shape
carat
color
clarity

Meet the new horse, Luke

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Earlier this year as some may remember, I lost my dear 27 year old Morgan horse Taz due to a sudden colic emergency. It was a heartbreaking loss because he was so healthy and sound and had never had any major problems until then. My fiance'' had just proposed to me, so I had the best and worst days of my life within a week of each other. I''ve been pouring all my grief and attention into my Thoroughbred Chance, and he''s been a blessing to me in recovering from such a sad time. My mother has been missing Taz so much too, and "empty stall syndrome" led her to surfing online horse ads in search of a new friend for her and Chance. After looking at a few ads and one animal in person, and debating between a full sized horse, a pony, or a mini, she finally found a horse that seems to meet my strict standards for what would be an appropriate horse for her and for Chance. Mom has not seen him yet in person, but when I visited him yesterday I knew she would love him instantly.
30.gif

This is Go Manilto, aka Luke. Luke is an older Paint gelding who is a laidback, "been there done that" kind of guy. He is about 15.1 and is 18 years old but looks about ten, and was not working out for a trail riding group because even though he is levelheaded and beginner safe, he would prefer to be in a place where he gets more spoiling and attention. He has done team penning, camping and Michigan coast-to-coast rides, and he was a Sheriff''s Posse horse for a few years. He is very well broken in and quiet, just what I was looking for for my folks. I think he will make a good friend for Chance and will be sane and safe for either of my parents to ride. I feel like I will be okay with him taking up residence in Taz''s old stall, because his sweet temperment and easy going attitude are very much like what my old Morgan had. He will be arriving at his new home tomorrow, where hopefully he and Chance will get along without any major bossing about and squealing.

This is Luke at the trail operation, which to me and FI was little more than some fencing and a barn put up in the middle of a big thicket. He was turned out all the time there, and will be coming home to a large grass pasture and a comfy box stall across from Chance. He''s a little on the thinner side of what I would prefer, but my guess is that will be fixed quickly when Mom pops so many carrots into him after he comes home with her.
2.gif

luke5.jpg

luke6.jpg

luke.jpg

luke2.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Aw, yay, he is absolutely beautiful!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I''m soooo happy for you!!!!!! I know this won''t lessen the pain of losing Taz, but I hope Luke does bring lots of NEW joy into your life!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - he is GORGEOUS! Still very sorry about the loss of Taz, but I'm sure Luke will manage to take over a very special place in your heart too!

BTW, the mane on his forehead makes me think of blond surfer boy bangs -- how CUTE!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

A gorgeous blonde! Looks like a sweetie too! Glad you found him!

cheers--Sharon

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! He''s beautiful!! He is skinny, but not dangerously so. I''m sure you and your family will plump him up in no time with treats and goodies!

My family had 2 horses and a pony when I was younger, and Dakota, our Quarter horse/pony mix (sweetest horse in the world!!) had to be put down after a sudden emergency bout with colic, so I understand your pain in losing Taz. I was in 3rd or 4th grade when it happened.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a handsome guy!!! I hope you bring each other much joy!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
He is a gorgeous horse!!! I know he will bring you lots of joy and happiness. And will be a great new friend to you and your mom. Awesome pics!!!
36.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
What a pretty boy!

I like his "little leg warmers"!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhhhh, I want to kiss all up and down that beeUtiful white blaze on that fantastic face.
30.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
What a heartbreaker!!! Those socks and blaze make him too cute!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Oh he is just beautiful!!!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for the nice comments on Luke. He really seems very sweet and I think he may be just the thing for Mom. She''ll fall head over heels for him when we go to pick him up tomorrow.

Dee*Jay - I thought the same thing about his blond forelock, it''s like surfer boy bangs. Now if I think about him being able to talk, I imagine his voice to be like the sea turtle Crush in Finding Nemo.
9.gif
LOL

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely new horse you have there, equestrienne! I grew up with an apaloosa named "Cricket" and several other horses my family boarded for folks...our niece and my SIL are also very involved in horses now, and the man who introduced me to my DH insures thoroughbreds...so I guess you could say I''m a horse lover too! Luke is really beautiful--thanks for sharing your pictures!
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
THUD!!!!!!!!!!! HE'S BRAD PITT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my, what a gorgeous fella! I am so happy you are going to give this lovely guy such a wonderful home! Yay for you Equi!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Actually to my eyes he doesn't look skinny but a healthy weight - we tend to be obsessed with keeping horses quite trim here due to the dreaded L word.

Ha Moresie, loving the little leg warmers!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
he''s gorgeous! give him a carrot for me, please!
movie zombie

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, how lucky your family is! He seems so sweet...

