shape
carat
color
clarity

Mens Emerald Wedding Band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

OneAngryElf

Rough_Rock
Has anyone ever heard of or seen a ring that could be described like the following? We''re trying to find some pictures of what the fiancé wants for his wedding band.

A medium thickness band with emerald cut emeralds, channel set through the band, spaced out evenly (maybe 3 or 4 of them).

If you''ve seen another ring that sounds like this (hopefully a good enough description!) that would also be really helpful. Thanks!!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the first ring that D&T posted. That would be so cool with Emeralds.

Actually your description is very clear and I think you''d probably be able to get that made quite easily. Just one thing I want to run past you ............ are you aware that Emeralds are not the hardiest of gemstones? If this is for an everyday ring will the gentleman concerned look after it? Having channel or bezel set stones will give some protection but they are still prone to chipping and fracturing if knocked in just the right place. The other thing is that you shouldn''t get Emeralds near hot water as they can crack so if the man in question often washes his hands and isn''t likely to take the ring off you may want to mention this to him.

OneAngryElf

Rough_Rock
D&T, those are GREAT starting points!! I like the first one a lot as well.

Loving, a jeweler DID mention the fragility of emeralds to us once. I may try to convince him to just go with a regular band and maybe later, after we''re done being grad students (ahem, having small disposable incomces...) we can get him his dream ring for an anniversary or something.

He does tend to bang into things a lot. We joke that no watch is safe on his wrist because they get so dinged up. Maybe I''ll see how strong my power of persuasion REALLY are!

Sal from Cal

Rough_Rock
Trade
I also agree that the first link D&T posted was very nice. Clean lines while adding a small amount of color to it would look great IMHO.

As mention by others the emeralds might not be what you want for it but there are other green stones that might work out better for you or other colors if green isn''t required.

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here is a mock up so you can get a visual.

Emerald mock up_WEB.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Some men are just not crazy about the idea of wearing a gemstone ring in general for this very reason (risk of damage), especially those who work a lot with their hands, so they choose to wear such rings on chains around their necks. Maybe that''s something he''d consider and it would allow him to freely wear that emarald band pretty much 24/7).

P. S. In some professions it''s even dangerous to wear rings as they can get cought in the machinery and many guys have lost fingers (or parts of them) that way.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/1/2010 5:11:39 PM
Author: tonysgeko
Here is a mock up so you can get a visual.
I think that looks great! By the way, the emeralds, in this case, would be flush or gypsy set, not channel.

Best of luck.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Does he have a reason for wanting Emeralds in particular, or green stones in general? There would be harder stones available in green if he really wants them.

Laura

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I was looking at some links that were post from serenity, now seems gone,.
33.gif
Do you know why?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
deleted

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Another option is to take a setting that you like with diamonds and have emeralds places there instead. Even channel settings with round diamonds can take emerald cut emeralds. Do you have a sketch of what you are looking for?

I want to clarify a bit on emeralds being soft. While they are softer than diamonds, they are not that soft with a mohs over 8. The risk is in their durability as they are easier to be chipped. Also, there''s a lot of bad ''press'' surrounding them caused by very low quality material that is sold as ''natural emerald'' at unrealistic prices. The inclusions that create the silky texture that make an emerald unique also make it easier to fracture an emerald with a blunt impact. However for small, channel set stones, odds are higher that a blunt impact will pop the stone out before it is shattered or chipped. To minimize chipping it''s very important to choose emeralds with few surface inclusions, which are very affordable in smaller sizes.

--Joshua

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results