shape
carat
color
clarity

Men's wedding ...What kind of metal are they wearing?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I keep going back and forth on whether or not I should get my fiance a platinum or 14k wedding band. He is very rough in general, so I wanted find out what kind of wedding band men are wearing around here. Thanks.
1.gif

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
I wear a titanium band from Boone Rings. I like it becauses it's very durable and light weight. It was also a lot less expensive compared to gold or platinum.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2005 11:06:44 AM
Author: ep6585
I wear a titanium band from Boone Rings. I like it becauses it''s very durable and light weight. It was also a lot less expensive compared to gold or platinum.

Thanks, does it scratch up a lot?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am going to get my fi plt b/c he would NEVER take white gold to be re-plated. I know some stores like jareds will polish your plt rings for life if you buy it through them. Plus I think he likes the "brushed" style which should hide some.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Greg got a titanium band with a thin line of yellow gold (and a diamond). He loves it. It scratches up, but not as badly as some platinum rings I have seen.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
The only thing to be aware of with Titanium is it can''t be sized. Not a big deal but worth mentioning. Also, if it gets stuck on your finger, you have to take the finger off. Well, not really, but it''s so hard that there are very few things that can cut through it. That being said, it is durable and a very cool look.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I always wonder why some platinum bands scratch up more than others.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dem makes a good point re: cutting it off, esp if it''s the aircraft grade. There is actually a more commercial grade which is not as hard and would probably be able to be cut more easily. But actually apparently now firemen and doctors etc carry those tools that could cut off the hard stuff.

Greg takes his ring off anytime he ''works'' on anything or even when he works out etc. So far so good. Knock on wood!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Would your fiance''s 14k gold wedding ring be yellow gold or white gold? My husband wears 14k yellow gold. He''s very white/pale, so white metals just don''t flatter him.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
It will be a white metal ring. We went and tried some on and white metal looks good on him.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I don''t want my FI to take it off unless his life depends on it! He will loose it for sure.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
I found a tungsten ring that I fell in love with. He likes it too. I read that tungsten is even stronger than titanium. Is that true?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2005 11:54:31 AM
Author: Demelza
The only thing to be aware of with Titanium is it can''t be sized. Not a big deal but worth mentioning. Also, if it gets stuck on your finger, you have to take the finger off. Well, not really, but it''s so hard that there are very few things that can cut through it. That being said, it is durable and a very cool look.

yeah my Future BIL had to get his sawed off (the ring not the finger) when his finger swole up. doesn''t sound like fun. but i am sure that may be the case with any.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
my husband also wears a boone titanium ring.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Well, here''s my experiences with white gold vs. platinum. I bought my husband a 14 k white gold ring in the style he wanted. Less than 3 months after our wedding, his ring started turning gold. I was pretty upset that it happened in that short amount of time. I could not see replating his ring every 3 months for the rest of our life together. So I went out and purchased a platinum band identical to the original white gold band. I am worried that it will scratch more easily, but his band has a hammered look so I don''t think it will show the scratches as easily as a plain band.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2005 12:27:54 PM
Author: aphisiglovessae
I found a tungsten ring that I fell in love with. He likes it too. I read that tungsten is even stronger than titanium. Is that true?

I didn''t see his ring???

Shiny42805

Shiny_Rock
I really like the look of a 2 tone band, and he likes it because it matches his watch.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2005 12:32:11 PM
Author: coda72
Well, here''s my experiences with white gold vs. platinum. I bought my husband a 14 k white gold ring in the style he wanted. Less than 3 months after our wedding, his ring started turning gold. I was pretty upset that it happened in that short amount of time. I could not see replating his ring every 3 months for the rest of our life together. So I went out and purchased a platinum band identical to the original white gold band. I am worried that it will scratch more easily, but his band has a hammered look so I don''t think it will show the scratches as easily as a plain band.

I don''t get it! I have known so many people who wear white gold and that never happend! It must be a cheap mix!

bar01

Brilliant_Rock

I have a Trew tungsten/platinum wedding band. None of that sissy titanium for me

11.gif
– I need it to be indestructible and look new for life...