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2006 3:12:47 AM
Author: Lorelei
THUD!!!!!!!!!!! HE''S BRAD PITT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my, what a gorgeous fella! I am so happy you are going to give this lovely guy such a wonderful home! Yay for you Equi!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Actually to my eyes he doesn''t look skinny but a healthy weight - we tend to be obsessed with keeping horses quite trim here due to the dreaded L word.

Ha Moresie, loving the little leg warmers!
LOL, Lorelei! Actually, I was teasing my mother that Luke looks like another Hollywood blonde. I said Owen Wilson, with a better nose.
1.gif
He is very flashy, and a very mellow fellow as horses go. He was in a small corral with another horse when we went to pick him up, and as soon as he turned around and Mom saw his blonde mane, she just died.
30.gif
All the way home, I could tell how excited she was about him.

L word - LARD?
9.gif
Hahaha... He''s a bit skinnier than in the pics above, which we got from the seller by email. He has been eating only grass and hay so he''s a tad ribby but not horribly so, and he has a small hay belly and needs a little more covering his topline. He''ll put on weight quickly now that he is home and Mom can fuss over him and love on him like he has been missing. He would have been a great trail horse for the seller''s business if he weren''t so unhappy with the lack of one-on-one attention.

He seems like he will get along well with my other horse. Luke and Chance spent the afternoon eating hay and eyeballing each other across the barn aisle and when we put them out together last night they were fine. Chance is a bit unfit and ran himself into a sweat prancing around and zooming up to Luke to sniff him and figure him out. Luke tolerated him well, no pinned ears or kicks, just a few little squeals and some posturing. They did settle down and eat after about a half hour. I was so relieved that they got along well.
face9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh thats great news he is home and has made friends with Chance!!!!! He will be happy now that he will get the love and attention he craves!
36.gif
36.gif
I love it when they squeal and posture, they always look so handsome! Well it sounds like you are home and dry with the intro period! I bet your Mom did go nuts when she saw him, I can imagine she will be stocking up on new brushes and mane and tail conditioners etc to make him even more gorgeous! He really is beautiful! Please keep us posted on progress and I am so happy Chance likes his new bud!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
I know what you mean about the posturing and the herd intro, hee hee. Chance is usually a bit timid and is more on the quiet side, but while meeting Luke last night he was prancing and galloping about and arching his neck and he looked gorgeous. Luke just wanted to eat and he kept turning away, but Chance was fascinated with him and wanted to be nose to nose. He seems much happier with a friend to be with now.

LOL, I think you know my mother very well Lorelei. She''s been obsessing over his surfer boy mane and tail already, talking about how she can''t wait for Luke''s tail to grow in nice and full since roughing it on the trails has thinned it out. We have always used a concentrate product called Healthy Hair Care Mane and Tail Conditioner on our horses. It''s pink and it dilutes with water to make a spray on conditioner and detangler for coats, manes and tails. Works great, doesn''t leave residue, and smells great, too.

Oh, and we have two little girls who keep their horses and animals next door at their grandparents'' place and they came by last night to see Luke. They loved him! Just like my mom, as soon as he turned and they saw the blonde mane and forelock, the oooohs and ahhhhs started.
2.gif
The littler strawberry blonde one is about 7 now and is just fearless and adorable on her pony mare. We were teasing her that Luke''s mane matched her hair color. The older girl is 14 and is having trouble with her TB doing western training right now. I told her a little about Luke''s background and how he does trail, team penning, had reining training and was a posse horse. She was VERY intently listening, and said how great it would be to ride a responsive horse like that at a show. When I mentioned to her that after Luke settled in a bit, she could go for a ride on him, her grin lit her whole face up. She is a capable young rider, and I think my parents would be comfortable letting her ride him a few times a week under her mother''s or grandmother''s supervision in the small ring next door or with me down the road. Luke''s going to have so many girls loving all over him, he''ll be so spoiled.
28.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha - thats wonderful and Luke is every little girls'' dream horse! Hee hee I know exactly what you mean about your Mom, I have a gorgeous Palomino who is golden with a silver blonde mane and tail and I have more beauty products for him than I do for my own hair! I never pull or trim manes and tails as I prefer the natural look, especially with our natives, all the more excuse to coddle and condition and fuss over their ''dos!!!

I have a feeling Luke has found the home of his dreams
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh, My!!! He''s gorgeous!!

... He''s a bit skinnier than in the pics above, which we got from the seller by email. He has been eating only grass and hay so he''s a tad ribby but not horribly so, and he has a small hay belly and needs a little more covering his topline.
Any chance of seeing more pictures of him? It would be fun to follow his progress "shaping up" and becoming even MORE gorgeous...

widget

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
beautiful horse! Sounds like a good sweet disposition too :) I second the "fattening up" picture request.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh, he is gorgeous, and I know you will take wonderful care of him!!! Congrats!

