shape
carat
color
clarity

Melee and Micropave

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
I have been in touch with Leon Mege about possibly doing my setting for my new pet rock. I'm talking to both Leon and Quest.
36.gif
Whichever jeweler I decide to go with, the ball is going to get rolling by early next week.

I am planning on having an E-W basket setting like the one in these Leon earrings with a single row of pave on a very thin shank.

Leon suggested that because my stone is an antique cut, that I should consider using single cut melee as opposed to full-cut (0.025 mm) stones.

I haven't seen single-cut stones in person. The only pictures I've been able to find are of side stones that are larger than what we would be using for the micropave.

How do you think this will alter the "look" of the pave? I'm assuming it will be less sparkly / bling-y? More subtle? Can anyone post pictures? Would love another opinion!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
It tiny melee that small my eyes cannot tell a difference. I kinda like the idea of using single cut melee with the old stone b/c it''s closer to how it would have looked if it was an antique. But Quest used full cut melee with my OEC and it worked beautifully. I don''t think one is better. Which is cheaper
31.gif

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
Full-cut stones are cheaper by $200 per carat.
2.gif
The ring will probably only have about 0.5 carat of stones, so it''s really not a big price difference. But, as hubby would say, every little bit helps!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Why are full cut stones cheaper? Single cut would probably look really good with such an old looking diamond!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2006 11:51:29 AM
Author:tiger007g

How do you think this will alter the ''look'' of the pave? [with single cuts] I''m assuming it will be less sparkly / bling-y?

No. The opposite - under 2mm, single cut diamonds are quite a bit brighter because the facets are larger than on a round brilliant. In that size, this is a good thing. Because the minuscule facets of a RBC that small deliver less visible glitter.

The are precision ''ideal'' cut single cut melee these days, and if you get to see some jewelry made with such stones I am sure you will be impressed. A few designers use them (? one is on the list at Pearlman''s, but there are others). And these stones are more often found in diamond-set watches.

IMO, of course... but I am not the only one to hold this view. I''ve heard the same being said often and it is quite obvious, really.
My 2c

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2006 12:41:01 PM
Author: indecisive
Why are full cut stones cheaper? Single cut would probably look really good with such an old looking diamond!

These idea single cuts are a specialty product, so to speak. Until a few years ago I knew they are only cut for watch makers. Only recently I've seen them turn up in some exotic jewelry designer lines.

As far as I know.

Pictures don't do a good job at all showing the difference between micropave with single and full cut diamonds... And the effect is not that subtle either - on pieces with multiple rows of micropave, the difference is quite striking.
30.gif

Hope the 2c worth helps somehow (except annoying everyone with detail overload
38.gif
)

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 1:34:57 PM
Author: valeria101

Date: 2/9/2006 11:51:29 AM
Author:tiger007g

How do you think this will alter the ''look'' of the pave? [with single cuts] I''m assuming it will be less sparkly / bling-y?

No. The opposite - under 2mm, single cut diamonds are quite a bit brighter because the facets are larger than on a round brilliant. In that size, this is a good thing. Because the minuscule facets of a RBC that small deliver less visible glitter.

The are precision ''ideal'' cut single cut melee these days, and if you get to see some jewelry made with such stones I am sure you will be impressed. A few designers use them (? one is on the list at Pearlman''s, but there are others). And these stones are more often found in diamond-set watches.

IMO, of course... but I am not the only one to hold this view. I''ve heard the same being said often and it is quite obvious, really.
My 2c
Re: the ''ideal cut'' melee. I asked Pete at Quest about those when looking to get my e-ring reset. It wasn''t going to be single cut but full cut ideals and in the end I felt it would bring up the cost of the ring significantly. Now I am wondering what the visual different between premium and ideal full cut melee looks like.
33.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2006 1:39:28 PM
Author: Princess V

Now I am wondering what the visual different between premium and ideal full cut melee looks like.

I don't think there is any strict standard... so, no idea what Quest calls by one or another name. Too bad they don't post here
15.gif
to answer themselves. Can you still ask?

In the previous post 'Ideal single cut melee" refers to single cut diamonds (16 facets) cut to proportions that maximize brilliance. The flea-sized goods also come with amazingly precise symmetry and matching - but those properties always seem to go together - I haven't seen, say, batches of melee with nice proportions but mangled symmetry.
34.gif

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
Wow... I had no idea!

Valeria, you are a fountain of knowledge!
9.gif

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
Valeria''s posts are right on target. While it''s not commonplace, well-executed micropave with single cut melee is quite beautiful and kind of makes a statement about the level of detail and craftsmanship that went into the piece. I''ve seen connoisseurs of fine jewelry get a bit excited when they see it.
Bill

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 2:04:11 PM
Author: valeria101

Date: 2/9/2006 1:39:28 PM
Author: Princess V

Now I am wondering what the visual different between premium and ideal full cut melee looks like.

I don''t think there is any strict standard... so, no idea what Quest calls by one or another name. Too bad they don''t post here
15.gif
to answer themselves. Can you still ask?

In the previous post ''Ideal single cut melee'' refers to single cut diamonds (16 facets) cut to proportions that maximize brilliance. The flea-sized goods also come with amazingly precise symmetry and matching - but those properties always seem to go together - I haven''t seen, say, batches of melee with nice proportions but mangled symmetry.
34.gif
I think that''s what was meant...ideal cut melee have little H&A symmetry. I''m a dork I know...the first thing I did was to hold up the H&A viewer to some of the melee in my ring. But what was used in mine was ''premium'' cut. It just seems that they are soooooo teeny it''d be hard to see a difference! Pretty cool though, pretty cool.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results