shape
carat
color
clarity

McCain not Natural Born Citizen

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
yep.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is one eloquent thread so far. lol.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Citizen enough to serve in the U.S Military...

I realize the regs have sinced changed for foreign born citizens serving in the U.S. Military, but when I tried to join the Navy in 2003 they wouldn''t take me as I am a Brit....

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
WTH IWPO?! That''s kind of wack. How long had you lived here at the time?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke
you didn''t know that he was born outside the U.S.?

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
There''s no constitutional text regarding presidential eligibility and nicotine addiction... is there? Wait - that''s a topic for another thread...
2.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Interesting article.

IWPO, that is very unusual. My father served as a Marine to earn US citizenship and many many of my students join so that they can become citizens...they are mostly illegal Latin Americans and South Asian high school students. The recruiters drool over them. I am 99% certain that the recruiters help them get their green card so that they can then join. So, there is hope for you if you still want to join linky

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My husband thinks Republicans are going to use this as a reason to nominate someone else as their candidate come September.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t DF. I''ve never read any biographical information about him except the Vietnam-present. Never thought there was reason to.

KimberlyH-Who does he think they''d nominate instead?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Newt Gingrich.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. Why is that?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
It''s just his hunch. He said he thinks Newt didn''t run because he wants to be annointed king as opposed to running, which he, Newt, sees as a waste of time.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/12/2008 11:26:39 AM
Author: Ninama

There''s no constitutional text regarding presidential eligibility and nicotine addiction... is there? Wait - that''s a topic for another thread...
2.gif
nope,not even drug addiction. remember JFK ?
2.gif
there''re more Prez that smokes than non.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I read that, too. I would be very surprised if he isn''t allowed to run...it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Surely the people who don''t want McCain to be President can do better than this - even the NYT.

I don''t believe the Constitution defines "natural born citizen" anyway. Hard to argue that a kid born to American citizens born outside the country is not "natural born".

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
It seems to me that this would be going after McCain based on a technicality. However, this one phrase in the article got me: "some people born in the Canal Zone when it was under American jurisdiction have been deported from the United States or convicted of being here illegally." Was McCain born on an American base?

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
He won''t be pushed out of the race for this, nor should he. Being born to military parents in a military zone should not disqualify him.
I have known about this for a while, but it doesn''t come up much in part, I think, because both sides know it is a non-issue.

I am voting against him come November, but I still think he has a right to be beaten!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, this is a huge stretch. I think it appears petty and desperate when people seek out such a nonsensical technicality. It''s interesting news I suppose, but not earthshaking.

I have a feeling, this years campaign is going to get very petty and really ugly. Not that it would be any different than prior presidential campaigns, but this year, I think it is going to be worse.

I have to hand it to McCain for at least being so vulgar at times, that he knows it will never make the news because it violates FCC regulations.
20.gif

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
6 and a half years.

I am not sure what the deal was, but the Navy was all excited to take me as an officer but once they found out I was a British citizen they pulled my application.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 10:52:41 PM
Author: iwannaprettyone
6 and a half years.

I am not sure what the deal was, but the Navy was all excited to take me as an officer but once they found out I was a British citizen they pulled my application.
Well, you do look like you could be one of those undercover double agents...matahari-ish and all that rot! Pip pip...
28.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Known about it for donkeys'' years. Complete non-issue. Yaaawwwwn....

Next...?

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/15/2008 8:29:20 AM
Author: ksinger
Known about it for donkeys'' years. Complete non-issue. Yaaawwwwn....

Next...?

Agreed -

Disclaimer - all of the following is simply my opinion.

I would hope the fact that he was "citizen enough" to be held captive as a POW for years and refused to betray his country would help to overlook this tiny, null infraction.

I''m not a McCain fan nor am I an Obama fan. I haven''t made my mind up yet - and this small footnote isn''t going to weigh in at all - and I don''t THINK it will matter to lots of Americans...

Daydreamer7130

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 3:09:47 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 7/12/2008 11:26:39 AM
Author: Ninama

2.gif
nope,not even drug addiction. remember JFK ?
2.gif
there''re more Prez that smokes than non.

Or the former Alcoholic - the prez we have now.... UGGGGGH!
20.gif

aliciagirl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 9:29:51 PM
Author: miraclesrule
Yeah, this is a huge stretch. I think it appears petty and desperate when people seek out such a nonsensical technicality. It''s interesting news I suppose, but not earthshaking.

I have a feeling, this years campaign is going to get very petty and really ugly. Not that it would be any different than prior presidential campaigns, but this year, I think it is going to be worse.

I have to hand it to McCain for at least being so vulgar at times, that he knows it will never make the news because it violates FCC regulations.
20.gif

I didn''t realize how truly vulgar and un-PC he was until just recently, and I read the news everyday! So they definitely are doing a good job of that not coming up. I think it''s terribly offensive and obnoxious.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Iwanna, were you a US citizen when you applied, or a British citizen? My father was drafted into the army before he was a US citizen, but was in the process of becoming a citizen, so I don''t think you even technically even need to be a US citizen to serve. But once you are a citizen you do have to (I don''t know the technical term for it) renounce citizenship to other countries, basically say you are a US citizen only. From what I remember according to my Dad, Greece considers him having a dual citizenship (Greece and US) while US considers him only a US citizen. This was obviously a few years back and the rules might have changed, but I would be surprised the rules would have gotten more rather than less strict.

As far as McCain and natural-born citizen, I don''t know what the legal definition is, but I would think if both of your parents are US citizens, you are a natural born citizen even if you were born on a military base in another country, in another country while your parents were on vacation, in a plane in the atmosphere, on a cruise chip in international waters, etc. I think the exclusion is for "naturalized" citizens only.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay so this is from Wikipedia so someone might want to look at the direct source, but this is what it says:

"Congress first recognized the citizenship of children born to U.S. parents overseas on March 26, 1790, under the first naturalization law: "And the children of citizens of the United States that may be born beyond sea, or outside the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural born citizens."[8][9]" (my highlight)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results