shape
carat
color
clarity

Men and diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/8/2004 2:31:56 PM
Author:marqoid
I am going to be married within the next year and am custom designing a wedding band for myself (the groom). I plan to have diamonds; they are great little things, but there seems to be an opinion that men should typically stay away from diamonds. How many/big diamonds can a man wear? Should a man wear diamonds or is this reserved as an elegance for women only? Can wearing diamonds be a masculine thing? Anyone have any thoughts?
marqoid,
GO FOR IT !!! of course buy yourself a diamond ring. don't you know diamonds are a guy's best friend?
2.gif
i had a 3.34 ct rb mounted on a gent's ring; but it's too big for me. since then it has been remounted into a ladies' ring. i probably love diamonds as much as the ladies here on PS, my prefer size is 2.5 ct. rb H VS 2 or SI 1, but these sizes have gone up a lot in price in the last 9 months. hopefully they'll come back down a little. and if i have the extra money, i will definitely buy one.i don't care, you can call me a sissy, or whatever you want.

ps. i will accept any donations from the members on PS towards my diamond purchase.
31.gif

marqoid

Rough_Rock
Fire,
Thanks for the reassurance. Wow, a man wearing 3 ct. That''s huge!!! I would love to have a stone that big; they fascinate me. I was only planning on .5ct, but I want as big as I can afford(with quality of course). As it is, I am always holding my fiances hand, not to hold her hand, but to look at her diamond. Likewise, I''m open to any donations.

Marqoid

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Marquoid:

In response to this "As it is, I am always holding my fiances hand, not to hold her hand, but to look at her diamond. "

That is a tad scary!

marqoid

Rough_Rock
Just a figure of speech... No worries.
28.gif

suzanneblack

Rough_Rock
hi -- in my former life, i didn''t necessarily think that men should wear diamonds -- but now that my boyfriend has a ring with his family crest with a few diamonds in it, i know that he likes them and i appreciate and respect his desires !! so i now like them ! i think you should do what you want -- if you''re asking whether people will stare at you, laugh behind your back and talk about you for days --- who cares !! ;-)
41.gif
31.gif

reena -- you''re funny

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2004 12:52:16 AM
Author: marqoid
Fire,
Thanks for the reassurance. Wow, a man wearing 3 ct. That''s huge!!! I would love to have a stone that big; they fascinate me. I was only planning on .5ct, but I want as big as I can afford(with quality of course). As it is, I am always holding my fiances hand, not to hold her hand, but to look at her diamond. Likewise, I''m open to any donations.

Marqoid
Marqoid
a .50 ct will make a beautiful men''s ring just be sure to buy a nicely cut stone.i love to stare at my wife''s ring too,but most of the time she wears her 1.15 ct,she said the 3 ct is too big to wear everyday.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/8/2004 4:36:27 PM
Author: reena
well, as everyone has said it''s a totally personal thing, and so i''m completely down with the guys here who have diamonds in their w-bands.

but, since you asked for opinons---mine, personally?

there''s only one type of rock-hard accessory i want to see my FI sporting, and it''s definitely not a diamond.
31.gif
6.gif
2.gif

in all seriousness, good luck with whatever you choose.
reena
you naughty girl
2.gif

i think your post got MMM all excited
31.gif
until now i thought only diamonds can get her excited....LOL

chas

Rough_Rock
marqoid,

Do It! If you like diamonds there is nothing wrong with that. I personally wear two diamond rings. I bought a Superbcert as well as and Eightstar and had each one set in custom made settings by my friend Mark Morrell.

CHAS

Fudge

Rough_Rock
I'm with Reena on this one.
2.gif

Where I live (in the gay district of a major city), it's an identifying feature of homosexuality (like running with your shirt off or having a higher heel on your shoe), and to be perfectly honest, I would not want people thinking that my husband was gay. Unless you're a rap star or French, the average gay or straight person alike outside a diamond-lover's board is going to question your sexuality, no matter how masculine you are - in their heads or to each other, not to your face. If you're comfortable with that, then I'd say go for it. Many diamondphiles will appreciate your purchase.

