shape
carat
color
clarity

Metallic white pearl necklace

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
ltlmsmfft|1427845057|3855290 said:
I have an 18" Freshadama Metallic strand from PP that I love; but, I did have to go on the wish list and wait for a special buying trip to get them. Honestly, I think they were worth the wait! I also have a longer AAA Metallic white strand from PP that is super shiny! The AAA strand is noticeably more shiny than the Freshadama strand and both are graded as Metallic. There is a trade off for getting truly round pearls in metallics. Both strands are lovely though. As others have said it is more difficult to find the larger freshwater pearls in both metallic and Freshadama grade, so if super round is not that important to you I would say give the AAA pearls a try. They do look round when worn on the neck. You may get much more lustery pearls with that grade. If roundness is super important to you, then get on the wish list and wait for the Freshadama grade pearls.
Thanks, ennui.

Thanks ltlmsmfft. That makes sense that with the rarity of the rounds, I might have to give up luster.

I'm not someone who likes to keep on asking about price, and I like to see things in person, so I will have to think about what I really want and what I am willing to pay before contacting anyone.

As promised, here is a picture of the Akoyas (top 2 strands) next to Metallics (bottom) at PP. The shape of the semi-rounds was apparent close up, but not on the neck. I think this picture is too far away to discern shape. I do think that you see the different overtones.

img_7500.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice to see a side by side comparison. What mm size are these?

My personal preference is to for solid nacre so metallics would be my first choice over akoya. Btw, another option for metallics as the are hard to find in larger sizes is to do a double strand of smaller pearls. It gives a larger look and smaller pearls are more readily available.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I don't remember the size. Also, now that I think again, I am not sure they were metallics. They might just have been FWP.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm inclined to think they were metallics, given the luster and the semi-roundness.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Preg is it just my monitor or are the freshwaters slightly creamier in body colour than the akoyas? Is there typically a difference in body body/base colour between the different types of pearls?

Also is the top strand the pinked hanadama and the second natural white?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
preg,

Sorry to hear about your loss.

The reason I sold my double strand Freshadamas that Jeremy made in a rush for me in 2008 was because it was made to attend my late partner's funeral, as I needed to boost my morale and stand tall in front of his family etc...

Although it was a magnificent necklace, it would always remind me of those dark days, and I could not bring myself to wear it again. Hence I sold it, and It went to a good home to another PGer.

Therefore, I am empathise why you cannot wear the pearls given to you by your parents.

Hugs.

DK :))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I've read that metallics tend to have green overtone but I don't know about body color. I am a new to pearls so I don't know more than that. I hope s more knowledgeable person comes along

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my experience, freshwater pearls do have a creamier body colour than akoyas and WSS pearls do. The quality of the nacre is also different. It doesn't show well in photographs, but in person I don't usually have trouble telling one from the other. Someone who hasn't done a close comparison though (or who isn't obsessed with pearls) probably wouldn't know the difference.

All of my metallics either have a slight cream, gold, or green overtone to them. For some of them, this is mixed in with a bit of pink, but they are a slightly different colour of white than both Akoka pearls and non-metallic freshwater pearls. I also have some non-metallic freshwater pearls that have luster very similar to my metallic ones, but they don't have the green overtones to them (they are either silver overtoned or pink).

Honestly, if you get top quality freshwater pearls (regardless of whether they are metallic or not) you will probably be very happy.

There are always trade-offs though:

Larger pearls often have less sharp luster than smaller ones. This is true even with metallic freshwater pearls.

Metallics tend to be off-round (the round ones are more rare and more expensive, especially for the bigger ones), and have greenish overtones, but are less expensive than similar sized top quality (Gem, Freshadama, Elite, etc.) freshwater pearls.

Top quality freshwaters will come in either silver or rose overtones and will be very round, but may be more creamy than top quality Akoya pearls and will have a more satin type of luster than top quality Akoya. They may also be slightly less uniform, although this is less the case if you buy the top tier grades from the vendors typically recommended here. The trade off there though is that you can get them significantly larger than what Akoya pearls will even grow to (the largest size of Akoya typically available is 9 - 9.5 mm, and that is $$$), and at a much more reasonable price.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1427930580|3855586 said:
I've read that metallics tend to have green overtone but I don't know about body color. I am a new to pearls so I don't know more than that. I hope s more knowledgeable person comes along

I only have a pair of earrings, but my white metallic drops have decidedly pink overtones.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, cmd, that is very helpful.

