by no religious guidance or belief system and somehow we as a society are responsible to help raise these offspring of people who often don''t'' want them(or deserve them) but a well meaning family like the duggars are questioned and/or judged for their desire and ability to have and raise a very large family. is this the norm? no, but i am inspired by their commitment to family, to each other and to God.
i taught teen moms adult education classes before i had my two little ones-many of them were under 20, working on 2nd, 3rd and 4th children with multiple fathers....now THAT is irresponsible and an enormous burden on our society(and not ONE of my students ever used cloth diapers, or breastfed-they used WIC and governmental assistance to meet their children''s needs). if people who had any children(one or twenty) would take responsiblity for raising them, then the world would be a better place, wouldn''t it?
Well said and I agree completely.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2008 1:50:17 PM
Author: crystalheart1
I also wonder if each child is getting adequate attention from their parents. I feel sorry for the children.

I hope they will be able to blend with society in the future. They all seem like they '' are in their own little world ''

Hopefully the children will be able to have normal relationships outside of the family.... I also hope they seek others
outside the family when they become attracted to the opposite sex..

This just seems like a perfect set up for abnormality among the children....I won''t elaborate..
Wow. I didn''t see anthing in the discussion here, or in my browsing of the links that have been posted, that merited an allegation of incest. Those are very strong words you used and I don''t know that they were deserved.

While it wouldn''t be my choice, and I would be concerned about the health implications of so many pregnancies, I don''t see anything awful about how this family chooses to live.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2008 12:47:31 PM
Author: Delster

I also wonder if each child is getting adequate attention from their parents. I feel sorry for the children.

I hope they will be able to blend with society in the future. They all seem like they '' are in their own little world ''

Hopefully the children will be able to have normal relationships outside of the family.... I also hope they seek others

This just seems like a perfect set up for abnormality among the children....I won''t elaborate..
Wow. I didn''t see anthing in the discussion here, or in my browsing of the links that have been posted, that merited an allegation of incest. Those are very strong words you used and I don''t know that they were deserved.

While it wouldn''t be my choice, and I would be concerned about the health implications of so many pregnancies, I don''t see anything awful about how this family chooses to live.
I think you misread it. I think she means that they are raised sort of co depoendant and may have trouble connecting with someone outside the family because of it. I really don''t think she meant incest.

icekid

Ideal_Rock

I read it that way too, Delster. Way out of line, IMO.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2008 2:11:24 PM
Author: icekid

I hope they will be able to blend with society in the future. They all seem like they ' are in their own little world '

This just seems like a perfect set up for abnormality among the children....I won't elaborate..
Wow. I didn't see anthing in the discussion here, or in my browsing of the links that have been posted, that merited an allegation of incest. Those are very strong words you used and I don't know that they were deserved.

While it wouldn't be my choice, and I would be concerned about the health implications of so many pregnancies, I don't see anything awful about how this family chooses to live.
I read it that way too, Delster. Way out of line, IMO.

Yes, I also thought that comment was unnecessary, and it definitely read as a suggestion of incest. In the older days, lots of children grew up in families of 10+ siblings.. (my mother included) - just because children are from large famlies doesnt' mean they''re any more likely to start turning on each other and forming relationships.

Someone else mentioned that the fame and money they must be getting from having a large family....I really don't think that's their motive at all. They made a decision to have a large family and naturally, T.V shows would be interested in their story. It's something that comes with making such a different decision, but I don't think they continue to procreate just so they can keep themselves in the media spotlight.

Re: the housework. My mother and father both grew up in large families (11 children and 9 children respectively), which was customary in the 1950's, at least in my part of the world. They all had their part to play in maintaining the household e.g cooking, cleaning, taking care of the farm animals etc. They all had happy childhoods, and they've all said that it helped them to develop a healthy sense of responsibility. Because of those chores they're able to manage their households effectively, as well. I agree that there is a point when housework becomes TOO much, but from what I've seen, all of the Duggar children seem to enjoy helping out and looking after their brothers and sisters. Teamwork just seems to be an important value that they share, perhaps more so than 'normal' families. I think that's why they don't appear to bae resentful or begrudging.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am dying to know what people following this thread think of Jon and Kate plus 8! Were they irresponsible for wanting more children after their first in vitro resulted in twins? Are they irresponsible for not reducing upon their doctor''s encouragement to do so? They have a website where you can read their whole story, I think it''s sixgosselins.com. Just curious, it''s another large family with a tv show, and it seems like either people love them or hate them. I certainly don''t mean to add fuel to a fire, I am just wondering like the OP of this thread, what people think and why.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Jon and Kate plus 8 is not the same!! Well, OK, both family pictures do look completely insane (for this modern era of the 4-person nuclear family), but the Gosselins look insane in a different way with the sextuplets (and the general lack of age spread among their kids.)