Sorry to be blunt and stereotypical, but this is what I believe...it's easy to say who cares what other people think, but like having a luxury car, most people really do care a little about showing off and others' reactions (hence the eye candy forum).

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/9/2004 5:54:55 AM
Author: Kylee
2.gif

and to be perfectly honest, I would not want people thinking that my husband was gay.....

Hmmm - You may actually start a new trend for some gals. It used to be said that a man with a wedding ring was more attractive to other women looking for flings (safe, good man, etc..). Now if other women think hey is gay - they won't try anything - other than to ask his opinion about their shoes. New marketing idea for Women? Diamonds For Your Husband - "He's gay - so forget about it"

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
"Unless you''re a rap star or French"
OK- I just wet my pants again! LOL

reena

Ideal_Rock
Where I live (in the gay district of a major city), it''s an identifying feature of homosexuality (like running with your shirt off or having a higher heel on your shoe), and to be perfectly honest, I would not want people thinking that my husband was gay. Unless you''re a rap star or French, the average gay or straight person alike outside a diamond-lover''s board is going to question your sexuality, no matter how masculine you are - in their heads or to each other, not to your face.
LOL!!!

coffee . . . dripping . . . down . . . screen . . . .

reena

Ideal_Rock
forget reeyonce--my new signature may have to be "friends don''t let friends wear guy-monds."

(LOL--i am totally JK. i just can''t resist a good (or in this case a bad) pun.)

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Reena and Kylee---------I have needed a good belly-laugh for months..................THANK YOU
emteeth.gif

Oh and I agree----I live in NYC and am thinking ..........so Chelsea

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
GUYMONDS! You guys are hilarious.

I can see if now, my fi walking down the aisle in "man"dals, slipping on his "guy"mond wedding band, Barbara Streisand playing in the backround.

reena

Ideal_Rock
oh no, you said the M word!!!
32.gif
mandals are strictly prohibited in my house!

Fudge

Rough_Rock
omg LOL you guys.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock

And think about the other possible benefits – gay men will start offering your Husband suggestions for dressing better, tips for home decorating, how to prepare gourmet meals… maybe even teach him how to dance…

“Honey – are you leaving for your trip to Las Vegas for the business convention this week? Are you wearing your ring? No – I mean the other ring….and don’t forget to pack your Dolce & Gabbana clothes…

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
I love you guys... mandals... guymonds.... HA!!
Reena- we have to hang out girl, you crack me up!

rfath

Shiny_Rock
I don''t find it particularly unattractive for a man to wear a diamond ring, wedding or otherwise. My fiance (man, it''s weird to be saying that!) is looking at a platinum band with tiny black diamonds bead set into the ring. It looks quite nice on him!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t care if men wear diamond, why should all the fun be relegated only to women?!

My hubby has a diamond in his wedding ring, it''s a tension set titanium and gold ring. The diamond is .38c. It''s beautiful and he gets tons of compliments on it. He may have been able to go a bit larger, aka .50c but I think anything bigger than that and he would have felt it was a bit odd. But the ring showcases his stone nicely. I''ll try to post a picture later today when I have some more time.

That said, I adore the Benchmark channel style rings for both men and women (someone posted something similar earlier), aka rows of diamonds with metal in between. I don''t know about big honking stones for men (sorry VT!) because to me that''s almost too feminine, but I like smaller stones into a ring (just don''t do a pinky ring style!) or something like the tension set because it''s modern and doesn''t look unmasculine.

My two cents!! :) Have fun.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh god---mandals!!!!

What''s worse is when straight men wear them thinking they''re being stylish, but instead they''re exposing the world to their hairy, horn-tipped feet.

If you *must* wear a mandal, get a pedicure first!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2004 11:59
6.gif
7 AM
Author: Mara
I don't care if men wear diamond, why should all the fun be relegated only to women?!

My hubby has a diamond in his wedding ring, it's a tension set titanium and gold ring. The diamond is .38c. It's beautiful and he gets tons of compliments on it. He may have been able to go a bit larger, aka .50c but I think anything bigger than that and he would have felt it was a bit odd. But the ring showcases his stone nicely. I'll try to post a picture later today when I have some more time.