Ennui, I have much to learn :read: Thanks for your comment!

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Several summers ago when the very first batch of white metallic strands were offered at pp NL and I were the first to choose from the strands. I Chose mine because of its pink overtone. NL's was chosen by Jeremy because it looked just like a hanadama strand. He also pulled a certified hanadama strand out of the vault for a side by side comparison. Jeremy was the only one present who could tell the difference between the two strands. Last week I took my large white metallic drop which has a pink soap bubble effect overtone to pp and matched it to a strand of the white baroque akoyas. I Also have a triple strand of cream metallic pearls that I am now having restrung into a rope.

In my experience and pearl collection very metallic fwps can and do look like akoyas. Fwps can be very white body color as well as a cream body color. I have seen white body fwps with a green overtone but do not own any of those. Ido have green overtone fwps. The trick is knowing what you want and then asking the right Pearl company to find it for you.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1428433712|3858094 said:
In my experience and pearl collection very metallic fwps can and do look like akoyas. Fwps can be very white body color as well as a cream body color. I have seen white body fwps with a green overtone but do not own any of those. Ido have green overtone fwps. The trick is knowing what you want and then asking the right Pearl company to find it for you.

Although new to pearls, I totally agree that sometimes metallic FW can look very much like Akoyas. Last week when I was at PP, I was drawn to a pair of studs that Mia was wearing. I swear they look very similar to my Hanadama. That resulted in my purchase of a pair of metallic. Cannot wait to receive them.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
yingh|1428434437|3858103 said:

Although new to pearls, I totally agree that sometimes metallic FW can look very much like Akoyas. Last week when I was at PP, I was drawn to a pair of studs that Mia was wearing. I swear they look very similar to my Hanadama. That resulted in my purchase of a pair of metallic. Cannot wait to receive them.

Agree about the very metallic FW looking like akoya. A few weeks ago I was on vacation in the Czech Republic and dropped into a high end jewelry store on Paris Street in Prague to look at pearls. (I guess I needed some eye candy.) I was wearing a pair of very metallic 8.5 mm white pearl studs from Kevin at Pearls of Joy, and the sales associates were positive they were akoya. My metallics have both rose and green overtones, so I pointed out the green overtones while explaining that these were the very best Chinese freshwaters. :praise:

I so prefer these to akoya. :naughty: Why spend the extra money?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The manager of the jewelry department at Nordstrom thought my metallic white FWP pearls were akoyas.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I might show an example of a White Metallic to help Pregcurious with the green overtone which I love also some pink underneath! These studs are so different than my white cultured freshwaters that I love too. I feel these Metallics have a soap bubble look with an inner glow. img_7388.jpg
img_7385.jpg

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
I do not own Akoya pearls, so nothing to compare.

img_7386.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Several summers ago when the very first batch of white metallic strands were offered at pp NL and I were the first to choose from the strands. I Chose mine because of its pink overtone. NL's was chosen by Jeremy because it looked just like a hanadama strand. He also pulled a certified hanadama strand out of the vault for a side by side comparison. Jeremy was the only one present who could tell the difference between the two strands.
4RanchGirl, are you metallics very round? I have only seen ones that are near round.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Pearlsngems, that must be a great feeling.

Thank you Frost me! I think I see the green that you are talking about. It is very subtle.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious, I took the opportunity to tell the manager about the white metallics and we had a really interesting discussion!

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1428450571|3858246 said:
Several summers ago when the very first batch of white metallic strands were offered at pp NL and I were the first to choose from the strands. I Chose mine because of its pink overtone. NL's was chosen by Jeremy because it looked just like a hanadama strand. He also pulled a certified hanadama strand out of the vault for a side by side comparison. Jeremy was the only one present who could tell the difference between the two strands.
4RanchGirl, are you metallics very round? I have only seen ones that are near round.
Good question. I had to dig the strand out of the safe. I have really bad astigmatism so my eyes see one thing but my brain will correct. So my brain sees round. :roll: I did ask my son to look at them (the one who go to PP with me) he said round as well. So they appear round. Now are they 8 way roller round? Probably not but for at first glance and a sharp eyed boy looking they appear round.

