shape
carat
color
clarity

Me again...this time need your advice! Cushion setting dilemma...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

overthemoon

Rough_Rock
I'm back! If you'll remember, I came out of lurkerdom and introduced you to my OEC (OMC? - still have to call Dave Atlas...) cushion, and explained my engagement & setting stories (see this: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thank-you-for-your-advice-pics-of-my-new-oec-beauty.64725/ thread). Well, I've worn my new beauty proudly for the past two weeks, and I am realizing I may not have made the best setting choice for my stone.
8.gif

At first I thought the prongs were too "dainty", and wouldn't provide enough of a buffer from everyday contact or the occasional whack and the stone might fall out - but I got over that pretty quickly, as the stone is in fact set good and tight.

I've realized that the real problem is that my stone sits up very high, therefore exposing about 3/4 of it - including the very thin girdle. It's not a prong issue, it's a height and vulnerability issue.

I love love LOVE the setting, and I love that I found it at a local craftsmans' shop...but I'm worrying WAY too much about it. A smaller stone would work PERFECTLY with the setting, as it would sit lower, with less overhang, and be more protected by the prongs.

I can't believe I am actually considering having it re-set. I'm SOOOOOO torn, because it is beautiful and perfect in SOOOOOO many ways. I should add, my DF is completely understanding. His main gift was really the special stone, and he wanted me to set it however I liked. He wants to protect it as much as I do. I figure I could possibly sell (double
8.gif
) the original setting to recoup some of the cost...unless you talk me down from the ledge!

Below are pics of settings I am considering...subtle changes to what I have, really, but more appropriate for my stone and my (very active & slightly clumsy
28.gif
) lifestyle. They both have a "support belt" (not sure what that structure is called) in the basket on/very near the stone's girdle, as well as hefty double-claw prongs for added coverage & security. Am I correct in assuming these details will help? I prefer not to go with a halo, but would consider it if it would make the ring significantly more wearable.

What do you think? THANK YOU, in advance, for your help!

Sincerely,

(slightly frustrated but still very much) "Over The Moon"

overthemoon

Rough_Rock
A beautiful Leon Mege option:

Leon Mege r369 - 311side.jpg

overthemoon

Rough_Rock
Or this stunner from Mark T @ ERD:

MarkT Sophia.jpg

overthemoon

Rough_Rock
Or possibly a halo...suggestions are welcome.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it possible that your jeweler could modify YOUR setting to make it work? I would go that route first as you are not likely to make much back by selling the setting...

Also, not to discourage, but one of those settings will run you $3,000+. So personally I would try to modify the one you have first, it should be fairly doable if you just want to fortify the prongs.

overthemoon

Rough_Rock
Thanks NeatFreak - I''m with you, I''d like to continue to work with them. I went in once to see if we could alter my setting in some way. They said the stone is set as low as possible, and they swear the setting is sturdy and safe. I think they think I''m crazy...

I suppose I could ask if I could flat out return it, and have them custom make another one. This is so hard!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2007 7:42:51 PM
Author: overthemoon
Thanks NeatFreak - I''m with you, I''d like to continue to work with them. I went in once to see if we could alter my setting in some way. They said the stone is set as low as possible, and they swear the setting is sturdy and safe. I think they think I''m crazy...

I suppose I could ask if I could flat out return it, and have them custom make another one. This is so hard!

Have you had it appraised yet? If not, I would bring it to Dave Atlas and see if HE thinks it''s safe. If he says yes then you know you''re being crazy and if he thinks it isn''t safe then you could have more ammo when you bring it back to the store to try and have them modify it for you.

overthemoon

Rough_Rock
I had the loose stone appraised, and then the jeweler who made the setting conducted a second appraisal, so I could have the completed ring insured.

I'll call Dave Atlas in the morning and make an appointment for an appriasal. Then I can get an answer on the OEC/OMC question, as well as get his advice on the setting (and I will be sure to keep you posted...)