That said, I adore the Benchmark channel style rings for both men and women (someone posted something similar earlier), aka rows of diamonds with metal in between. I don't know about big honking stones for men (sorry VT!) because to me that's almost too feminine, but I like smaller stones into a ring (just don't do a pinky ring style!) or something like the tension set because it's modern and doesn't look unmasculine.

My two cents!! :) Have fun.
Heya Mara,

Your hubster's bling was displayed & praised on page 1. Very nice.

It's interesting to hear this discourse from the ladies - I think that girls look at random ring fingers more than most guys (well, more for the fashion aspect anyway!).

In my experience, a man's individual taste determines what he sports there. I don't think "we" think to worry about implications on that count. My she-friends ask why I don't have a diamond ring sometimes (they know my circumstance with WF), but my buds never even think to think about it. Maybe one day I'll get a guymond - I've considered it - and we'll see what the boyz say then.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha thanks for the reality check John, I skimmed down that page 1 and didn''t even see it. This was pre-coffee this morning.
32.gif

The ring is very cool, I''m so glad we did it...at first it seemed really modern to have a diamond in his ring but it suits him and the compliments he gets are almost more than I get on MY ring!!! Can''t have that!
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m with Reena on this one.
2.gif

Where I live (in the gay district of a major city), it''s an identifying feature of homosexuality (like running with your shirt off or having a higher heel on your shoe), and to be perfectly honest, I would not want people thinking that my husband was gay. Unless you''re a rap star or French, the average gay or straight person alike outside a diamond-lover''s board is going to question your sexuality, no matter how masculine you are - in their heads or to each other, not to your face. If you''re comfortable with that, then I''d say go for it. Many diamondphiles will appreciate your purchase.

Sorry to be blunt and stereotypical, but this is what I believe...it''s easy to say who cares what other people think, but like having a luxury car, most people really do care a little about showing off and others'' reactions (hence the eye candy forum).
kylee,
okay, i can probably guess the city you live in. SF california, right?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I live in the SF Bayarea and metrosexuals abound here. I have guy friends who are straight who are more into fashion than I am....so unfortunately it's hard to stereotype in an area like this.
9.gif

Also, Greg's ring stands out but it's not like some big blinking neon sign...it's actually subtle unless it catches light and sparkles. Alot of guys at his work have stopped in him the hall or elevator and admired the ring and kind of stared wistfully at their own normal platinum bands...hehe. He, of course, being a Leo, LOVES the attn.

Previously, I was more along the lines of 'diamonds are for girls' but he carries it off pretty well and again in this area, it's not totally unheard of!

Mandals in the Italian leather sense are a big no no, but if the guy doesn't have gross hairy feet then there's honestly nothing sexier to me than a good looking guy in a teeshirt, a pair of jeans and flip flops. Yummmmyyyy.
11.gif
Needless to say...I try to lay out this outfit for Greg every summer evening.
31.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
okay girls, send me all your gay,lesbian or AC/DC diamonds.
9.gif
i''ll wear them. it doesn''t bother me at all. the biggest diamond i''ve seen someone wearing is a 5+ ct. RB.
6.gif
and it was an elderly man. and i don''t think he was gay.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2004 9
6.gif
6:12 AM
Author: moremoremore
''Unless you''re a rap star or French''
OK- I just wet my pants again! LOL
MMM
you ran out of depents ???LOL.... is that what you call it ??? those female diaper.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2004 9:22:35 AM
Author: reena
forget reeyonce--my new signature may have to be ''friends don''t let friends wear guy-monds.''

(LOL--i am totally JK. i just can''t resist a good (or in this case a bad) pun.)
reena

did you meant to say.... GAY-monds or GUY-monds ? i can''t find either of those words in the dictionary.
33.gif
33.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
oh yeah, i''m quite into men in flip-flops too. it''s VERY jcrew model.
30.gif
(and VERY different from those scary brown leather foot slings...
32.gif
)

vtiggs: i meant to say GUYmonds, like guy+diamonds? it''s a bad pun, i know.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results