shape
carat
color
clarity

Metals similar to platinum for E-Ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BigToque

Rough_Rock
I remember seeing some links on this site about some white metals that were similar to platinum in terms of weight and durability and not nearly as expensive.

Does anyone remember this or any links discussing the metal or possibly even where to buy these rings. I''m sorry this sounds so vague :razz:

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Palladium is in the platinum family, will not yellow like WG, weighs about the same as WG, and costs about the same as WG. I know men's wedding bands are being made with this now, I'm not sure about e-rings.

BigToque

Rough_Rock
I''m almost positive that it wasn''t Palladium that I had seen before, but I''ll look into it.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t seen e-rings but I saw some men''s wedding bands at Kay jewelers in both titanium and in carbide, both white metal and very strong.

BigToque

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/8/2006 3:47:39 PM
Author: moon river
I haven''t seen e-rings but I saw some men''s wedding bands at Kay jewelers in both titanium and in carbide, both white metal and very strong.
These are very light compared to platinum...

The site I had seen was not from a designer site. It was run by a single guy and it didn''t seem like he was actually selling anything, but just describing the metal and how it was "better" then platinum.

I really wish I had bookmarked the page...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2006 3:56:58 PM
Author: BigToque
The site I had seen was not from a designer site. It was run by a single guy and it didn''t seem like he was actually selling anything, but just describing the metal and how it was ''better'' then platinum.

Well if one random guy who owns a computer and has access to the web thinks some kind of metal is better than platinum ... it MUST be true!
3.gif

When it comes to something as symbolic & important to a girl as an ERING ... I highly suggest you stick to the classics. 18K gold (yellow or white) or, gasp, actual Platinum. Every jeweler EVERYWHERE can''t be wrong!
2.gif

Rhapsody

Shiny_Rock
I know I am just not a metal lover, I could care less what the ring is made out of as long as it's pretty and durable and WHITE so we looked into alternatives to platinum. One thing you have to consider is that if you use an uncommon metal there are going to be very few jewelers who can work on the ring if it needs repairs or sizing, because they wont know the properties of the metal and it would be risky for them to work on it.

I would stick with white gold or platinum for something that will be worn everyday because it will inevitably need some repair work over the years.

widget

Ideal_Rock
There is a designer, David Keeling, (I think he posts here occasionally) who works with 19 karat white gold....I wonder if this is more "platinum like" than 18K??

Here''s his website...you''d have to message him and ask him about 19K...or maybe he''ll pop in here... www.davidkeelingjewellry.com

widget

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
I saw a Vatche royal x prong ring setting made of palladium at winkjones.com. The price looks similar to that of gold to me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results