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi equestrienne ~
emrose.gif

Congratulations on your newest sweetheart! He will make a handsome addition!
36.gif

He is definately a cutie pie who I know will be loved by many!
30.gif

I am so happy that he will have a great life w/ you! Not only will he get the needed emotional attention, I am sure he will physically get what he needs from you.
emthup.gif

Glad to hear that Chance & Luke are getting along ... I am sure they will become best friends before you know it!
face23.gif

Post more
emphoto.gif
''s when you have time. He sure is a looker!

Have a happy day!
35.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Equestrienne, it sounds like things are working out swimmingly and that your horses will be the best of friends in no time. As soon you as you have a chance we would love some more pics (of both of them!) please!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Today my mom talked to the man who was Luke''s owner for 15 years. Apparently this guy relocated for business and CRIED when he had to leave Luke in Michigan, and he is extremely happy about Luke''s new home since the last place was not for him. Mom got a lot of background information on her new friend from him.

The man''s daughter is my age and she is now married, but as a young girl she did very well in the show ring with Luke and brought home boxfuls of ribbons in all kinds of Western riding and showmanship. After the daughter went to college, this guy started using him in mounted police and posse, and Luke did parades and police work with him for a long time. He was a fabulous "bombproof" mount for this kind of work. Are you ready for this? It''ll give you goosebumps... He said the worst incident they ever had to attend to was a 15 car pile up on the icy winter expressway on Michigan''s west side. He arrived with Luke and they walked into a snowy mess. Cars twisted, shattered glass, flames, people crying out, and blaring sirens all around them. He was a bit nervous going in to help out, but not Luke. Luke walked calmly and carefully down into the thick of the accident scene and helped locate and rescue the crash victims without batting an eye. Wow, what a cool horse! *insert SWOON over heroic surfer boy here*
9.gif

Apparently Luke also likes to go swimming.
37.gif
The family took him and their other two horses camping regularly along Lake Michigan and a certain somebody would tear off into the water and go for a dip with the guy laughing on his back the whole way. He loves to play and splash and swim in streams and lakes, after carefully testing the bottom first.

My mom related all of this to me excitedly this morning. "You did a great job selecting this horse, you picked a real winner!" she said.
1.gif
I am glad she is so excited about him and is looking forward to taking some basic lessons with our dressage trainer soon. She wants a little help as she begins to figure him out and see what he can do, and I totally agree. I only have a few photos of him right now as far as the pic requests go, but I can upload what I have and you guys can watch him fill out and get gorgeous from here. We are also supposed to get some older photos and previous vet records from the man this week, so maybe I will have more to share then. Won''t be a problem - Chance was a rescue horse and we started with him at about 800 pounds and deathly ill, so if we can help him recover from that Luke will be easy.

Luke outside sampling the grass:
LukesFirstDay001.jpg

LukesFirstDay002.jpg

Hey, isn''t that Owen Wilson?
2.gif

LukesFirstDay004.jpg

Not the best picture, but I saved it so that I can use it for reference later as he puts on weight. Ribs and topline need more meat on ''em.
LukesFirstDay005.jpg

And this is the lovestruck puppy look that Chance was giving him all night. This was before the sweaty, dirty, chunky boy got a bath, though he probably looks just like this again today because he can''t stay clean for more than five minutes. We''ve timed it.
20.gif

LukesFirstDay003.jpg

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
He''s VERY handsome! Congratulations!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see better from those pics, he does lack a bit of condition and could do with his topline building up a bit too, but this will come with the right care which I know he will get, plus the special attention and love he craves. Oh goodness, that story about the accident - he is one very special boy. I am so happy you found him and can give this precious the great life he deserves.

Dirty boy looks like he loves his new bud - what is it with greys and light coloured horses that they love to be filthy??? Mine is the same! He loves nothing better than a nice roll in a wet mud patch when I have just finished grooming him....or dung stains will do if he is in...
emotion-39.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Horse''s ...
emlove.gif

They are Magnificient, Beautiful and Courageous!

Looks like Luke has gone from "Baltic Ave. to Boardwalk!"

I am sure he''s a thinkin'' ... "Wow! Look at all this green grass, yummm!"

If I could, I would come right over and give him a bucket of oats, an apple, and some carrots & a big fat
emlips.gif
!

I am looking forward to
emphoto.gif
''s of Luke & Chance ... they are both sweet
emlove.gif
''s
!

Thanks for sharing with us, Take care, and have a wonderful week!
35.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best of luck with Luke. He looks like such a sweetheart.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results