shape
carat
color
clarity

men not wearing wedding rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
OK-I am probably going to stir up a whole big pot of stuff here-but I went back to work today, and one of my male co-workers, who JUST got married (about 16 days ago) was not wearing his wedding ring and I called him out on it. I know that some people (males mostly I find) don''t really wear jewelry and therefore don''t wear their ring, but 16 DAYS AFTER YOU JUST GOT MARRIED?!! I would personally be offended. I am engaged, and if I didn''t wear my ring on a regular basis, my FI might wonder what the heck was up!

Another male co-worker of ours was with us, he coincidentally never wears his ring, but basically told me it didn''t matter that he didn''t wear it...So I guess what I want to know is, do your husbands wear their rings, or men do you wear your ring? And if (you)they don''t, do(does) you(your wife) mind??

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
It took my hubby months to get used wearing his. He hates wearing jewelry. For lots of people marriage is not symbolized by rings.

DH loses his ring frequently. His fingers constrict a lot when he is in cold water. He surfs several times a week so him coming home hanging his head telling me he lost his ring is nothing new. I just go buy another $100 titanium one. I''m not bothered a bit. Though I cannot understand why he won''t take it off before he goes.....*scratches head*

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
i am not currently married, but we have talked about wearing the ring. he doesnt want to wear it to work. he is an electrician and i can understand his not wanting to wear it. i dont expect him to wear it to work. i did tell him that he will wear it when we go out and when he mows the grass ( so that it is obvious that a ring goes there even when he isnt wearing it) this is our agreement and it works for us

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
*Not married yet*

My FI''s family is from South America (Chile). His father doesn''t wear a wedding ring and neither does his mom. It''s not that common there. Every once in a while she''ll wear a wedding band but that''s it. I don''t even know if she has an e-ring
33.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
FI has to wear his ring, has to! I don''t see any excuse for him not to. He''s fine with that though, which is good. I am as well (in my case).
12.gif

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
My guy does not wear jewelery and hates to even wear a watch, however he will wear a ring because what it symbolizes is more important to him than the irritation of wearing it.

I just ask if he'd take it off when at work (he's a clinical psych grad) to avoid displaying his martial status to clients, and he looked at me like I have two heads.
5.gif
Apparently he won't take it off even then.

If I wear a sign of being taken and being his 'other half', that gander had better be lounging in the same sauce as his goose!

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Mine wears his all the time. I have a friend whose husband doesn''t wear his because he doesn''t like how it feels on his hand...bugs the heck out of me! It may be fine for them, but for me personally, it would drive me nuts. Maybe that means I''m insecure and would think suspicious things....I don''t know!

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
This is funny :)

My FI doesn''t wear jewellery, and although our wedding may be another couple of years down the road, I have told him in no uncertain terms that he will wear a wedding ring.

I think he understands. :)

Oh, and he surfs too... and I won''t let him use that as an excuse.. he can leave his ring in the car! ;-)

Heheheheh.

x x x

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i always wore my ring until it was loss in a robbery
39.gif

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire: that sucks
7.gif

*hugs*

Have you replaced it?

x x x

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
My DH doesn''t wear his ring due to his occupation. When we go out he does wear his ring.

Either way it doesn''t matter to me. We know we are married. A ring is only a symbol.

Linda

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
My dad wears his regularly. My mom NEVER wears hers. Ever. She only puts her e-ring on for formals. I don''t even know what her wedding band looks like.
33.gif
I am pretty used to the idea of neither of them wearing it, so it doesn''t seem like a super big deal, but I think that FF and I are both going to be excited about wearing ours, and doing so regularly. He is not a jewelry person, but he has been harassing me about getting him an e-ring and/or wedding ring. Seriously. So I am guessing that he would plan to wear it, lol. And I tend to lose jewelry, so it should be interesting...
28.gif

Only time will tell.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/19/2008 1:29:52 AM
Author: Cleo
Dancing Fire: that sucks
7.gif

*hugs*

Have you replaced it?

x x x
will you loan me some
22.gif
?
31.gif

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
If I had any to lend, then I would, gladly.
1.gif

x x x

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
My man doesn''t wear a wedding ring. What can I say.... he lost it within days of getting married, and that was that. When I suggest that I replace it, he refuses.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2008 2:08:05 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
will you loan me some
22.gif
?
31.gif

that's funny

ETA: my man will never find the money for us to get him another ring either. And I can't get it by myself, as I can't remember his size!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think that D is too fond of wearing jewellery but he said that he''ll wear his wedding ring and try and get used to it.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
My DH wears his all day. It would bug me as well if he didnt wear it. Luckily he loves it and has no reason not too wear it.

d2b

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband wears his 24/7. He loves wearing it. I don''t know how I would feel if he didn''t like wearing it.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
In the UK a lot of men don't wear wedding bands at all - my father doesn't have one. It's quite a modern concept.

