shape
carat
color
clarity

Measurements of Emerald Cut - Is this OK?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jodi

Rough_Rock
I'm looking at a 2.72 squarish emerald - it looks great in the photo - it's a D color SI1 but the measurements are large on top for the size, 9.04mmx8.45mmx4.21mm to be exact. I've seen some over 3 carats with less on top and more depth, but this stone looks great to the eye in the photo, in the setting. Would this be considered a bad cut for this size emerald cut? Any opinions welcome. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4985482065&fromMakeTrack=true#ebayphotohosting (it's on ebay)

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/13/2005 10:59:33 PM
Author:Jodi
I''m looking at a 2.72 squarish emerald - it looks great in the photo - it''s a D color SI1 but the measurements are large on top for the size, 9.04mmx8.45mmx4.21mm to be exact. I''ve seen some over 3 carats with less on top and more depth, but this stone looks great to the eye in the photo, in the setting. Would this be considered a bad cut for this size emerald cut? Any opinions welcome. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4985482065&fromMakeTrack=true#ebayphotohosting (it''s on ebay)

hi Jodi!! (Great name & you spelled it right!
2.gif
2.gif
)

I recently purchased an EC myself. According to the ebay ad, there isn''t enough information to REALLY determine if this is a good diamond or not. The measurements you''ve included are only the measurements of the diamond itselt, not the table or depth and the seller didn''t include this on the auction listing. Furthermore, I''d be leary of an EC with a SI1 rating. Is there any way you can get the seller to send you a copy of the GIA cert?? If you can get that, you''ll get more info regarding the table/depth, polish/symmetry and where the inclusions physically are located on the diamond.

The dimensions itself aren''t good nor bad...if you like the squarer-shaped ECs then that''s only a personal preference...nothing more...

Jodi

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the reply. I e-mailed him and he said he could fax over the GIA. It is very hard seeing just a photo, but I thought having the measurements told more than they actually do! Thanks for clearing that up. You know, I was thinking that I was in the market for am H VS1-2 (bright enough for me, clear enough for me), but seeing this one, well, I just really liked the look of it and it''s so dern bright I was thinking some of that light might make up for an inclusion or 2, as long as they aren''t smack dab in the middle. I know about the SI1 thing in an emerald...I''m hoping that they are in the sides. We''ll see. Thanks for your help!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
You're welcome!! Let us know what the GIA report says when you get it!!
1.gif
I personally believe for the step-cut stones a VS1 or 2 is a better clarity due to the clean lines of the stone, but if the inclusions are all towards the edges under the prongs, then more power to the SI1 or 2!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jodi,

I don't know the seller but just want to caution you that sometimes an ebay seller will post one picture but send something else that does not even remotely resemble what was advertised. I've never seen an SI2 that clean in a step cut.
I don't see any information on the return policy. Do check out the return policy and make the sale contingent upon appraisal by an independant appraiser. This is a big ticket item and there is so little information. You want to be sure of everything before plunking down all that moolah.

I, too, am now very interested in what the GIA cert contains. Please keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results