I must admit that this debate of round or off round drives me batty. Akoya pearls are round because they have a mother of pearl round bead in the middle. That is why you can get a perfectly round thin nacre plated akoya bead necklace. Freshwater pearls are tissue nucleated with no beads it is just a little animal secreating a substance that takes any shape it pleases. Thank goodness some of the pearls turn out round maybe not perfectly round but pretty darn close. When a off round pearl necklace worn on the neck and is seen from several feet away it is going to appear round. If you purchase AAA pearls they will be very close to round as a little animal can make them. SO after all of this that is why for me the bottom line is luster above all else.

_28711.jpg

_28712.jpg

diy_steps_0.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with what you say about round vs off round, etc., 4RG. Those are some pretty pearls, btw. Love the way they reflect the lights, like movie stars.

I seem to recall that the shape of a freshwater pearl is determined (or helped) by where the tissue is planted in the mollusk. Since a freshwater mollusk can make several pearls at a time, it's possible to get rounds, off rounds, potato shapes, etc., all from the same harvest. Or did I just make that up?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
4Ranch Girl said:
... SO after all of this that is why for me the bottom line is luster above all else.

I agree entirely.

The manager at Nordstrom saw the luster and thought, "akoyas".
Clearly, he did not focus on the shape or else he would have thought, "freshwaters."

If you must have round, get high quality akoyas. Then you can be sure they are round!

Don't judge the roundness of the metallics by earring photos. The roundest pearls will be saved for earrings. In a strand of metallics, expect some degree of off-roundness and you won't be disappointed.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll correct myself to say, "If you must have round, get bead nucleated pearls."
Not just akoyas, any more.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are my AAA (not Freshadama) metallics from PP next to my Akoyas so you can get an idea of typical shape for non Freshadama metallic strands. The pink ones are the akoya. The larger egg shaped ones are the metallics. Shape is important to me, so I had asked for the roundest ones possible in that size. You can see that the luster is better on the akoyas (although this is much more obvious IRL) and you can see the greenish tint of the metallics. They both look white on the neck; the metallics don't look round even on the neck. The size is fun though, and the price difference is significant. I had hoped for something closer to 4RanchGirl's strand, but I'm told that it was a special piece not easily replicated. (And it is gorgeous and I drool every time I look at it!)

Pretty much everyone else I spoke to said the same thing: that AAA white metallics in the larger sizes are typically off round, and it is difficult and much more expensive to do strands with earring grade pearls. The type of price that these would cost gets you into salt water pearl territory for the most part, which is why most vendors don't carry this type of strand in their regular offerings. The AAA metallics I have bought from other venders (other than earrings) have been similarly off round. They're beautiful, but I think it's important to have realistic expectations in order to be happy. I imagine that if you are able to go in person, you have the opportunity to hand pick the cream of the crop and find what might be a one-off extra special piece. It might not be representative of the 'typical' or average strand that is available. Special ordering before the Hong Kong trips and being prepared to wait (and pay more for the higher quality) also offers the best opportunity to get the unusually beautiful pieces as well. It just depends on what you are really looking for, whether you are prepared to wait, and how much you're prepared to budget.

Edit: the camera picks up colours that the eye doesn't sometimes. IRL the Akoyas do not look pink. They look white with a pink overtone areound the edges. The metallics also don't look yellowish. They look creamy white with a subtle green overtone around the edges.

_28734.jpg

_28735.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
4RanchGirl, thank you so much for all your effort to give me that assessment. Your pearls look amazing, and I am really enjoying the pictures. The large pearl on the pendant is mind-blowing because you can really see the luster on it. It's so gorgeous.

Ennui, you just taught me more :read:

Pearlsngems, that makes sense about the tissue nucleation versus bead.

Thanks, cmd. I am considering some metallics that look cream in the photos, but are supposed to be white in person. Your picture puts that into context for me so I will have reasonable expectations. I favor no pinking, so the cream/green will probably be okay for me.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014, your Akoya pearls are so perfectly pretty!

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Pregcurious you have received very good advise and visuals in this thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results