DH didn't want one and I was fine with that, but then I showed him a photograph of a mokume gane band and that was that, he wanted one.

He doesn't wear jewellery at all - unless you count cufflinks and a tie pin which he wears everyday - but they're not touching your skin. He doesn't even wear/own a watch as he hates the feel of them.

So far he has forgotten his twice in the morning (we've been married just over 3 weeks). Does it bother me? Not at all! I don't wear my e-ring or w-band around the house, doesn't mean I'm less married. I left the house quite often without my e-ring before we were married - by mistake not deliberately.

I guess I'm just super secure.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/19/2008 6:31:36 AM
Author: Pandora II
In the UK a lot of men don''t wear wedding bands at all - my father doesn''t have one. It''s quite a modern concept.

DH didn''t want one and I was fine with that, but then I showed him a photograph of a mokume gane band and that was that, he wanted one.

He doesn''t wear jewellery at all - unless you count cufflinks and a tie pin which he wears everyday - but they''re not touching your skin. He doesn''t even wear/own a watch as he hates the feel of them.

So far he has forgotten his twice in the morning (we''ve been married just over 3 weeks). Does it bother me? Not at all! I don''t wear my e-ring or w-band around the house, doesn''t mean I''m less married. I left the house quite often without my e-ring before we were married - by mistake not deliberately.

I guess I''m just super secure.
My Father didn''t wear one either, Pan is right that it seems to be a modern concept.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora - I had no idea you were married so recently - congratulations!

My father has an engagement ring and a wedding ring - and wears neither, to the huge annoyance of my mother!

Mostly this is because they''re a bit tight (middle aged spread)... but I thinkthey just annoy him.

The onyx e-ring is very dated looking now, but he wears the plain gold wedding ring on rare occasions...

x x x

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/19/2008 12:29:36 AM
Author: radiantquest
i am not currently married, but we have talked about wearing the ring. he doesnt want to wear it to work. he is an electrician and i can understand his not wanting to wear it. i dont expect him to wear it to work. i did tell him that he will wear it when we go out and when he mows the grass ( so that it is obvious that a ring goes there even when he isnt wearing it) this is our agreement and it works for us
RQ~

My DH is an electrician, too!
1.gif

His company''s policy is that the guys are not supposed to wear any jewelry at all. The reason for this is because most metals used in jewelry are very conductive, and not something you want to be wearing when you''re working around electricity. But, his company doesn''t really enforce the policy, especially when it comes to wedding rings, and most of the guys (DH included) wear their rings to work every day.

DH is very attached to his ring. It''s pretty beat up after three years of him banging it around, and I keep offering to replace it, but he completely refuses to even consider this. In fact, it''s hard for me to get him to take it off long enough for me to clean it! LOL! I don''t really think he would feel comfortable not wearing it to work. But, he does have some scary stories about other electricians and what happened to their wedding rings, so I do worry about that sometimes!
32.gif

A funny story about the whole guys-not-wearing-rings issue: When my Mom married her second husband, he said he wasn''t planning to wear his ring, because most of the guys he worked with didn''t wear theirs. (Keep in mind, there really wasn''t much of a reason for this ~ they simply chose not to wear them.) So, my Mom said, "Fine, then I won''t wear one either!" Needless to say, that convinced him to wear it! LOL!
2.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/19/2008 6:26:44 AM
Author: Maisie
My husband wears his 24/7. He loves wearing it. I don''t know how I would feel if he didn''t like wearing it.
Ditto!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Neither I nor my DH wear our wedding bands for a good chunk of the time. A naked hand just feels better sometimes :) Also, we rock climb all the time, so rings are dangerous. We know you don''t have to have a ring to be married.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
My father lost his wedding band 3 weeks after he and my mother got married. This was 35 years ago - and still, to this day, doesn''t have another one. He''s a farmer who uses his hands a LOT - and a ring could be the difference between losing or keeping a finger if it were caught in machinery.