But the moral hazards are different, and the paths the two families took to get their large brood are different. It is relevant that the Duggars are actively, continually choosing their lifestyle and growing their family size, while the Gosselins kind of happened into their fate. My real worry with the Duggars is the ideology behind their family-size choice, and that they might be doing a good job of passing on their ideology and beliefs to their children. One large family does not an ecological disaster make in America, as we have a diverse population. But it does take 16 other people not reproducing for whatever reason to balance out just the two Duggar parents! What if all their kids went on to have 18 children each, and then their children had 18 children each - that''s a potential disaster and they could quickly outnumber the non-quiverfuls but I digress.

With the Gosselins, its not about accepting "blessings from God" as they are given or not given, they went out added some fertility drugs to the mix! And then they "left it in God''s hands" after meddling. Luckily, they got superlucky and their sextuplets all look reasonably healthy.

My feeling is that people who use technology to assist in reproduction, and the doctors who employ this technology, have a moral obligation to the health of the potential future children. And healthy children do not normally result from 4+ fetuses growing together in one womb. People morally opposed to selective reduction, such as the Gosselins, have an obligation to go about their assisted reproduction even more conservatively than another couple.

And putting the cute Gosselin kids on TV might lead other childless couples down their path, thinking that they too could end up with 6 thriving kids, when they are more likely to end up with dead babies and kids with serious medical issues... As well, in this day and age it takes a whole lot of financial resources, spunk, and determination to support such a large family in a successful way. Both the Gosselins and Duggars are doing it, but it isn''t for everyone. Donations, TV shows and/or above average single-earner income, above average stay-at-home parent competance help a lot.

Not that I don''t watch Jon and Kate plus 8 with a mix of fascination and smiling horror (what a show to inspire effective contraception!) I just also wish for conservative fertility doctors and conservative prospective parents, since I know some unsuccess stories with multiples and they are
7.gif

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t help but wonder what this world would be like if we ALL decided to have as many kids as "God gave us''. Fortunately, when you have a couple where one person believes in this approach, they are often kept in check by the sense of the other person. But sometimes not...

I do think that some people get off on the attention of it all. I knew a woman once who was exactly like this on a message board. Her whole life was about the attention that it all warranted.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto cara!

On striking difference there is that the Duggars have kids from adults to newborns while J&K just have the twins and sextuplets-but the real thing there is that J&K have chaos, while the Duggars have relative order.

Surprisingly I''m more ok with J&K than with the Duggars, probably because they don''t continue to procreate and they don''t do it with reckless abandon. Plus they are a more "normal" American family-just with 8 kids instead of 2.5. Eh. I''m not as fascinated by J&K.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wait a minute....I don''t understand. It seems like most people that have a problem with the Duggars used environmental reasons why. If that is what someone believes that is fine (we all have the right to our own beliefs) but then the same judgement should be passed against ANYONE who has more than two children and who doesn''t live as greenly as possible. I would guess most of the members on this board don''t live up to those standards. I know I don''t. Do I think the Duggars are a little strange...yes. Do I think they are wrong...no.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2008 7:41:21 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 5/10/2008 7:13:26 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 5/10/2008 6:10:56 PM
Author: miraclesrule
I think it''s odd, but when I see how loving and calm and cooperative that family is, I just feel happy.

I don''t know if I feel happy, because it isn''t me with 17 children, or that the parents don''t allow our ''normal'' society to define them. If they can create a happy, sustainable, more peaceful environment for themselves and their family, I am very happy for them.

I don''t necessarily believe that our society is ''normal''. I think it''s dysfunctional.

At least this family is spawned by a single loving Mother and Father, and not some wierd cult environment where they have to test the DNA on every adult and child to determine who the biological parents of a child actually turn out to be. That''s reprehensible in my opinion, even though they all seem as peaceful as the community on Stepford Wives.