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh your ring is SO gorgeous!!!
30.gif
You know, looking at the original pics I don''t think the stone is set *that* high, but rather that the cathedral is a little high. I have no idea if that makes any sense!?! If your FI broke the budget on the stone, and the appraiser says it''s ok, and YOU love it-I''d probably leave it as is.
2.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
OTM, just so you know you''re not alone, I think about this all the time too with my old stone. Mine is set as low as is possible but the girdle is very exposed like yours. However, you are right, in the photo thread I noticed that your stone is set in a cathedral type setting - quite high up. I''m sure it''s as low as it can be in that specific setting but another setting might indeed get it lower and more protected. That said, you learn pretty quickly to be more careful of your left hand, at least I did! But that LM option you showed is very nice! In fact, the next time I''m in NYC I''m going to make an appt with him to see how he could protect my center stone and still keep the same general style. I really like that piece that goes around just below the girdle - I dont know if it protects it or not but it seems like it might. Please let us know what the pros tell you! I''m keeping my eye on your thread...

overthemoon

Rough_Rock
SK - thanks for the kind words! I totally know what you mean about the height of the cathedral setting. It is high, but I don''t mind that part too much - if anything it provides a nice balance because my stone is deep (as compared to a modern cut). I just wish it either sat a bit further into that little basket, or the girdle was more protected (like the alternate designs above).

And, yes - if Dave Atlas says its OK I''ll leave it alone, and I''ll try to stop worrying!
1.gif

Surfgirl - let me know when you''re coming to NYC, we can visit Leon together! Mayber we''ll get a volume deal
2.gif
Even if I don''t end up resetting my stone, I''d love to meet the man!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
It''s a date OTM! Absolutely! Maybe he gives two-fers?

Anyway, depending on what Dave Atlas says, can you take the setting elsewhere to see if it''s possible to drop if any lower into that basket? It seems that it should be able to be dropped down a bit since it looks like you have nearly a stone''s depth of empty space between where the culet should be and the bottom part that rests on your finger. Obviously it cant be dropped below the surprise diamond area but there''s a lot of room for fiddling, or so it seems...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2007 7:31:11 PM
I just want to say, there is more than one way to chip a girlde... it doesn''t have to be something hitting it from straight on the side, it could be hit from above and chip it even in a setting like this. If you want to protect your girdle you should consider a bezel I''m afraid.

Or you can just enjoy it and if anything happens, deal with it then and not now!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
OTM, have you insured your ring yet???

overthemoon

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/16/2007 2:38:41 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 7/15/2007 7:31:11 PM
I just want to say, there is more than one way to chip a girlde... it doesn''t have to be something hitting it from straight on the side, it could be hit from above and chip it even in a setting like this. If you want to protect your girdle you should consider a bezel I''m afraid.

Or you can just enjoy it and if anything happens, deal with it then and not now!
Thanks for the input regarding chips and the setting...I am leaning toward the "enjoy it and if anything happens, deal with it then and not now" mantra.

Plus, as soon as I put it in writing that I was thinking about changing the setting I got a little sad & started to miss my current one!
20.gif
We''ll see...

overthemoon

Rough_Rock
Surfgirl - It's SO insured - from the first day it hit my hot (and again, clumsy
20.gif
) little hand!

I'll gladly meet you in NYC for some diamond immersion therapy - even if I don't change my setting. Wonder if Leon would make my wedding band if he didn't do the e-ring? Either way - what fun!!!!!!

overthemoon

Rough_Rock
I have an update! I visited Dave Atlas today - actually ended up meeting with one of his employees, Chris. It was very interesting, and lots of fun.

First, the results: fortunately, all specs came back as good or better than my last appraisal - and the total value actually calculated slightly higher. It was also very cool to learn about the formulas that go into calculating an appraisal. He confirmed that the stone is, in fact, an Old Mine Cut - and an unusually well-cut one to boot! He commented that in a way I got lucky because the inclusions that make it a VS2 are all around the edges - making the center (most important visually) crystal clear. The fluorescence test was interesting - the main stone has none, but about every fourth or fifth little pave stone came to blue life - which gave the ring a wacky new look!