I think everyone is different - I''ve been married for two weeks - and i don''t wear my rings sometimes already - I think it''s all a matter of personal preference. Without my rings, I''m still married, so it doesn''t bother me if DH doesn''t wear his...

vslover

Shiny_Rock
My DH loves his and never takes it off.

niccia

Shiny_Rock
My dad never wore a ring and my mum only had a simple band (I think my dad had one from his dad originally but I don''t know what happened to it). My mum always wanted an engagement ring with a tanzanite stone (my dad''s birthplace) but they could never afford to buy one plus my dad was never very good at giving her gifts (if he did it was usually lingerie
20.gif
) . Now that I''m older I would like to find her a nice ring with my dad''s help and get it for her, but let my dad give it to her. I don''t know if she would like that though or of it would mean the same to her.

As for my fiance, we were planning on buying him a ring but then he decided he would rather have a new snowmobile. He isn''t really a jewellry type of guy and works with his hands a lot . So we got him that instead as an engagement gift which was fine with me. I was very involved in the purchase of my ring because I knew what I wanted, so I figured I might as well let him have what he wanted to. I trust him a 100% and we aren''t really doing anything very traditionally so it doesn''t bother me at all that he isn''t going to wear one.

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/19/2008 8:49:55 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl

Date: 8/19/2008 12:29:36 AM
Author: radiantquest
RQ~

My DH is an electrician, too!
1.gif

His company''s policy is that the guys are not supposed to wear any jewelry at all. The reason for this is because most metals used in jewelry are very conductive, and not something you want to be wearing when you''re working around electricity. But, his company doesn''t really enforce the policy, especially when it comes to wedding rings, and most of the guys (DH included) wear their rings to work every day.

DH is very attached to his ring. It''s pretty beat up after three years of him banging it around, and I keep offering to replace it, but he completely refuses to even consider this. In fact, it''s hard for me to get him to take it off long enough for me to clean it! LOL! I don''t really think he would feel comfortable not wearing it to work. But, he does have some scary stories about other electricians and what happened to their wedding rings, so I do worry about that sometimes!
32.gif

A funny story about the whole guys-not-wearing-rings issue: When my Mom married her second husband, he said he wasn''t planning to wear his ring, because most of the guys he worked with didn''t wear theirs. (Keep in mind, there really wasn''t much of a reason for this ~ they simply chose not to wear them.) So, my Mom said, ''Fine, then I won''t wear one either!'' Needless to say, that convinced him to wear it! LOL!
2.gif
Yet another wife of an electrician here.
35.gif
My husband doesn''t wear his (for the reasons already mentioned) and at first it bothered me but now I understand his reasons for it. He also doesn''t wear it when he''s working out. He pretty much keeps it on his key ring so he can slip it on and off when he needs to wear it.
1.gif
I know that even though he doesn''t wear it all the time he treasures it... and more importantly... he loves me. He doesn''t need a ring to tell anyone he''s married because I know how proud he is to be my husband. Anyone who is around him more than 5 minutes will probably hear about me.
1.gif

The first thing I do when I get home is take off my jewelry so I can sort of understand why there are times he isn''t comfortable wearing his ring. Over the weekend we were doing more work to our house (in the middle of a renovation) and I saw he was wearing his ring (had put it on for church that morning). I asked him why he didn''t take it off and he said "I want to wear it... I don''t get to wear it that much".

When we were first married it bothered me a lot and I was always reminding him to put it on. Now it just doesn''t seem that big of deal. A ring is a symbol of our marriage but our marriage is built on more than whether or not either of us are wearing our rings. When I was a single girl I met a guy in a bar and spent the evening talking to him (just talking... I promise). At the end of the night the bill came and he reached into his pocket to get his wallet and I noticed that something fell on the floor... I went to pick it up and guess what?!?!??! it was his wedding ring!. I handed it back to him and told him that I thought his wife might appreciate it if he''d put his ring back on. What a jerk... I felt so sorry for his wife.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neither of my parents ever wore rings (they didn't even exchange them!) so it doesn't make me thing anything of men in general who don't wear rings. Mine are still married, so it works for them!

But I do admit that I LOVE that my hubby loves to wear his!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results