color
clarity

Media blue fluorescence stone, reserve or return ?pls help me

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 3:10:17 PM
Author: feidudu
Hi,guys. I think I find my answer . I took a pic moment ago as follows .
Even under the sunlight ,I can still see the bottom of the setting . I think a cloudy stone can not do this .
I hope I am right
To give you an idea, below is the diamond owned by expert David Atlas ( he posts here as OldMiner) which features extremely strong blue fluorescence.

oldminersbd.jpg

Firestone

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/20/2010 3:17:34 PM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 3/20/2010 3:09:08 PM

Author: Firestone

Date: 3/20/2010 2:58:23 PM

It is really quite simple.

This poster has just purchased an E VS2 diamond with medium fluorescence if I am reading the title and first sentence of the post correctly. I also take it from that post and their second one that they are otherwise pleased with it but are concerned that it looks cloudy outside. As for the stone looking blue, I also ascertain from a latter post that this is to them a desirable feature of the diamond, also all diamonds do reflect the blue of the sky - nothing can be done about that.

Medium blue fluorescence is apparently rarely responsible for making a stone look cloudy, therefore there are other possibilities such as the stone being dirty or other scenarios - however as we are in no real position to judge here on an internet forum, if the poster otherwise likes the diamond, then taking it to an independant appraiser would quickly tell him if in the rare instance there is a problem, or far more likely not.

I didn''t catch the color grade was listed. Based on the title of the thread, I suspect the person knows the stone has fluorescence. High color grades such as E with strong fluorescence have been known to look cloudy. I wonder if the fluorescence is stronger than medium or if medium fluorescence with an E is causing a little cloudiness.

There is a possibility, abeit extremely remote, that the fluorescence is stronger than stated on the report but this would be very unusual and even more unusual that it is having a negative effect on the stone. But as it would appear the OP otherwise likes the diamond, an appraiser would soon be able to tell them what the situation is. SB fluorescence can apparently cause cloudiness in the rare cases it is an issue in even near colourless diamonds.

As Sara stated above, GIA wanted to do a study on strong/ extremely strongly fluorescent diamonds which did display effects such as cloudiness, but out of the 26,010 sample stones with strong/ extremely strong blue fluorescence they obtained, they were unable to find enough that were cloudy in order to make such a study worthwhile.

If you would like to read GIA''s article on fluorescence, I have linked it for you here.
I read that GIA study a while back and wanted to reread it but the link is dead.

My recollection is that that study was saying that lower color grades with strong/ex strong fluorescent did not usually exhibit cloudiness but that cloudiness could occur with the colorless color grades. The issue of cloudiness and the issue of turning blue in sunlight are two different things. Even if no cloudiness resulted from the fluorescence, it will look blue in sunlight.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 3:27:00 PM

I read that GIA study a while back and wanted to reread it but the link is dead.

My recollection is that that study was saying that lower color grades with strong/ex strong fluorescent did not usually exhibit cloudiness but that cloudiness could occur with the colorless color grades. The issue of cloudiness and the issue of turning blue in sunlight are two different things. Even if no cloudiness resulted from the fluorescence, it will look blue in sunlight.
Yes, sorry about that - I didn''t link it properly and edited, here it is again below for you,

http://lgdl.gia.edu/pdfs/W97_fluoresce.pdf

Firestone

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/20/2010 3:29:15 PM

Yes, sorry about that - I didn''t link it properly and edited, here it is again below for you,

That link doesn''t work for me. Does it work for you.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Works for me.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Please keep the focus on the OP''s original question. A different thread should be started if you want to discuss politely the different opinions about fluorescence.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 3:32:06 PM

Hmmmm....

Seems ok to me, try this. I will link the page where it came from, click where it says GIA Survey in the middle of the page and you should be able to access it that way.

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-flourescence/

starshine

Shiny_Rock

It works for me...it''s a PDF. Thanks Lorelei!

riley2010

Rough_Rock
I am in the same boat... kinda. I just purchased this diamond and it has distinct fluorescence. I Knew what the risk was buying this ring but I am not sure if this is too strong of a blue color. I like it and I think my girlfriend will as well. What do you guys thing?

uin sun close up.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 3:38:02 PM
Author: starshine

It works for me...it''s a PDF. Thanks Lorelei!
You are most welcome Star, its good reading!!
35.gif

riley2010

Rough_Rock
another pic

in sun close up2.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 3:39:22 PM
Author: riley2010
I am in the same boat... kinda. I just purchased this diamond and it has distinct fluorescence. I Knew what the risk was buying this ring but I am not sure if this is too strong of a blue color. I like it and I think my girlfriend will as well. What do you guys thing?
Hi Riley and welcome!

I think it looks like a lovely stone, I personally love fluorescence! What I would suggest, start a new thread in this forum and post all the info you have on your diamond such as depth, table, angles and so on, plus the strength of the fluorescence, and we can help you evaluate your diamond.

riley2010

Rough_Rock
this pic is in the shade

outside shade.JPG

starshine

Shiny_Rock
I think it''s cool!

riley2010

Rough_Rock
Hi feidudu,

I think your stone is fine. Take a look at the pictures i posted and you will see some obvious fluoro. I really do like the way it looks but want to make sure i didnt pay too much for it. This diamond stuff is not easy!

well, good luck with your stone.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a D w/ SB fluor and I love it! I do think mine has a slightly "dirty" - maybe oily I guess - appearance in direct sun, esp when next to my G w/ no fluor - the G is much more clear. But I love the fluor and desite the haze I think it has I certainly won''t part with it - it''s a great effect!

2173cdc2.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 3:22:30 PM

Date: 3/20/2010 3:10:17 PM
Author: feidudu
Hi,guys. I think I find my answer . I took a pic moment ago as follows .
Even under the sunlight ,I can still see the bottom of the setting . I think a cloudy stone can not do this .
I hope I am right
To give you an idea, below is the diamond owned by expert David Atlas ( he posts here as OldMiner) which features extremely strong blue fluorescence.
And as I omitted to add this information earlier which was an oversight on my part, the diamond in question from the photo posted on the previous page is cloudy we are told as a result of extremely strong fluorescence.

diamond911

Rough_Rock
Hi feidudu

It sounds like we are in the same boat. I am very curious to hear if you brought your diamond to an independent appraiser or did you return it (or keep it)? If you bought another, did it also have fluorescence and is it OK?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results