shape
carat
color
clarity

Metal choice- M marquise

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm proceeding to set my marquise. As much as I love seeing all the vintage settings, I know from personal past experiences that its just not me. I like my jewelry to have a lot of simplicity, and a lot of gold :love:

I need advise about the color of metal I should go with.
Yellow gold pros:
1.It feels very throwback 80s, but in the best way.
2.I eventually want to get a Tiffany twist, and it would match that, not too much metal mixing
Cons:
1. I'm not sure if its the most flattering color for my stone
2. It'll be more expensive as itl be 18k

Rose gold pros:
1. 14k will be more affordable
2. I think it might flatter my stone better
Cons:
1. Is it too trendy
2. I'm afraid of getting too many mixed metals going on

The other question is which looks best with my skin tone.
I've attached some photos of my setting idea, the stone next to some colors, and the metal color on my hand. Keep in mind I will have the head in unplated 14k white, so that's decided already.

uploadfromtaptalk1420218610944.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1420218635226.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1420218658344.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1420218682324.jpg

kellydean

Rough_Rock
while your stone looks very good in rose gold and it looks wonderful with your skin.. I am also afraid it is a little trendy for a long term setting? I REALLY debated with myself in rose gold and didn't go with it but I now want to have a little something for right hand bling in it!!!!!! but there is no BAD decision!!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kellydean|1420219507|3810893 said:
while your stone looks very good in rose gold and it looks wonderful with your skin.. I am also afraid it is a little trendy for a long term setting? I REALLY debated with myself in rose gold and didn't go with it but I now want to have a little something for right hand bling in it!!!!!! but there is no BAD decision!!!!

The good thing is it isn't my engagement ring, so I guess I can be a bit more trendy.

Decisions are hard. Hahah

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I don't consider rose gold to be trendy. Rose gold has been around for hundreds of years and while it's become more popular in recent years, I don't see the actual color (rose/pink) going out of style. Sure, there may be certain styles of rose gold jewelry that might go out of style, but I don't believe that the rose gold color itself would go out of style.
I would choose white or rose with that particular stone - yellow would not even be a consideration for me. Best of luck on your choice :)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote rose gold! It looks REALLY nice with your skin tone! It looks meh on me, and I'm always so jealous of people who wear it well. :mrgreen:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the way the rose gold looks with your marquise. It really pops sitting on the rose gold penny. I don't think rose gold is trendy either and it looks great with your skin tone.

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am normally a yellow gold fangirl. (I love YG anything) But in this case, I think the rose gold looks amazing. I would totally pick that if it were mine.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
I do think rose gold is a bit trendy now. However, with the simple setting you selected and the unplanted white gold head, I do not think it will look trendy at all. Based on the pics you posted, the diamond stands out significantly more on the penny and the rose gold looks amazing with your skin tone. i think it will look absolutely stunning.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neil, I really like the rose gold against your skin and it looks to flatter the stone.

The thing about the yellow gold is that marquise were popular in the 80's and so was yellow gold...not sure what you are looking
for but I think the rose gold gives it a more up-to-date look while still being classic due to your setting choices (not trendy to me).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1420226579|3810962 said:
Neil, I really like the rose gold against your skin and it looks to flatter the stone.

The thing about the yellow gold is that marquise were popular in the 80's and so was yellow gold...not sure what you are looking
for but I think the rose gold gives it a more up-to-date look while still being classic due to your setting choices (not trendy to me).
Yeah you're right yellow gold marquise is super 80s... I kinda love that about it

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for rose gold.

DK :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond "pops" the best against the RG. I have a RG ring that my great aunt who is now dead left me - RG and YG for that matter go in and out of fashion but they are always wearable.....

BlueEyes77

Rough_Rock
I absolutely adore Rose Gold with white diamonds. It looks great with your stone and with your skin.

I am considering Rose gold for my ring, and if I don't end up going with rose gold as the engagement ring I am defiantly going do a band in rose gold. But I also love mixing Rose, Yellow, and White gold together.

I have had a few people ask me if I think rose gold will "go out of style" and truly I don't think it will. If styled simplistically I think it will be timeless, and a real stunner.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I too vote for rose or yellow gold. As a fellow M marquis owner, I think that wg/pt with this color/stone really accentuates the yellow undertones in certain lighting and not in the best way. Honestly, if I ever reset my diamond I would seriously consider yellow gold and possibly cupping the stone to intentionally enhance the light yellow appearance. Probably not going to happen as I love my ring, but I could always get my hand shut in a car door again.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ponder|1420250545|3811124 said:
I too vote for rose or yellow gold. As a fellow M marquis owner, I think that wg/pt with this color/stone really accentuates the yellow undertones in certain lighting and not in the best way. Honestly, if I ever reset my diamond I would seriously consider yellow gold and possibly cupping the stone to intentionally enhance the light yellow appearance. Probably not going to happen as I love my ring, but I could always get my hand shut in a car door again.