He calculated the dimensions more accurately than the last appraisal:
7.82 x 7.49 x app 5.4 (hard to tell exactly in current setting)
72% depth
55% table

As far as the prongs, he said they were plenty sturdy, and the stone was locked in good and tight. He said If it would make me feel better I could have them fortified, but he didn't think it necessary. So, my paranoia has officially been laid to rest!
19.gif

Thank you so much for recommending them to me - they were wonderful to deal with! As a gesture of my gratitude, attached are a few more PHOTOS!!!! It's overcast now, so you'll have to settle for inside shots
1.gif

overthemoon

Rough_Rock
A little fire!

More Ring1.JPG

overthemoon

Rough_Rock
I love how square & pillowy it looks from this angle:)

More Ring2.JPG

overthemoon

Rough_Rock
You can see the reflections of the culet in this one. I''m not sure if that''s a good thing or a bad thing, but I think it looks cool!

More Ring3.JPG

overthemoon

Rough_Rock
Semi-profile shot

More Ring4.JPG

overthemoon

Rough_Rock
Great shot of the crystal clear center:) Those wierd blotches at 12:00 and 2:00 must be reflections of the camera(?)

More Ring6.JPG

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear you had Dave''s team look it over! So what did they say about the thin girdle?!? And yeah, we were right, it IS an OMC. Isn''t it funny when you know more than someone who works in a jewelry store?
27.gif
I love that setting for that stone, personally. I think you should just enjoy it and IF anything ever happens to it, deal with it then. At least that''s going to be MY mantra...so wont you join me? Please???

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so glad it all worked out, OTM. It must be a relief! Thanks for the new pics-they are amazing!
36.gif

overthemoon

Rough_Rock
We know more than people who work in two (very reputable) jewelry stores!
2.gif
Believe it!

As far as the girdle, he called it "thin", not "very thin", and said exactly what you all said: if I really want to protect it I''d have to put it in a bezel/halo. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the look of the stone by itself right now...maybe in 20 years when I want a blingier look I''ll put it in a custom halo. For now, I''ll be living the mantra! Ommmmmmm.....

So Surfgirl, I''ve been meaning to ask - are you really a surfer? Some girlfriends and I have been toying with the idea of attending a girl''s surf camp weekend in Southern CA sometime soon...any suggestions?
9.gif

Make you a deal...you teach us how to surf, I''ll teach you how to ride horses when you come to NY for your Leon visit!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
OTM, I''d love to see a close up of what you call a thin girdle because I want to know if its the same as what I call a thin girdle!

Yes I do surf though not alot anymore due to an injury I obtained while surfing! And I grew up showing on the B circuit in the NY/NJ/CT area...I lived near the USET...so I know how to ride too! But I''d gladly ride with you any time I''m back east. I miss owning a horse so much!

Glad to hear you''re keeping that lovely setting!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so glad that your setting is as sturdy as it is lovely!!!
36.gif
36.gif

I would have hated for you to have to change it. The new photos of your stone are just WONDERFUL!

overthemoon

Rough_Rock
Surfgirl - very interesting! You were riding in the same area as I have for most of my life. I''m a Three-Day person primarily, so we probably never crossed paths on the show circuit. Would be funny if we somehow had, though!

My schedule is wacko so I''ll probably put the surf camp on hold till next year - but I''ll be sure to let you know if I head to your neck of the woods
1.gif

I''ll see if I can get some decent photos of the girdle for you. I don''t have a great base of reference, really - it just seems very delicate (almost sharp) in some sections. To me, that means thin.

Stone Hunter - thanks for the compliments! It''s been fun learning how to take super close-up photos - especially when trying to capture the essence of something so beautiful
30.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
How did I miss this thread??

Anywho, I''m glad you finally found out what it was! and that the news was even better, yay!!

It''s gorgeous, thanks for the pics!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I love old mine and old european cuts. You have a beauty and what a unique diamond to have. I''m glad your mind was put to rest! Enjoy your ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results