Or worst yet, some madman that rapes his child, plans her future confinement as a hostage, and bears 7 children with her over the course of 24 years.

I''ll take the Duggar''s family any day.
Ditto, I completely agree w/Tacori, Monnie, SS and Miraclesrule. They don''t rely on the govt for help; they take care of themselves and don''t bother anyone so I really don''t see a problem. Plus think of how fun the family reunions would be!!!
3.gif
12.gif
I have 0 children but I figure whatever floats peoples boats. I always think it is interesting how judgemental people can be when they can''t identify w/others (not just with this family but in general).
26.gif
Ditto. Well said.
35.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori,

I have less of a problem with J&K because even with ten of them, they have just over half the size of family as the Duggars. If Michelle has another few good years of pregnancy left in her, I bet they''ll get up to twenty. I don''t agree with having that many children, of either family, for environmental reasons.

But one of the major differences between the two families is that J&K wanted 3 kids-the twins plus another pregnancy. When it came down to the second pregnancy, it produced 6 viable embryos, and being that their morals are what they are, they decided to do what they felt right in giving those 6 babies a fighting chance-against all of the odds. They did not continue having child after child after child and so on the way the Duggars have, and will continue to do.

There is a very thin gray line in between J&K and Jim Bob & Michelle. I agree more with J&Ks situation, and less with the Duggars.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Dang, Mrs. Duggars is going to get a heck of a lot of Mother''s Day presents.
36.gif

I''m sorry to be a buzzkill, but I think there are more pressing problems in the world that threaten our survival than the Duggars family.

Seriously, the Columbine Kid was an only child, right? Maybe one sibling?? That didn''t turn out so well.

Using up our resources?? We might as well just villify the entire USA. We have what percentage of the worlds population? Dang, I can''t find my book. Anyway, we use a disproportionate share of the world''s resources. The Duggars are not the root cause.

It can also be the lens in which one choses to perceive the situation. One can also suggest that the Duggars merely offset the other Americans who can''t or choose not to procreate. I know they offset my laundry bill.
16.gif

But I have to admit. I am a sucker for a debate. Let''s start a "What is the root cause of the world''s problems" thread. That would be sooooooooooo fun!!
36.gif

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Are they educated? So I''ve heard, but are they choosing not to hear the risks that these continual pregnancies impose? Surely they have been told by physicians that enough is enough. That poor woman''s vageegee and uterus! I wonder what instrumentation she has gone through to sustain her uterus? There is no way that a woman can have that many pregnancies without intervention. They don''t believe in using birth control, but churning out a baby every year is unhealthy. Its a miracle that she has not bled out or inverted her uterus.
And, I don''t care if they are the most wonderful people in the world or the worst people in the world they are excessive.
Gluttony is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
The mere thought of 18 pregnancies is giving me morning sickness!!!!
6.gif

That said, it is their choice, and they are subsiding on their own.
I can''t believe everyone eats for about $3 a day!
That is amazing.

(How in the world do they find the time and energy to make MORE babies with 17 already running around???!!!
23.gif

not to mention finding privacy...)

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/14/2008 11:03:58 AM
Author: iluvcarats
The mere thought of 18 pregnancies is giving me morning sickness!!!!
6.gif

That said, it is their choice, and they are subsiding on their own.
I can''t believe everyone eats for about $3 a day!
That is amazing.

(How in the world do they find the time and energy to make MORE babies with 17 already running around???!!!
23.gif

not to mention finding privacy...)
They sign up for a block of time while the older kids babysit. YUK YUK
38.gif

blissfulbride

Shiny_Rock
18 big kids never ! 18 big diamond I can totally go for!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
She''s going to be 42 this year. They started having kids when she was 21. She''s got to be near the end of her fertility. Otherwise I''m afraid her body just isn''t going to be able to do it anymore...

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"And, I don''t care if they are the most wonderful people in the world or the worst people in the world they are excessive.
Gluttony is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires."

AMEN.

It is not God''s choice that makes her have another kid each year, it is Nature, as in what rabbits and deer and cockaroaches do, reproduce to the maximum and by consequence have death, disease, famine etc bring it back into carrying capacity.

We are people, and we shouldn''t let our selfish desires, in whatever form, imperil this planet.

As the Dalai Lama says, "The blue planet is our only home."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results