White gold was never an option. Ita between yellow and rose.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BlueEyes77|1420249765|3811116 said:
I absolutely adore Rose Gold with white diamonds. It looks great with your stone and with your skin.

I am considering Rose gold for my ring, and if I don't end up going with rose gold as the engagement ring I am defiantly going do a band in rose gold. But I also love mixing Rose, Yellow, and White gold together.

I have had a few people ask me if I think rose gold will "go out of style" and truly I don't think it will. If styled simplistically I think it will be timeless, and a real stunner.

Thanks for coming out of lurkdom for your opinion. :wavey:

I agree mixing golds goes well as my wedding set mixes all three. But because of that, I feel my right hand can only have at most 2 colors, white and another color. Soooo, this decision essentially decides my jewelry choices for my right hand, and probably other stuff.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Neil, I love how that diamond looks in your palm with the penny--it glows on your skin tone! What do you like best for that diamond, & then with your ring & wedding band?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb|1420253821|3811146 said:
Neil, I love how that diamond looks in your palm with the penny--it glows on your skin tone! What do you like best for that diamond, & then with your ring & wedding band?

Well it'll be a rhr so I'm not too concerned about my wedding band, though, being a trinity, it'll go with either so that's no help Haha

I do genuinely prefer yellow gold, but I fear its not right for this stone. Like I said I love that it would be such a throwback to those .5 ct marquise guard 80s rings (that I still see all over) but in the best way. I do love rose too though, so its not like I'm necessarily picking a metal I DONT like.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1420251021|3811127 said:

Sorry, I meant the prongs. You said unplated wg, correct? My first ering had an unplated wg basket and prongs and even that emphasized the visual difference significantly. If I ever did it again, I would go yellow gold all the way.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ponder|1420255100|3811158 said:
Niel|1420251021|3811127 said:

Sorry, I meant the prongs. You said unplated wg, correct? My first ering had an unplated wg basket and prongs and even that emphasized the visual difference significantly. If I ever did it again, I would go yellow gold all the way.

Ohhh I get you! lol.
My stone is a little different. From everything I see it in, its whitest with a light color directly under it. I'd considered a bezel, which I would have totally done in all rose or yellow metal, but in a classic solitaire this stone needs a white basket.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I'm a YG fan, but do think that stone would look great in RG. Have you considered having the shank brushed? I love that look :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
woofmama|1420257054|3811171 said:
I'm a YG fan, but do think that stone would look great in RG. Have you considered having the shank brushed? I love that look :love:
I had!

Well, having it textured somehow. I was thinking making it a matte finish, but I love the idea.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it w/RG.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1420254048|3811149 said:
sarahb|1420253821|3811146 said:

Well it'll be a rhr so I'm not too concerned about my wedding band, though, being a trinity, it'll go with either so that's no help Haha

I do genuinely prefer yellow gold, but I fear its not right for this stone. Like I said I love that it would be such a throwback to those .5 ct marquise guard 80s rings (that I still see all over) but in the best way. I do love rose too though, so its not like I'm necessarily picking a metal I DONT like.

I don't think you could go wrong with either the yellow or the rose gold! The hard decisions--maybe go for what you'll like best for long run--if its gold, its gold :)

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
I really love the rose gold with your diamond and against your skin. I agree with the others who have said rose gold isn't going out of style anytime soon or trendy. My jeweler had some rose gold from what she said was the Victorian era, so I'd say it's here to stay. :dance:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful stone Niel!
I love RG with the stone and with your skintone. RG has been here for a while and will not go out of style. I would go for it!
Personally I would also make the prongs in RG.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe when I say "out of style", I'm not saying exactly what I mean

Yes its been around a while, I mean Cartier has used it for years, but rose gold has not prominently been used in engagement rings until recently.

I just don't want in 10 years people to be like " oh that's totally a 2010's ring " the way a cluster looks 80s and a princess looks 90s

Which I know sounds silly as I love the idea that yellow hold would SEEM 80s, but I guess maybe the reason I think its different is because though it seems that way, its not.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the head is going to be unplated white gold, I'd go with the 18kt yellow gold - I really like the look of that color on your hand, in fact preferring it over the look of the rose gold (based on these pics) - and I think overall 18kt YG would be a better fit in terms of your preferences/concerns. I also think a matte/satin finish perhaps only on the shank top, with the sides high-polish, could be a good look and complementary to the marquise, adding interest/texture without taking over.

I look forward to seeing what you decide, and the finished ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results