No worries about sizing as I get one free size exchange up (nice deal from Trew).

It is a bit heavy - but no more than if the ring was all Platinum .

I did worry about an emergency – but Tungsten can be cracked off (rather than cut). I carry the instructions in my wallet.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2005 12:38:06 PM
Author: Bertrand

I have a Trew tungsten/platinum wedding band. None of that sissy titanium for me

11.gif
– I need it to be indestructible and look new for life...

No worries about sizing as I get one free size exchange up (nice deal from Trew).

It is a bit heavy - but no more than if the ring was all Platinum .

I did worry about an emergency – but Tungsten can be cracked off (rather than cut). I carry the instructions in my wallet.

Where did you get your ring from?

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Here ! it is the 7MPT ring....

Rube

Shiny_Rock
My husband wears a titanium band- most of the time.
28.gif
He takes it off for work.

I also wear titanium, and it''s both brushed and polished. I haven''t been wearing it for long, but I am incredibly rough with with, and no problems so far.

Rube

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/18/2005 12:35:03 PM
Author: lmurden
I don''t get it! I have known so many people who wear white gold and that never happend! It must be a cheap mix!

I don''t know what you mean by a cheap mix; his ring wasn''t that cheap. Plus it was an artcarved ring, and I think their rings are supposed to be good quality. Some people''s skin reacts more to white gold and it will turn gold quickly on many people. I think there a few threads on here about white gold turning if you care to look.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2005 12:42:53 PM
Author: Bertrand
Here ! it is the 7MPT ring....

You learn something new everyday!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2005 12:46:09 PM

I don''t know what you mean by a cheap mix; his ring wasn''t that cheap. Plus it was an artcarved ring, and I think their rings are supposed to be good quality. Some people''s skin reacts more to white gold and it will turn gold quickly on many people. I think there a few threads on here about white gold turning if you care to look.

In no way shape or form was I calling your husband''s ring a cheap mix. I apologize if you took it that way. I was just saying that I hear a lot more people talking about white gold turning yellow than I had heard before. I just assumed that the mix that some jewelers are using today may not be the same as before for some jewelers.

mmorrison

Rough_Rock
I wear a titanium ring with gold inlay that I got from Titaniumera.com

the non airplane grade titanium can be resized (by up to 1/2 size) and can be cut

my fiancee's band is platinum and I was worried about the color difference, but it's nothing to worry about. polished titanium looks very slick :)

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/18/2005 12:46:09 PM

They usually rhodium plate white gold to make it look "whiter". All gold, regardless of the color or karat is made from the same metal, which is gold, which is orange/yellow in color. The other elements that are mixed with the gold are what determine what color the final product will be, whether it''s yellow, white, pink, green, or whatever. The percentage of other element mixed with the gold also determines the what karat the gold is going to be, 10K, 12K, 14K, 18K, or 24K. All colors of gold metal have that "yellowish" undertone to me if you look closely. I have a few white gold rings, and I usually insist that they rhodium plate the prongs of the diamond sets, because they do tend to yellow after time with wear and tear. It probably depends a lot on the amount of wear, the pH balance of the wearer''s skin, and the exposure to chemicals such as detergents and alkalines that will determine how fast or how slow the whiteness will last. I think that prongs will often show the yellow quickest, at least on me, because they are smaller and more delicate, and prone to the most abuse. On rings that I wear frequently, every few years I have to have them re-plated (at least the prongs anyway). Some people don''t have much of a problem with their white gold yellowing as other people do, and it''s because they have a different combination of factors that contribute to the yellowing.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Those who have titanium and tungsten band did you get it for the durability, cost, and less scatches vs platinum?

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Sjz.
34.gif

JROC

Rough_Rock
Well, I can''t comment on Titanium or Tungsten, but from what I hear Tungsten does''t scratch at all form just normal wear. I can comment on Platinum though. I had a PLAT950 band that had a high polish but it really started to look terrible after a few months of wear. It looks great when it is polished but after some wear you can really see the scratches.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results